BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Will BMW ever adopt support for Android Auto?

Closed Thread

08-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #45
calzola@verizon.net
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
First, BMW's explanation that there's too may different Android phone manufacturers and standards, etc ... is just bullshit. Android Auto is the standard, and there is no differentiation between Samsung's or Google's or Motorola's or LG's or Blackberry's implementation of it. AA is AA is AA is AA.

Second, I don't buy the affluence argument in the least. Android has a substantial market share. No one is asking BMW to support BBOS or Windows Phone here. Android has a substantial market share among the target demographics for BMW cars.

Third, this is now a deal breaker for me on my next car. BMW has no single car in its current offerings that is compellingly better than others in the marketplace. I will not buy another car that does not support Android Auto.
I agree, I really don't understand BMW's position. Phone-car integration is very important to me. I make many overseas calls and these usually go through WhatsApp. AA still doesn't allow to make WhatsApp calls and I understand that Car Play does, but I still won't buy an iPhone. Nothing against Apple, I'm sure it is a great phone and people tell me that, but I just don't want to have to have an iPad, an iMac, an iWatch. I like my choices, so, thanks, but no, thanks.

All the reasons given here for BMW no implementing AA sound like a lot of horse manure to me.
- Android users not a part of BMW's target market.
Really? As one of the millions of Adroid users in the US who could afford a BMW I feel dismissed.
- BMW cares about privacy
And yet they allow Alexa and Google assistant to interact with their app.
- AA too difficult to implement because of too many variants.
I guess Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar and many others know something that BMW doesn't.

I love German cars but their quirks are annoying. BMW won't offer AA integration, Audi doesn't have remote start. I guess it's time to look at the Mercedes, Tesla or Alfa. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #46
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Amusing to read about people preferring iDrive to CarPlay. I can't fucking stand iDrive, and am working on retrofitting aftermarket wireless CarPlay so that I can never use it again. It's easily my most hated part of the car. I already use wireless CarPlay in the e46's every time I'm in the car, and freaking love it. Cop locations running on OE looking nav (Waze) can't be beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calzola@verizon.net View Post
Nothing against Apple, I'm sure it is a great phone and people tell me that, but I just don't want to have to have an iPad, an iMac, an iWatch. I like my choices, so, thanks, but no, thanks.
FYI the phone works just fine by itself. People just tend to buy more Apple products after the first because it's such a pleasant experience. But, by no means is it necessary/required.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #47
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
what version of iDrive do you have, i6 is easy and if I don't really know something I just hit the voice button and say the place I want to go to to (for example "trip computer", "head up display" etc.)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #48
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
what version of iDrive do you have, i6 is easy and if I don't really know something I just hit the voice button and say the place I want to go to to (for example "trip computer", "head up display" etc.)
I don't know-- whatever they put in in 2017.

My wants are pretty specific-- police locations, so I can keep my driver's license.

I do think my frustration with iDrive is how limited/useless it is compared to the head unit in my e46. In the e46 I can pull and reset codes for every module on the car, code the car, run harry's GPS lap timer on track, add extra gauges for things I care about, etc... and have Waze for cop locations plus my whole music/podcast library, in an easy to navigate while driving interface, without having to take my phone out of my pocket-- and all without paying for any monthly subscriptions beyond my existing phone bill.

iDrive does far, FAR less, what it does I don't really care about, and every aspect of what it does is more distracting and slower.

I hate it.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #49
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I don't know-- whatever they put in in 2017.

My wants are pretty specific-- police locations, so I can keep my driver's license.

I do think my frustration with iDrive is how limited/useless it is compared to the head unit in my e46. In the e46 I can pull and reset codes for every module on the car, code the car, run harry's GPS lap timer on track, add extra gauges for things I care about, etc... and have Waze for cop locations plus my whole music/podcast library, in an easy to navigate while driving interface, without having to take my phone out of my pocket-- and all without paying for any monthly subscriptions beyond my existing phone bill.

iDrive does far, FAR less, what it does I don't really care about, and every aspect of what it does is more distracting and slower.

I hate it.
Of course you'll only get cop locations (Waze) via CarPlay or Android Auto. No car maker will ship that functionality in their system (and we should be happy they don't as it would probably lead to laws banning the apps).

I'm very happy we're moving toward choices so we can all be happy...

The BMW CarPlay charge isn't exciting, but it isn't expensive enough to be bothered too much by...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 11:37 PM   #50
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Spent a lot of time with cars offering Apple CarPlay this past year, and it's what recently encouraged me to add CarPlay to my E90. If I was an Android user, I'd be just as keen on Android Auto.

I'm a heavy user of Waze, and having it larger and legally accessible through smartphone mirroring is a big plus here in Aus, as there are big fines (dollars and points) for even touching your phone. Combined with voice entry, access to podcasts and Spotify, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto are absolutely no-brainers in my mind, and offer me the functionality I want that is sadly lacking in manufacturers infotainment systems, including iDrive (3-4-5-6-7-whatever version).

As for BMW not supporting Android Auto, it seems a bit shortsighted. Sure the demographics of iPhone owners may skew to the wealthier end of the spectrum, but there are plenty of cashed-up Android users out there too. Combined with the mixed message of "enter your car with Android, but hookup your iPhone to the dash", it just doesn't make sense.

Not sure I believe the security concern or the argument that there are countless Android configs out there, my understanding is the car communicates with Google's own Android Auto app on your phone, not with all the other stuff on your phone. Could be wrong, but that's the way that makes sense, in which case it's simply the "app" in iDrive conversing with Google's Android Auto app on your phone. What the Android Auto app interfaces with (music, navigation, etc.) should be handled by the app on your phone, BMW doesn't get involved.

I can't understand the nickle-and-diming of the CarPlay subscription thing either. A cheap Kia comes with both CP and AA standard and in perpetuity.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #51
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

I've not done much usb work with Android, but it is definitely more painful to work than iOS when working with bluetooth. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more quality issues with Android Auto due to the large list of Android hardware and makers running slightly different variants of the software. However, most car companies in the space have done it, so there is not much of an excuse. It's an API and shouldn't require a ton of discovery.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #52
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Of course you'll only get cop locations (Waze) via CarPlay or Android Auto. No car maker will ship that functionality in their system (and we should be happy they don't as it would probably lead to laws banning the apps).

I'm very happy we're moving toward choices so we can all be happy...

The BMW CarPlay charge isn't exciting, but it isn't expensive enough to be bothered too much by...
Indeed-- I have no expectation BMW will add Waze support. But, really, that is kind of the underlying problem with iDrive, eh?

iDrive is, generally, kind of up to date with some features of a phone the year you buy the car. Each year that passes it gets more out of date and less supported.

CarPlay (and one day android auto) is driven by the phone-- so if you have a car that supports it, 10 years from now you'll still have all the latest apps/features through carplay.

CarPlay (and one day android auto) also doesn't require you to have an otherwise useless data plan for your car, since it uses the phone data you're paying for either way.

There's just no comparison in my mind-- iDrive starts out not as good, and then gets worse every year you own the car while carplay (and one day android auto) get better, while being cheaper to use.

Having wireless carplay in almost all my cars now feels like living in a happy, alternate future, where actual software engineers make user interfaces and everything works as I'd hope/expect-- all with no additional effort (phone stays in my pocket) or expense (data plan for the car).

Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #53
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

There are now ways to add CarPlay to iDrive 5/6 (pay BMW or have it coded), and a number of options to add both CarPlay and AA to iDrive 4.

The only product I've seen that adds AA to ID6 is this: http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...&cat=16&page=1

I know nothing about the company or the product, but it looks like options are starting to emerge.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #54
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
There are now ways to add CarPlay to iDrive 5/6 (pay BMW or have it coded), and a number of options to add both CarPlay and AA to iDrive 4.

The only product I've seen that adds AA to ID6 is this: http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...&cat=16&page=1

I know nothing about the company or the product, but it looks like options are starting to emerge.
Another, with wireless carplay (which is much better, imo, having now had both in the e46s):
https://www.joyeauto.com/category/bmw-apple-carplay/

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #55
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Indeed-- I have no expectation BMW will add Waze support. But, really, that is kind of the underlying problem with iDrive, eh?

iDrive is, generally, kind of up to date with some features of a phone the year you buy the car. Each year that passes it gets more out of date and less supported.

CarPlay (and one day android auto) is driven by the phone-- so if you have a car that supports it, 10 years from now you'll still have all the latest apps/features through carplay.

CarPlay (and one day android auto) also doesn't require you to have an otherwise useless data plan for your car, since it uses the phone data you're paying for either way.

There's just no comparison in my mind-- iDrive starts out not as good, and then gets worse every year you own the car while carplay (and one day android auto) get better, while being cheaper to use.

Having wireless carplay in almost all my cars now feels like living in a happy, alternate future, where actual software engineers make user interfaces and everything works as I'd hope/expect-- all with no additional effort (phone stays in my pocket) or expense (data plan for the car).
There is no question that CarPlay (and AA) will support a wider amount of applications and be updated more frequently as a result. This is a major reason these systems are great additions to the landscape.

But there is no guarantee that a car that supports CarPlay today (or AA for that matter) will support it even 2 years from now. Apple doesn't charge for CarPlay so they can release an update that requires new support in the car head unit that breaks compatibility. There isn't enough of a longterm track record for us to know how long any of this stuff will work...

Ideally, BMW CarPlay subscription means they will continue to support it longer than other manufacturers, but there is no proof of that. One thing I can be sure of is that the cars where it is "free" they most certainly won't extend much support to older models update wise as they won't make any revenue for their investment in supporting it post first sale.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #56
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
CarPlay is basically just an external touch screen for the phone. Time will indeed tell, but I can’t see any reason for Apple to drop support. iTunes still supports the first gen iPod
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #57
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
iTunes still supports the first gen iPod
I assume that you've heard Apple's announcement that iTunes is end-of-life with the upcoming MacOS upgrade?????
      08-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #58
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Another, with wireless carplay (which is much better, imo, having now had both in the e46s):
https://www.joyeauto.com/category/bmw-apple-carplay/
I'm using wireless CarPlay in my F22 through a second phone with a cheap prepaid SIM. But, I have far more affinity for Android than iOS and would much prefer and Android Auto solution.

Don't care about wireless AA as I would use AAGateway to make it wireless AA in any event.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #59
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I assume that you've heard Apple's announcement that iTunes is end-of-life with the upcoming MacOS upgrade?????
I assume you realize the “Music” app that that replaces it is still iTunes, just renamed and with non music items moved to other apps?????
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23676.50
      08-15-2019, 05:20 AM   #60
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post

But there is no guarantee that a car that supports CarPlay today (or AA for that matter) will support it even 2 years from now. Apple doesn't charge for CarPlay so they can release an update that requires new support in the car head unit that breaks compatibility. There isn't enough of a longterm track record for us to know how long any of this stuff will work...
I'd argue that iPod support that has been going for over a decade, beginning with iPods and adopting iPhones, is a pretty good track record.

Combine that with CarPlay being over 5 years old and retaining support, I think your concerns are unwarranted.

Apple is pretty good with supporting things long term.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23676.50
      08-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #61
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Did others check this out yet: https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAutoIdrive

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...-from-mid-2020
Appreciate 1
nlaak85.50
Closed Thread