BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 cold start rough idle

06-10-2022, 02:43 AM   #23
ZEITGEIST74
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I was having this exact issue on my 2016 X1 with 45k miles. I took it into a BMW dealership service department and told them I believed it needed a computer update from what I’ve read to fix the issue and was charged nearly $550 ($175 to diagnose) to fix the car. I’m pretty annoyed that they even charged me when it’s their software “glitch.” I’m rather shocked it wasn’t a recall as I don’t feel I should be out $550 to fix a problem that their own software causing the issue to begin with. Not happy about this at all… should I contact BMW about this or is everyone having to pay $550 or am I just a sucker. I feel like this could be a class action lawsuit. It’s also a dangerous issue since the car can jerk backwards or forwards if you’re not prepared.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 12:57 PM   #24
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEITGEIST74 View Post
I was having this exact issue on my 2016 X1 with 45k miles. I took it into a BMW dealership service department and told them I believed it needed a computer update from what I’ve read to fix the issue and was charged nearly $550 ($175 to diagnose) to fix the car. I’m pretty annoyed that they even charged me when it’s their software “glitch.” I’m rather shocked it wasn’t a recall as I don’t feel I should be out $550 to fix a problem that their own software causing the issue to begin with. Not happy about this at all… should I contact BMW about this or is everyone having to pay $550 or am I just a sucker. I feel like this could be a class action lawsuit. It’s also a dangerous issue since the car can jerk backwards or forwards if you’re not prepared.
Whaat!? That seems like a lot for only a software update!
      06-22-2023, 07:56 PM   #25
crespo18
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive 2017

Hi, did someone finally know what was causing the rought idle at cold starting?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 06:01 AM   #26
jw9803
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X1 xDrive

Garage List
Mine did this for a few months. It finally threw a code of 151001 - Ignition timing in idle too early after cold start. There is a service bulletin to fix the programming error in the DME. One year later after being re flashed by the dealer it has never happened again.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 09:53 PM   #27
ddiepo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda Fit, BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEITGEIST74 View Post
I have the same problem, it seems random but behaves exactly as described. Anyone know if this cost is typical for dealers? If so I'd be happy to try to do it myself if I can, but suspect I wouldn't be able to get my hands on the updated firmware or instructions.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 05:12 AM   #28
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiepo View Post
I have the same problem, it seems random but behaves exactly as described. Anyone know if this cost is typical for dealers? If so I'd be happy to try to do it myself if I can, but suspect I wouldn't be able to get my hands on the updated firmware or instructions.
You could do it yourself. Need e-sys + full PSDZ data, circulating round on the interwebs and bmw forums.
Note full psdz includes all firmware files and is around 250GB

Then follow this guide:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/f.../#post-8737312
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 04:14 PM   #29
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I've had no time to hit the dealership with the wife's car.. I just tell her to count to 30 before backing out her car. It is rather annoying though. I've done all the plugs etc etc and I'm convinced it's just the software update that's going to fix it. The dealer said the updates are free if I can point them to the TSB fixes I want.. if not it'll cost me.

IF somoene posts a better guide/link to all the files I would probably do this, but at this point I'm rather out of time to research all this and download everything and hold my breath.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 07:28 AM   #30
kvndng
Rep
Drives: 2017 bmw x1

I just had this issue and a CEL came on - it ended up being a faulty fuel vent valve
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:10 AM   #31
wittyet
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvndng View Post
I just had this issue and a CEL came on - it ended up being a faulty fuel vent valve
that sounds like my problem as well,
the fuel tank breather valve failed before the winter and I didn't replace it, and this winter this new symptom show up.
Appreciate 0