dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
hehe so many 1st world problems.

-I bought a house in 2018. The seller replaced all three garage door opener mechanisms right before he sold it. My 2009 M3’s garage opener on the rear view mirror can’t operate/communicate with the new garage door mechanism and I need to have a remote control opener on my visor. The other cars in garage can open the garage from the rear view mirror buttons. So three years in, I still press the rear view mirror button on my M3 and then realize I’m an idiot.....

-my track car is a sedan E90 M3. When I do time attack with it, the announcers call it a grocery getter the whole time.

-certain delivery drivers refuse to walk up to my front door and deliver packages. Instead, they drop the package behind one of the garage doors. Of course, you can’t see the package when you open the garage and get in the car. So, yup, CRUNCH while backing out. Don’t ask how many times that’s happened.

-USPS must just hate me. Both in Los Angeles and here in Castle Rock, CO—-somehow, we are the last route of the day. Mail dude is rolling up at like 7PM with mail. In LA, sometimes the mail person would be walking the route in the dark with a head lamp!! What manner of cave man is this??

-why is it that my Toyota Tundra can live-monitor tire pressures, but my M3 track car is stuck in the stone ages and can’t?

-Our 3-car garage has three individual doors. Worst design ever!! The door bays are only 91” wide. A full size pickup truck is 96” mirror tip-to-mirror tip. I had to spend the extra money and get a truck with electronic folding mirrors to get in the garage so I didn’t have to be some heathen who has to exit the truck and manually fold the mirrors every time I enter and exit the garage!

-is Comcast’s cable TV guide the most worthless thing on earth? Channels from the same network like HBO spread everywhere. Duplicate HD and SD channels. Anything I want to watch is in the 600s and 700s.....Can’t find a damn thing. It’s Neanderthal.

-you know, I was pretty happy with my iPhone 11Pro. Great phone. In particular, the battery life was pretty darn good. But then they had to come out with 5G. So of course, I must move up to the 12Pro. Well, the battery life is shit by comparison! I guess I’ll be shopping for a 12 S Pro. I’m sure the sales pitch will be—- “Now with more battery life!!!”.....

-have you ever tried to roll up early to a track day to get your favorite paddock spot and SOMEONE HAS ALREADY TAKEN THE SPOT! Or worse, they don’t take your spot, but they’re right next to it and make it impossible for you to get into your normal spot? Now, like a poor loser, you have to figure out how to setup in the slums of some other part of the paddock. Day over. No new PB today.

-have you ever had a Start/Finish worker ruin your first hot lap on brand new slicks by throwing a Miata out on his warm up lap right in front of you?? And you even went to grid 18 minutes early to get the first spot! I don’t care what world you live in—-1st, 2nd, 9th or Mars—that’s the kind of stuff that should keep you up at night. “He better not toss a Miata out there in front of me tomorrow when the tires are new and the air is cold.” (Tosses and turns the rest of the night. Shows up to track fatigued due to lack of sleep.)

-last problem—-the reason this list is so long is that I’ve had plenty of time to sit here in the middle of the night and think of dumb stuff while I literally run back and forth to the bathroom prepping for a colonoscopy today!!!.......

Oh, so many troubles.
Appreciate 6
MKSixer34184.50
M_Six16963.50
Noneya251.50
RickFLM410979.50
      01-05-2021, 07:31 AM   #2246
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post

-I bought a house in 2018. The seller replaced all three garage door opener mechanisms right before he sold it. My 2009 M3’s garage opener on the rear view mirror can’t operate/communicate with the new garage door mechanism and I need to have a remote control opener on my visor. The other cars in garage can open the garage from the rear view mirror buttons. So three years in, I still press the rear view mirror button on my M3 and then realize I’m an idiot.....
I feel your pain. My MB garage door opener on the mirror has a super narrow broadcast span out the front of the car. So when I"m coming down my street at 90 degrees to the garage door, I need to remember to hit the opener well up the street. If I don't, I miss the angle needed to trigger the door. Then I have to wait until I'm in my driveway facing the door to get it to open. That means I have to actually stop in my driveway and wait for the door. Ticks me off every time.

Hopefully you got to your colonoscopy early so you were the first one through. Otherwise....eew.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
Noneya251.50
dogbone5354.50
      01-05-2021, 08:16 AM   #2247
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Garage door openers? Pushing buttons? My first-world problem is that I went outside to brush the snow off my car yesterday, and my home automation system's geofence detector didn't think that I went far enough away so it didn't automagically unlock my front door when I was done. I actually had to take off my glove and punch my 8-digit lock code into the door's keypad!!!!!
      01-05-2021, 09:55 AM   #2248
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

This whole idea of locking/unlocking doors, opening garages. Is this like that "rain" thing I keep hearing about??? There are no doors on my carport/garage/gazeebo, and I certainly never lock any doors at my house.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:36 AM   #2249
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Garage door openers? Pushing buttons? My first-world problem is that I went outside to brush the snow off my car yesterday, and my home automation system's geofence detector didn't think that I went far enough away so it didn't automagically unlock my front door when I was done. I actually had to take off my glove and punch my 8-digit lock code into the door's keypad!!!!!
Get a cellular Apple Watch and just tell your watch to unlock the door
I actually turned off the Geo-perimeter function so I know the door never change status.

However I use the passive lock with my vehicle's proximity key.

The only reason I use locks at all is to keep the honest people honest.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #2250
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Get a cellular Apple Watch and just tell your watch to unlock the door
I actually have *two* cellular Apple Watches, and swap between them so that I always have one on my wrist as a house remote control even while I sleep.

The problem is that Siri is such a b*tch with that one command, deciding to call a contact named "Mark - mobile" whenever I ask my watch to "unlock the front door." My DW and friends all laugh at me for even trying at this point, and I'm pretty sure that "Mark" has me on his block list by now. Truly a first-world problem.....
      01-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #2251
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Speaking of first-world, I was outside yesterday to start up my diesel pickup, aka: The Mighty Dodge. I actually had to put a key in the ignition...and turn it...twice! It hasn't been run in a month, and needed a second cycle of the grid heater before it would fire up.....
      01-05-2021, 01:07 PM   #2252
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
hehe so many 1st world problems.

There are add-on controllers you could get that would probably work, but there are also like 2-3 different ways to get your mirror to sync with garages. Some are set codes, some are rolling codes - not sure which one you have but I'm 99% sure you can resolve this one easily.

Bimmerfest thread on a 2008 here, but would need more info on your garage door to help more. Nothing you can't google though.
Quote:
-my track car is a sedan E90 M3. When I do time attack with it, the announcers call it a grocery getter the whole time.

Quote:
[1]-certain delivery drivers refuse to walk up to my front door and deliver packages. Instead, they drop the package behind one of the garage doors. Of course, you can’t see the package when you open the garage and get in the car. So, yup, CRUNCH while backing out. Don’t ask how many times that’s happened.

[2]-USPS must just hate me. Both in Los Angeles and here in Castle Rock, CO—-somehow, we are the last route of the day. Mail dude is rolling up at like 7PM with mail. In LA, sometimes the mail person would be walking the route in the dark with a head lamp!! What manner of cave man is this??
1. Package locker at your house for the delivery driver. Also, you could put a little food / drink stand out for them to draw them to a certain area, with a kinda/sorta obvious "this would be a good spot to drop / hide a package" big planter or something nearby.

2. Get some solar powered pathing lights to your mailbox / door, help em out. If you really want to get fancy with it and it's consistent timing you could probably get some disposable cups and leave em a hot cup of tea or something - a tiny bit of goodwill towards someone like that is always appreciated. My friend's dad was a postal worker for like 30 years, you definitely get your steps in by the end of the day.

Quote:

-Our 3-car garage has three individual doors. Worst design ever!! The door bays are only 91” wide. A full size pickup truck is 96” mirror tip-to-mirror tip. I had to spend the extra money and get a truck with electronic folding mirrors to get in the garage so I didn’t have to be some heathen who has to exit the truck and manually fold the mirrors every time I enter and exit the garage!
I'd probably rebuild the garage doors at that point for at least a 1+2 setup, buuuuut...you could also do a single triple wide setup like this guy.
Quote:
-is Comcast’s cable TV guide the most worthless thing on earth? Channels from the same network like HBO spread everywhere. Duplicate HD and SD channels. Anything I want to watch is in the 600s and 700s.....Can’t find a damn thing. It’s Neanderthal.
Fuck comcast with a rusty cheese grater.
Appreciate 1
dogbone5354.50
      01-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #2253
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Damn cats wake me up every morning I'm home because they don't want to wait for their automatic, wifi-enabled feeders to drop their premium Uber-expensive veterinarian and super-model approved yummies for breakfast.

And if their automatic, wifi-enabled Litter Robots filled with premium litter from some exotic location aren't sparkly clean? It's carnage in the household.

And if I forget to clean the carbon-filtered water bubbler or I forget to refill only with pure spring water carried down from the mountains of South America on llama's, or worst case- extremely well-filtered from the fridge? I get kitty death glares and my wife gets mad at me.

Last edited by flybigjet; 01-05-2021 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
Noneya251.50
Maynard3848.00
      01-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #2254
kb2wji
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 128 convertible 6MT

the Bluetooth in my 128 only allows phone calls...it doesn't work for music. Had to buy a stupid little Bluetooth adapter to listen to Pandora in the car. Is Bluetooth not all the same?

edit: Sorry dude, didn't mean to quote your post - I hit the wrong button

Last edited by kb2wji; 01-05-2021 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
kscarrol8910.50
      01-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #2255
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

My company has a Starbucks on campus that offers free drip coffee throughout the day.

Since I'm fancy I like to drink my coffee from a demitasse cup in my office which isn't practical for refills. So I have a thermos and I fill it up at the self serve then get a bout an hours worth of hot refills in my fancy little cup.

Since the pandemic though, we're not allowed to use the self service so a service girl pours my order in a paper cup, then I transfer the contents into my thermos when I get back to my office.

For nearly a year now I order a grande, Pike Place, no room, which will fill my thermos perfectly. But the counter girl constantly pours me an inch shy which only fills my thermos to 90%.

It doesn't really affect my life much but it's the same feeling I get when I fill my car up with gas, but then after I start up my projected tank range is only 315 miles instead of 340 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 02:24 PM   #2256
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
Is Bluetooth not all the same?
Bluetooth as an RF protocol is a standard. What types of data are passed over RF (profiles) are also standards...but cannot cross-talk between profile types. Stereo audio uses the A2DP profile. Your mouse/keyboard uses HID profiles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tooth_profiles

01-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #2257
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I had a hard time deciding what to have on my pizza last night. Eh settled on pepperoni and sausage. As I sit here eating it again I'm realizing I should have gone Hawaiian.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #2258
kb2wji
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 128 convertible 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Bluetooth as an RF protocol is a standard. What types of data are passed over RF (profiles) are also standards...but cannot cross-talk between profile types. Stereo audio uses the A2DP profile. Your mouse/keyboard uses HID profiles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tooth_profiles

Ah, so cars that can do "both" have both profile types? My Accord will play music and can also make phone calls over the Bluetooth
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615277.00
      01-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #2259
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah, so cars that can do "both" have both profile types?
More than two. There's also a profile for sharing the phone book contacts.....
      01-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #2260
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Now that I’ve experienced carbon ceramic brake ownership, cleaning brake dust off a steel brake-equipped car just makes me hate life.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      01-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #2261
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

Quote:
Ah, so cars that can do "both" have both profile types? My Accord will play music and can also make phone calls over the Bluetooth
In a sense. My 128 was the same way so I just hard wired an Aux and USB-C cable and connected them both when getting in and use the AUX input.

Only issue doing it that way is when taking a call you'd have to turn the volume up since incoming voice was lower than the music at the same level, so when the call ended and the music resumed it'd blow your ear drums out (if you didn't remember to lower it back down).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #2262
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Now that I’ve experienced carbon ceramic brake ownership, cleaning brake dust off a steel brake-equipped car just makes me hate life.
Iron brakes puhleeze.

My first world problem: being instinctively pedantic.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      01-05-2021, 04:53 PM   #2263
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Iron brakes puhleeze.

My first world problem: being instinctively pedantic.
You think that's bad...what about yesterday being made to fill up with 91 octane fuel?!?!

What are we...Savages?
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
kscarrol8910.50
wdb4732.00
      01-05-2021, 05:11 PM   #2264
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
You think that's bad...what about yesterday being made to fill up with 91 octane fuel?!?!

What are we...Savages?
The highest octane I can get here is 93. Sunoco used to have 94 Ultra. No mas. Stopped a few years ago. Is it regional or everywhere?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      01-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #2265
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
The highest octane I can get here is 93. Sunoco used to have 94 Ultra. No mas. Stopped a few years ago. Is it regional or everywhere?
93 is the typical around here but at the beeotch-azz station I went to yesterday. It's regional and governed by the local environmental laws.

When I want a real boost in the M6 I will get a 5 gallon dump can of Chevron 110 and mix it to 98 octane. The car just snarls. Unfortunately it is $15 per gallon!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15761.00
      01-05-2021, 05:48 PM   #2266
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Fill up at a smelly/slimy petroleum pump? Brake dust? What kind of savages are all y'all?!?

My car runs on clean electrons, and converts excess kinetic energy into recycled electrons instead of making heat and brake dust.

FWIW, the available gasoline octanes is set in each regional market, based on the elevations above sea level. On the coast, we have 87/89/93 (R+M)/2 octane. I remember seeing 85/88/91 in Wyoming about 25 years ago, and 91 being "super" in Kansas. Those in other parts of the world use the RON octane number, which makes North American fuel sound third-world.....