BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Will BMW ever adopt support for Android Auto?

Closed Thread

02-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
First, BMW's explanation that there's too may different Android phone manufacturers and standards, etc ... is just bullshit. Android Auto is the standard, and there is no differentiation between Samsung's or Google's or Motorola's or LG's or Blackberry's implementation of it. AA is AA is AA is AA.

Second, I don't buy the affluence argument in the least. Android has a substantial market share. No one is asking BMW to support BBOS or Windows Phone here. Android has a substantial market share among the target demographics for BMW cars.

Third, this is now a deal breaker for me on my next car. BMW has no single car in its current offerings that is compellingly better than others in the marketplace. I will not buy another car that does not support Android Auto.
Couldn't agree more. I'm dealing with the misery of Toyota's Entune 3.0 system on my recent new car. On my 135i, I've bypassed the need for Android Auto by installing the capability to mirror my Android phone's A/V to my iDrive screen. Doing it this way isn't perfect but works really well overall.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #24
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Couldn't agree more. I'm dealing with the misery of Toyota's Entune 3.0 system on my recent new car. On my 135i, I've bypassed the need for Android Auto by installing the capability to mirror my Android phone's A/V to my iDrive screen. Doing it this way isn't perfect but works really well overall.
The problem with mirroring for me is massive fines and points in BC for touching your phone screen unless the car is pulled over (even at a red light).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 08:07 PM   #25
rjmdubois
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, BMW 530e

Quote:
Third, this is now a deal breaker for me on my next car. BMW has no single car in its current offerings that is compellingly better than others in the marketplace. I will not buy another car that does not support Android Auto.
I fully agree. Already considering embracing the Dark Side.

(a C300 to be clear)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #26
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I agree - it's a major let down not to have Android support. However in the models I would look at BMW offers a manual transmission, I am willing to forego the complete phone integration for the manual.

Quote:
First, BMW's explanation that there's too may different Android phone manufacturers and standards, etc ... is just bullshit. Android Auto is the standard, and there is no differentiation between Samsung's or Google's or Motorola's or LG's or Blackberry's implementation of it. AA is AA is AA is AA.

Second, I don't buy the affluence argument in the least. Android has a substantial market share. No one is asking BMW to support BBOS or Windows Phone here. Android has a substantial market share among the target demographics for BMW cars.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 02:09 AM   #27
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

99% Sure BMW will offer AAP. Problem is that until it gets more integrated (ie use of cluster/HUD), I will not use.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 06:29 AM   #28
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
BMW already said they won't do it. They prefer to go the apps route which makes sense from a $ perspective. Forces you to purchase Connected+ subscription. I used CarPlay with wife's phone and to be honest, it's a piece of shit. The Apple forced eco system to conform to only what they allow made 3rd party apps on CarPlay with more functionality than the standard Apple counterparts relatively unusable since many features had to be taken away. The UI restrictions placed on CarPlay apps makes Waze maps for example less detailed than on the phone. Same with GMaps.
Compared to iDrive, CarPlay is a joke. From what I've seen, where CarPlay comes in, are these US brand customers (Ford, GM), where they are coming from a brutal Sync or Intellilink/MyLink system that was pure trash from a UI experience.

I'll definitely still pass on CarPlay in a BMW though. I much prefer iDrive.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #29
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Corvette, '15 X5,

Putting this aside for a few... let me just appreciate iDrive. I have iDrive 4, and that thing is ages ahead some of the stuff people are releasing in 2019... It's BY FAR the smoothest UI i've ever played with. I have a '15 corvette, '17 malibu and my parents have '14 ML350 and '11CL550. they don't even compare to the iDrive. I can't imagine how awesome ID6 is

at least in my malibu I got android auto (which I use often) so it replaces the shitty UI.

for the BMW, it's not the biggest fail because iDrive is very tolerable.

that being said, I believe it's coming. I remember seeing a video of it being mentioned. I will look for it if anyone is interested
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #30
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Also of note, I miss being able to use two phones simultaneously. With my CIC iDrive system, I can pair up a second phone as my office phone. With this feature, I can receive and place calls through either phone.

When I got the new C-HR, I told my salesman about this ability I have in my BMW and he was pretty shocked to hear something like this was possible.

I took advantage of this feature extensively when my 135i was my daily because I have a work cell and a personal cell.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:34 PM   #31
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Part of the overall issue is that bmw doesn't do a good job of showing how much better idrive is than car play or android auto at certain things.

They also don't offer the full idrive experience on every model... customer has to option up to it. That is where I think they are missing out, the average customer who just wants a simple way to interact with Waze, maps, phone, messages and doesn't want to order or interact with the factory nav is looking for CarPlay/android auto. Just about every other brand offers those features aimed at the below nav level systems even though they are offered lineup wide.

In the US market anyway they are seen as "standard features" and bmw doesn't seem to get that. They are going out of their way to push customers toward their solution vs democratizing it based on the consumers choice. Clearly they are comfortable with their profitability and sales projections even though some buyers are walking due to either charging for CarPlay or not offering android auto. It may be small potatoes overall but because of the high profile of those two offerings and they being offered standard on 20k cars, the optics of it is significantly worse for the brand. I think they are going to feel it most over time, maybe not with returning buyers who are used to idrive integration but new buyers looking to come into the brand will just be reinforced with the worst parts of the brands reputation for being over priced and forcing customers to buy their way.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:34 PM   #32
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
Compared to iDrive, CarPlay is a joke. From what I've seen, where CarPlay comes in, are these US brand customers (Ford, GM), where they are coming from a brutal Sync or Intellilink/MyLink system that was pure trash from a UI experience.

Tell us how you feel in the next couple of years when BMW stops updating iDrive and you start hitting compatibility issues with the apps.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:21 AM   #33
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post

Tell us how you feel in the next couple of years when BMW stops updating iDrive and you start hitting compatibility issues with the apps.
It's not like iDrive will just decide to stop working one day. My CIC and NBT vehicles both work great for what I use them for:
-Both phones paired at the same time
-Bluetooth audio streaming

I understand people use their infotainment in much larger capacities, I'm just not one of those people. These are old cars, MY2013, MY2015.

Ultimately, I just don't see myself using CarPlay. I've tried it via Wireless in a few loaners I've had, as well as a few rental cars. I just feel boxed in and very limited. Messages? Ya, good luck with that, the way Siri has been going the last few years, I'm not missing out on anything there.

Google Maps in CarPlay as a passenger was clunky, I can't do anything else on the phone, without losing what was happening with the directions, it's a bit useless with too many compromises. This was about 4 months ago, maybe things have changed.

I also much prefer my Nav through iDrive, but it's all down to personal preference.

I tried to help my parents in the G05 by using CarPlay, and we all came to learn that iDrive was a far superior system delivering a simpler user experience when set up properly. 95% of they need is already on their home screen when the vehicle is started, and if it's not, it is 1 button click away on the iDrive controller. That won't change, compatibility down the road with new Bluetooth standards might, but iDrive itself will continue to remain a very purposeful built system and should be able to serve the main uses and needs for open communication standards (Bluetooth album art, telephone calls etc...)

BMW is already getting massive semi-conductor scale and pricing on having CarPlay in every car they produce (from an infotainment / chipset perspective). It's a smart move, makes development resources way more efficient to a larger scale of customers. However, going one step further to charge customers an annual fee to use it? Ya, I'll gladly pass if I have iDrive at my disposal.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #34
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

The unfortunate part about CarPlay is that it came from Apple. The place where people think they know better than everyone else and believe theirs is the only way to go. It is also a place where there are enough sheeps around using their stuff they can say "our way or the highway". I've used Android Auto on many systems and it's a heck of a lot better than CarPlay.

iDrive depends on apps to work with services. Right now there's Spotify for music. No other option to use other providers other than using BT over the phone. The intent around CarPlay and Android Auto is the ability to use your car's infotainment buttons to select stuff on the phone instead of reaching for the phone each time.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #35
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

The thread is about Android Auto and the lack of support. Given the support in iDrive for iOS, the posts comparing iDrive to CarPlay are useless, irrelevant, and completely off-topic. There is no similar support for Android in iDrive. Period.

We get Spotify and iHeart integration. That's all. Nothing else and Spotify integration's been broken for months (we have to use an old version of Spotify for it to work). In addition, in Canada, we don't even get that because we don't get the Android Connected app (again, install from .apk to workaround).

Since BMW's strategy of trying to get app makers to integrate their APIs is a complete failure, their decision not to support AA is highly relevant to Android users and completely unforgiveable for 2019.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #36
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

So, I've actually heard they're working on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 02:28 AM   #37
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The thread is about Android Auto and the lack of support. Given the support in iDrive for iOS, the posts comparing iDrive to CarPlay are useless, irrelevant, and completely off-topic. There is no similar support for Android in iDrive. Period.
I do not see it as pointless. AAP would be running on top of IDrive, just like Carplay. Adding software to support AAP is not going to make it magically different then Carplay. Unless integrated to support cluster and HUD, it will lack similar appeal.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 02:48 AM   #38
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Mo@BMWofFairfax - can you tell us if you got this information from a reliable source?

The official BMW line up until now has been no support for AA and no plans.

The official reason given for no AA support has included concerns about privacy of data held by Google.
But frankly this is a case of BMW being more concerned about itself than concerned about their customers.

BMW does not officially monitor or respond to social media channels like this - they have no interest in connecting with their customers in this way or responding to what actual customers want.....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #39
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

I had not seen any official partnerships announced, yet the following suggests there is:

https://www.factoryradioparts.com/bl...s-android-auto
https://www.cartelligent.com/blog/sh...e-android-auto
https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/new...0-infotainment
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #40
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
Mo@BMWofFairfax - can you tell us if you got this information from a reliable source?

The official BMW line up until now has been no support for AA and no plans.

The official reason given for no AA support has included concerns about privacy of data held by Google.
But frankly this is a case of BMW being more concerned about itself than concerned about their customers.

BMW does not officially monitor or respond to social media channels like this - they have no interest in connecting with their customers in this way or responding to what actual customers want.....
Ze Germans are actually pretty consistently uptight about privacy matters. I know it seems quaint in this day and age when Alexa and Chrome are sitting there literally listening to every word you say ... but they have gone as far as replace Microsoft Windows in entire towns due to privacy concerns.

I get that if that's the ecosystem you're invested in, can be pretty damn annoying, but I honestly take them at their word that it's German privacy concerns not any animus against Google - other than the fact that they've created an ecosystem that slurps down so much user info.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #41
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
The unfortunate part about CarPlay is that it came from Apple. The place where people think they know better than everyone else and believe theirs is the only way to go. It is also a place where there are enough sheeps around using their stuff they can say "our way or the highway". I've used Android Auto on many systems and it's a heck of a lot better than CarPlay.

iDrive depends on apps to work with services. Right now there's Spotify for music. No other option to use other providers other than using BT over the phone. The intent around CarPlay and Android Auto is the ability to use your car's infotainment buttons to select stuff on the phone instead of reaching for the phone each time.
Dude Android Auto is considerably more buggy than CarPlay. Go to any forum of an automaker that offers both and there are always way more complaints about Android Auto being broken. I wish we could get past the "sheep" comments in regards to people's preference of phones. People like what they like just like some people prefer MB to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #42
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Dude Android Auto is considerably more buggy than CarPlay. Go to any forum of an automaker that offers both and there are always way more complaints about Android Auto being broken. I wish we could get past the "sheep" comments in regards to people's preference of phones. People like what they like just like some people prefer MB to BMW.
Android users suffer through the awful interface and green texts just so they are not seen as "conformists". iphone or bust! Join the heard! Bahhhhhh we are sheep bahhhh
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #43
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I've used in in a couple of Audis, Toyota and Ford without issues over the last year. Have not had any issues with them at all. "Sheep" comment is not about the phone, it's about Apple - the entire ecosystem. People who spent >$800 for a fast nVidia GPU to do rendering with High Sierra (eGPU support) and now no longer can with Mojave simply says Apple knows better and something better is coming are who I refer to as "sheeps". People who says Apple Maps is significantly better than GMaps because it looks better in CarPlay even when they use GMaps when not in the car are who I refer to as "sheeps". These are the sheeps that Apple can extract every $ out of regardless of whether it's really better or not.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #44
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
I've used in in a couple of Audis, Toyota and Ford without issues over the last year. Have not had any issues with them at all. "Sheep" comment is not about the phone, it's about Apple - the entire ecosystem. People who spent >$800 for a fast nVidia GPU to do rendering with High Sierra (eGPU support) and now no longer can with Mojave simply says Apple knows better and something better is coming are who I refer to as "sheeps". People who says Apple Maps is significantly better than GMaps because it looks better in CarPlay even when they use GMaps when not in the car are who I refer to as "sheeps". These are the sheeps that Apple can extract every $ out of regardless of whether it's really better or not.
It's a phone dude. Let it go. Nobody cares anymore what type of phone you use as they have all plateaued.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread