BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board What to do about my COLLEGE situation?

06-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

What to do about my COLLEGE situation?

I may possibly lose my tuition scholarship at Penn State. I have been going there for one semester and I love it to death. I have already gone to three schools before hand, a community college and two bullshit universities due to crazy things going on in my life. I finally found a place I love and want to stay but I am an out of state student and tuition is insane there. I am looking for some sound advice regarding my situation.

Some need to know to give best advice tid-bits:

-Tuition is $19-26,000 per year out of state and I was awarded roughly $16,000 but that does not count rent that I would have to pay living off campus and dorms are out of the question

-I have NO one to co-sign for private loans and I do not have the means to take them out on my own

-I am already 23 and I have 41 credits, I would be a Junior after next semester

-I get a significant amount of financial aid from FAFSA, I always get maximum grants etc etc.

Some options I have considered:

Find an apartment there, work full time for 12 months and establish residency (providing I get granted it) and then return to school paying $10,000 less per year for tuition and stay at a good school

or

Transfer to a lesser school

or

Transfer to a school of similar caliber elsewhere

I am curious as to how much having a degree from Penn State would help in getting a good job vs. a weak school that no one really knows about especially in an economy that has forced employers to be extremely picky as to who they hire. I wonder how much help a Penn State degree will help me if I want to get into a top notch grad program vs. going to a weak sauce school. I feel behind, but if it is indeed worth it for me to stay at Penn State regardless of how long it may take for me to do so, then I would decide accordingly. It seems however that other schools of the same or similar caliber are out of state and around the same amount for tuition (in state schools here suck) or the ones that are out of state but close to home are private and expensive as hell:

UMass
Suffolk etc.

I'm in need of advice regarding this situation, suggestions of other schools are welcome as well. I think and stress over this daily and have thought of damn near everything so a few more minds to brain storm couldn't hurt.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

you should really talk to one of the college advisers that you can freely talk about your issues with they can probably help you out more then any of us can.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

To help you more, we need one more important thing.

What is your major?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 01:42 AM   #4
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

XXFORGED why did you make a new name? As for you situation, I would transfer to a similar school.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Why are you going to lose the scholarship?
      06-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
School doesn't matter as much as experience. Get a good internship or something and that is all the matters for most jobs.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0