BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Help! Rear seats fold?

05-13-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
OhJacky
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1 x28i

Help! Rear seats fold?

2021 X1 x28i Can't find that info in the web.

I'm wondering do the rear seats fold?

Without having the additional option added for $300 "Sliding and Reclining rear seat adjustment"
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Check for a pull loop where the seat bottom meets the seat back. There's 3 on my 2018 model allowing for a 40/20/40 split. If optioned, you may be able to drop the rear seats from the trunk using a lever found on the side above the cubby areas.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Shagohod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

As far as I'm aware the seats will be able to fold regardless of the options you have fitted, whether it be via a pull tab or a trunk-mounted lever. It'd be rather absurd to make THAT an option in a car like this, even for BMW.

The "slide and recline rear seats" option is just exactly what it sounds like, it gives the rear seats the ability to move forward and backward and recline the seat back to a small degree. The trunk lever might be part of that option as well because I have neither the lever nor sliding rear seats. They still fold via the tabs though.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #4
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

Just to echo what others have said, if the OP is simply asking if they fold 'flat', that is a standard feature and they do.

That is separate from the recline and slide option, which enables the rear seats to recline somewhat, as well as slide back and forth a small amount. I have this option in my MY21 USA build, and sadly the lever typically included with this option that is located in the trunk above the cubbies is not included. Not sure if this is unique to my USA build, or if BMW dropped that feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 04:03 AM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhJacky View Post
2021 X1 x28i Can't find that info in the web.

I'm wondering do the rear seats fold?

Without having the additional option added for $300 "Sliding and Reclining rear seat adjustment"
As others have indicated, all X1 (f48) rear seats can be folded forward so they lie flat. To fold rear seats you need to pull the fabric loops (there are three, one for each seat back). If your car had the adjustable sliding/reclining option, the lever is below front edge of the seat base. The loops can also be used to adjust seat backrest angle, if you do not hold the seat back when pulling the loops it will drop into fully flat(ish) position. To return seat back to upright/locked position you need to pull and hold the loops whilst pushing the seat back upright.

Earlier models had an option for a rear seat release from the boot/trunk, this consisted of two levers above the side cubby compartments. These remote switches were release only and seats had to be manually returned to upright position. In my car the right hand switch repeatedly failed. I understand the boot/trunk release was discontinued sometime in 2020. I attach pics for seat back release loop and sliding adjustment (if fitted). You may find useful to actually read your car manual, I find the BMW drivers guide app for smartphone and tablets (including ipad) useful, it is free and can be downloaded from App Store or google play store. The app is VIN specific so it will show features and is an electronic manual for your exact car. The attached image is from the app.
Attached Images

Last edited by MJE60; 05-16-2021 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
ttimbo281.50