BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Key cloned?

02-08-2021, 04:28 AM   #1
nicks88
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1

Key cloned?

Hi all,

I have a 2018 X1 and last night my security cameras picked up someone hovering around my front door with a mask on and a backpack. They left after about 2 minutes but had rucksack on their back which they always had facing the house. There were also 2 other people standing across the street.

I can only think they were trying to clone the key to the car via a scanner. They didn't drive away with it - so now I do not know if they were successful or not.

I've heard of the key relay attack. But is it even possible to clone a key like this and later on code a blank key and then at a later date drive off with the car?

What's people's advice if this is the case? Should I get everything reprogrammed out of paranoia?

Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:55 AM   #2
MarioGeo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Unfortunately this type of theft is becoming more and more frequent especially for cars with keyless entry access.

The electronic scanners are very performant and can pick small frequencies from the key, hence the recommendation of Faraday cage box .

I already mentioned on a different post the bad experience from one of my neighbour who discovered that her car completely disappeared despite of keeping her keys in Faraday box. Fortunately the police found the car few days later damaged and abandoned. The thieves not only managed to scan the frequency of the key but also to reprogram the car completely.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27072786

The best preventive action that you can take is a premium steering lock (with movement alarm) and a gps tracker on top of Faraday cage for keys.

Hope above info may help you.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-08-2021, 05:29 AM   #3
mateooo
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 SDRIVE16D 2018

In my opinion, the only real insurance for a peaceful sleep is good all-risk insurance. In my country, BMW, Audi, Mercedes and VW have a higher insurance premium, but this is the most effective way to insure yourself against thieves, because if your car is their target, usually nothing can stop them. in my case the insurance comes about 2-3% of the value of the new car, and it goes more cheaply with various bonuses and in case of repairs be sure to take the protection bonus.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 06:02 AM   #4
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

A good point about using the Faraday pouch/cage for the car keys. I always garage my car overnight and have sectional doors with remote control openers that use rolling codes and no external mechanical means of opening the doors. Additionally, when we moved into the house (new) there were wires showing in one corner of the garage, which the alarm company told me was to facilitate installation of a PIR. I'm was happy to have that fitted, so feel reasonably content on overnight car security. Or am I just going over the top!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 06:08 AM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks88 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2018 X1 and last night my security cameras picked up someone hovering around my front door with a mask on and a backpack. They left after about 2 minutes but had rucksack on their back which they always had facing the house. There were also 2 other people standing across the street.

I can only think they were trying to clone the key to the car via a scanner. They didn't drive away with it - so now I do not know if they were successful or not.

I've heard of the key relay attack. But is it even possible to clone a key like this and later on code a blank key and then at a later date drive off with the car?

What's people's advice if this is the case? Should I get everything reprogrammed out of paranoia?

Thanks for any help
It does look like a cloning/relay attempt. Luckily the security of remote key fobs has been significantly improved and the key goes into sleep mode after about 2 minutes. The key will not wake until it is moved (comfort access) or the unlock button pressed, so any attempt to scan/read or just relay signal should fail. It is probably a warning, perhaps install motion sensitive floodlight?

Many people are taking the added precaution of buying a “faraday cage” car key box, this blocks signal completely. I would suggest you notify the Police but I doubt they would be interested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y5GDR...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 06:15 AM   #6
MarioGeo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
A good point about using the Faraday pouch/cage for the car keys. I always garage my car overnight and have sectional doors with remote control openers that use rolling codes and no external mechanical means of opening the doors. Additionally, when we moved into the house (new) there were wires showing in one corner of the garage, which the alarm company told me was to facilitate installation of a PIR. I'm was happy to have that fitted, so feel reasonably content on overnight car security. Or am I just going over the top!
Nothing is over the top with these thieves.

Another method that they used in our neighbourhood was to burn the garage / house locks with a fire torch then to snap the lock.
Therefore, the house security and car security should always consider few layers to delay or surprise them.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 06:22 AM   #7
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateooo View Post
In my opinion, the only real insurance for a peaceful sleep is good all-risk insurance. In my country, BMW, Audi, Mercedes and VW have a higher insurance premium, but this is the most effective way to insure yourself against thieves, because if your car is their target, usually nothing can stop them. in my case the insurance comes about 2-3% of the value of the new car, and it goes more cheaply with various bonuses and in case of repairs be sure to take the protection bonus.
Ouch, 2-3% is a lot, this level would only be for younger/higher risk drivers in the U.K, or perhaps some very high theft risk areas.

For, safer drivers with a good insurance history, full comprehensive insurance (protected) is usually under 1% of new car price and can be as low as 0.5%. I will not complain again about my car insurance cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 06:25 AM   #8
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioGeo View Post
Nothing is over the top with these thieves.

Another method that they used in our neighbourhood was to burn the garage / house locks with a fire torch then to snap the lock.
Therefore, the house security and car security should always consider few layers to delay or surprise them.
Sorry to read things are that bad, I am grateful to live in a “quiet” Dorset village.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 06:47 AM   #9
mateooo
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 SDRIVE16D 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Ouch, 2-3% is a lot, this level would only be for younger/higher risk drivers in the U.K, or perhaps some very high theft risk areas.

For, safer drivers with a good insurance history, full comprehensive insurance (protected) is usually under 1% of new car price and can be as low as 0.5%. I will not complain again about my car insurance cost.

Before, premiums were even higher, but with Croatia's entry into the EU, they are slowly decreasing because the competition rates, but if it is around 1% in the UK, that is really good.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #10
nicks88
Registered
Rep

Thanks for all the replies.

I did read elsewhere about the 2 minute sleep thing with the keys, so that's reassuring somewhat as I haven't used the car or keys in days. The keys were also a fair way away from the door in a cupboard.

Nevertheless, I've bought a Faraday box now + pouches. Also blocked the car in the drive with a 20 year old Yaris... So they would have to move that somehow first! Albeit a pain now to shuffle cars when I do want to use the X1. Looking into bollards and steering locks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #11
nicks88
Registered
Rep

One thing actually, thinking about it more...how do I know if my key has motion sensing? I have comfort access, that I know...but not sure if the key fob has motion sensing.

Is it a simple case of putting the key next to the car for at least 2 minutes, then trying to open the door without moving the key?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 12:44 PM   #12
Rickardg
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: iX xDrive40

It can be checked inside the key fob, see attached pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #13
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickardg View Post
It can be checked inside the key fob, see attached pic
Thanks. That must be for a Swedish/European/Continental model because the UK one has totally different numbers.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 01:50 PM   #14
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Don't assume they're scanning for fob to car signals, some vehicles will offer data leaks upon a query, and others can be found via VIN.

Fob sniffing is not as rampant as some folks with tin foil hats claim, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but that you have to take it with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #15
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Fob sniffing is not as rampant as some folks with tin foil hats claim, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but that you have to take it with a grain of salt.
Hummm.....there are many recorded instances in the UK. In fact, if I remember correctly there were instances shown on UK TV showing the perpetrators being caught on CCTV.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #16
Shagohod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Hummm.....there are many recorded instances in the UK. In fact, if I remember correctly there were instances shown on UK TV showing the perpetrators being caught on CCTV.
No doubt, and it does sound like that is very likely what was going on here. However I certainly wouldn't be complacent and assume they were "only" after the car. Easily could've been casing a house for who knows what else. It's obvious, but OP lock your doors and windows as best you can every time you come and go from the house. Sleep with your phone closeby for a little while.

Recently I've been staying at a place owned by my employer, we had a rash of license plates being stolen. Couple days ago I heard a big commotion, about 20 cops swarming 2 cars, the cops were marked "gang unit" and I guess this group had been stealing plates to common cars so they can use the stolen plates while committing other crimes. I think the X1 being uncommon over here axtually saved me from trouble. There is nothing you can do to 100% secure every facet of your vehicle, but please stay smart and lock up everything you can. Violent crime is no joke and absolutely nothing you want to fall victim too, especially at the hands of three degenerate perps.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 10:26 PM   #17
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

Speaking of key fobs....had to order a new one from the dealer and it cost $480 USD!

What. The. F*CK
2020 x1 xDrive : Black Sapphire Metallic : Premium Package : Fine Wood Fineline Trim : Sport Seats : Wireless Charging : Trailer Hitch : WeatherTech Floor Lining, Cargo Mat, Bumper XL : Complete Blackout, Full Chrome Delete : BavSound Stage One Speaker & Ghost Subwoofer Upgrade : EuroStart Remote Engine Start : Heko Rain Guards
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 03:42 AM   #18
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Gets pricier and pricier.

I needed a second key for my ‘18 F33. It was $378 plus tax for the fob and cut keyblade. Went to pick it up and they said it’s about $150 to sync it. I laughed and told them I’m not paying you $150 to do something that takes ten seconds. I synced it myself and drove off the lot and never went back to that dealership for anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:03 PM   #19
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Extra key fob cost me $598 + 13% tax CAD in Canada (~$530 USD). It takes 2 weeks to order and ship from Germany.

No charge for 1 minute to sync it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:38 PM   #20
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post

3% in Toronto for me and my wife. We have high insurance rates in my Ontario province. Government always says they will do something to lower rates, but nothing ever happens.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-10-2021, 09:52 PM   #21
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

My key fob literally arrived next day. Picking it up tomorrow. Didn't even NEED it, just good to have an extra. Had to sacrifice my extra key fob when I had my remote start installed.
2020 x1 xDrive : Black Sapphire Metallic : Premium Package : Fine Wood Fineline Trim : Sport Seats : Wireless Charging : Trailer Hitch : WeatherTech Floor Lining, Cargo Mat, Bumper XL : Complete Blackout, Full Chrome Delete : BavSound Stage One Speaker & Ghost Subwoofer Upgrade : EuroStart Remote Engine Start : Heko Rain Guards
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #22
jmneidri
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Does anyone know how to program a used key fob with an X1 with push button start?
Appreciate 0