BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

What does it take to screw up a wheel?

First, let me say what a bitch it is to commute on the main Interstate route from a city to one of its most active drive-up recycling sites. I'm not on the route for long, but long enough to have encountered cardboard boxes, car hoods, scrap steel and logging chains that have fallen off of trucks on their way to pick up some spare cash.

Today I caught something with my rear passenger's side wheel. I'm not even sure what; I never did see it. But looking at the wheel, it seems to have been a chunk of concrete. I felt it, and the impact put a small rough-edged flare in the edge of the wheel rim.

My TPS stayed all green, but what about my wheel?

Should I have it checked? Can I have it smoothed out? Any advice?

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #2
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

File a claim with your insurance company and get a new wheel. Could be a safety hazard. Cast wheels are not the strongest.

Of course as they say, pics are worth a thousand words!
      05-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

OE wheels are usually about the strongest and stand up well to road hazards. That said, it is possible to bend or crack any wheel. There are wheel repair shops in most large cities that do good cosmetic work or even more serious repairs if you don't buy a new wheel. I've used RimPro.com in Phoenix (had to ship the wheel of course) and was very happy with the results for ~$125.
      05-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep

OK, in the light of day & upon closer inspection, I see that the "road mine" I hit also cut my tire, so that you can lift a flap of the exterior rubber.

I'm going in to let the dealership make good on my road-hazard warranty. We'll see if that includes wheel work as well as a new tire....

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

If you have to take it to your insurance I hope the debris you hit was moving. If it was sitting on the road you comprehensive will not cover the damage. Kind of like hitting a deer or stone hitting your windshield. Moving objects are covered by comp. If the concrete was still it is like hitting a post or guard rail, you file a claim and your insurance will go up.

Hope this helps.
      05-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep

BMW's wheel-and-tire warranty will cover the cut-tire damage but not the "cosmetic" dent in the wheel. While I wait approximately 5 days for the replacement tire to come in (1 Series tires are rare right now), the dealership issued me a 3 Series loaner with 445 miles on it.

That's pretty good service.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0