BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Apple Carplay retrofit questions

05-20-2023, 04:06 AM   #1
Retepnikrap
Rep
Drives: 2012 320D Luxury

Apple Carplay retrofit questions

Hi
apologies if this has been covered before.
My car did not come with Apple carplay it is a 2018 G30 (I'm in the UK)
I believe that my head unit is compatible for full screen carplay, checking the version information it is showing:- NBevo_Y21432J
First question is, can I check to see if there is a wifi antenna connected without having to remove the head unit?
If not I have seen vids on how to fit one which is well within my capabilities but didn't want to buy one if one is already fitted.
Secondly, I see that you can get carplay coded for as little as £30 or $59 but if you go to the BMW store it is £265 or $300! Am I missing something why would you pay that much from BMW when you can have it coded from a 3rd party? Do you get exactly the same thing?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 12:59 PM   #2
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Check your fa if it has either 6CP Preparation Apple CarPlay or 6NW Telephony with wireless charging or 6WD WLAN Hotspot then it has wifi antenna.
The third party is patch to the headunit, if you take it to dealer for service they might flag it and sometimes refuse to update or work on the car. You can remove it before taking to dealer and restore it after.
It basically the same thing interms of functionality.
PM me if you need any assistance getting carplay.
Appreciate 0