BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
arisonford
Rep
Drives:

Dealer scratched my rims??!?!

I recently took my car in for an oil change and have something else checked out. they called me at 5 o'clock the day after it was supposed to be ready but i was on my way to do something else. so i decided to rush and get rid of my boring 328xi and get my car back.

i rushed out of there to make my other appointment. the next morning i noticed the front left wheel badly scratched. i know i did not do it between picking up the car and pulling it into my driveway. also they "washed" the car and i could tell it was scratched before this was done since the tire shine covered up the rash that would have been on the bumper. also there were fresh metal shavings.

What do i do now. The rims were NOT scratched before i brought it in, but i left without checking. they usually take pictures when i drop it off for just this reason, but i didnt call until the next day. i left a message saying it was them but how can i prove it?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Just ask them if they can help you out with it. Be NICE, and RESPECTFULLY when talking to them about it. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

They will probably do a buff and polish on them for you if it isnt past the clear coat, or into the metal. If not, ask them for a break on your next servicing if the scratches arent too bad for you to live with. If they are, ask if you can get a new wheel.

Above all, be easy as you should always check over the whole car before you drive off the lot. Remember for next time.

EDIT: didnt see it was into the metal from above.... ouch. Just ask be level headed man, its all you can do. Hopefully they want your return business and will work with you.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

+1 to what Daniel135i said.

This whole ordeal is why I always do a walk-around when I pick up my car from any type of servicing. Sucks, but it is food for thought.
      08-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
I had a similar incident, although I did do a walk around, the car was dirty and I didnt see a scratch on the side skirt. I called of the manager of the service dept and got them to paint the whole sideskirt, was easy enough. As long as you call w/ in a reasonable time, they will prob believe you. I would demand a new wheel, IMO, if its as bad as stated
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
BMWfan69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Coupe, AW/Terracotta

I had the same thing happen to brand new rims when I took delivery of my car. They repaired all 4 rims for me. I'm not too happy that I paid for new rims and I now have refurbished rims, but honestly they did a pretty good job. Sounds like this is fairly common. What kind of idiots do these dealers hire. Tell them you want them to repair them.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
20YRSDREAM
Life is short... Relax & Enjoy!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135icp SGM

It actually happened 2 me too (And I did posted here few months ago) when I took it in for a wheel alignment. I spoke to the service manager and all they did was patch it up.(Like just paint over it with a touch up silver paint.) You can still see it if you look @ it real close. They'll not gonna to replace a new rim for you because they've this special guy whose job is just doing this. But the worst thing is that after they fixed that up, the rest of my rims are all scratched. I don't even bother saying anything bc what's the point when your car is targeted already by the assholes/Mechanics. So I took my car some place else for service. Hope that would help.