BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Standard vs. M-Sport suspension

02-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #1
SteveGu
Rep
Drives: 2016 x1

Standard vs. M-Sport suspension

Good day!

I am a recent lessee of a 2016 x1 ("xLine", I think this is standard in the USA), most previously I drove a 2011 335d. I have been following a thread on another forum, but have not received any reponses, so I thought I would post my question here. I have found that I much prefer driving my new car with the "driving mode" switch set to "sport"; not only are the transmission and throttle more responsive, but the feel of the car in cornering especially is much like I am used to from past BMWs. I checked the sticker from my x1 and it indicates manufacture in Brazil, and also lists "m-sport suspension" along the left side as "included".

I apologize if this information is easily found, as I have not been able to, but this raises a few questions, perhaps some here have the knowledge to answer:

I am sure there are parts differences between the standard and m-sport suspension, is there a reference I can view these?

What behavior differences might I be noticing if I had driven both types?

Does anyone know how this distinction intereacts with the eco/comfort/sport modes (DDC?)? What about placing the gearshift lever in "sport"?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

If you have M-Sport suspension (or standard suspension), Eco Pro/Comfort/Sport drive experience thingamajig will not change your ride settings. Only cars with DDC can stiffen up the suspension in Sport drive mode and that too can be disabled via iDrive. I don't really know if there is a visual difference between Standard/DDC/M-Sport suspensions. All I know is that M-Sport suspension is 1cm lower so that the M-Sport trim looks sporty compared to SE/xLine/Sport. The US customers used to get the rigid M-Sport suspension as standard due to roll-over regulations. But that is not the case any more apparently and you can order your car (any trim) with Standard, DDC or M-Sport suspension.

As for the ride quality, same tyres and wheels, here's how it works:
  • Standard suspension (and Eco/Comfort modes if you have DDC) will give you a soft and comfortable ride.
  • Sport mode (DDC), and regardless of whether you've selected it via the rocker switch or gear lever, stiffens up the suspension for a more sporty ride.
  • M-Sport suspension has one setting (similar to the standard suspension). It's as rigid as DDC in Sport mode, but has 1cm less playroom.

Based on my personal experience (18" wheels + run flat tyres + awful roads), the difference between the rigid suspension (DDC in Sport) and softer suspension is very noticeable. But if you're after a sporty ride, and if you already have M-Sport suspension, then you're all sorted. It's the cheapest choice for a full-time sporty ride.

Last edited by KPD; 02-15-2017 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
SteveGu
Rep

Thanks, KPD!

Well, in an amazing coincidence, I just got off the phone with BMW NA, they called me because it has been about 7 weeks since I picked my car, they wanted to know how was my experience.

So I asked the gentleman about these 3 items, and how they interect. Here is what he told me:

The DDC (eco/comfort/sport switch) will simultaneously change the engine response, transmission behavior (shift points and clutch behavior), and suspension setting (sport vs. the other two modes).

Pushing the shift lever to the left will alter the shift points and clutch behavior similarly to "sport mode", but somewhat more radically.

The m-sport suspension, when coupled with the DDC provides firmer settings in all 3 modes in comparison the the standard suspension.

Since I always drive with the DDC in "sport", I am glad my car has the m-sport suspension as I do not find it too stiff or rough at all. Also to note my tires are 18" RFs.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

DDC stands for Dynamic Damper Control. It replaces standard or M-Sport suspension.

The rocker switch (Eco Pro/Comfort/Sport) is Driving Experience Switch. All X1s, regardless of their trim or suspension have this switch. If you have DDC, you will be able to use the stiff suspension setting when in Sport mode (or switch it off if you don't like it). If you don't have DDC... well, it's obvious really... nothing suspension related will change.

Gear lever in auto or manual position also makes no difference to suspension settings without DDC.

M-Sport suspension is stiffer than standard suspension. Driving Experience Control has nothing to do with this. If you have M-Sport suspension, you will have an equally stiff ride in all three settings of Eco Pro, Comfort and Sport.

What I'm trying to say is that the BMW rep you spoke to was talking rubbish.

Simple explanation of it goes like this:
  • Standard suspension is the softest, regardless of Driving Experience setting.
  • M-Sport suspension is the stiffest, also regardless of Driving Experience setting.
  • If you have Dynamic Damper Control, Eco Pro and Comfort modes are soft. Sport mode can be customised in iDrive to be soft or as stiff as M-Sport.

Last edited by KPD; 02-15-2017 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
SteveGu
Rep

Not to be argumentative (seriously, I know my level of ignorance, that is why I asked the questions)

I think some of this has to do with market-specific specifications/equipment.

For example, in the USA, all 2016 f48 are X-drive and iline as standard, and according to the sticker all have m-sport suspension and DDC. My car's sticker specifically states these things, including "Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO, COMFORT, and SPORT settings". There is no separate suspension control for this in the i-drive system (although there are some ECO PRO settings). To me this totally squares with both my driving experience and the BMW rep's description.

For 2017 in the USA, there are now X-drive and simple FWD, and the m-sport suspension is now part of the m-sport package. Also, I have seen USA 2017 cars at my dealer without the rocker switch.

Another example possibly causing confusion is that apparently in the UK, the item listed in the USA as Dynamic Damper Control (DDC) is referred to as Electronic Damper Control (EDC). It is clear from the descriptions that these are the same thing, and in the UK the "m-sport suspension" and the "EDC/DDC" are available as separate options. In the USA for 2016, they were both standard (while the balance of the m-sport package was optional); for 2017 USA the m-sport suspension is now part of the package and DDC is apparently either totally optional or possibly bundled with m-sport as well.

So, I think the situation is complicated by the manner in which BMW equips vehicles for each market, and again, so far my driving experience squares with what I have been told, FWIW.

Thanks!

Last edited by SteveGu; 02-15-2017 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Marketing names aren't always the same, of course. But speaking about suspension, Dynamic Dampers and M-Sport suspension cannot be combined.

Check your VIN on http://bimmer.work/ to confirm all your options.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

KPD is correct, its either DDC or M Sport.
Its not possible to have both.

M Sport is stiff all the time. DDC is stiff when in sport mode or soft in comfort.

Its the same all around the world.
You can confirm this via the parts system

You can see what you have via you VIN or you cam PM the VIN to me and I will check for you.
      02-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
SteveGu
Rep

Well, it's certainly possible that the suspension is stiff all the time, I guess I don't drive around in the non-sport modes very often.

FWIW, here is a (bad) pic of my car's sticker, how would you interpret the highlighted listings?

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGu View Post
Well, it's certainly possible that the suspension is stiff all the time, I guess I don't drive around in the non-sport modes very often.

FWIW, here is a (bad) pic of my car's sticker, how would you interpret the highlighted listings?

You have M Sport Suspension

The right hand side highlight referrs to the ability to change the engine/throttle etc modes
      02-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

You should be able to check in the engine bay.
DDC has electric wires going into the top of the shock strut.
Will look for pictures of both types

Also if you have DDC, the difference between comfort and sport is very apparent
Its much bumpier in sport and very smooth in comfort
      02-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #11
SteveGu
Rep

Thanks! I will check out both the wiring and pay close attention to my drive...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
SteveGu
Rep

OK, I did not see any such wires, I only had about a mile to drive but I also can't say definitively that there was a "ride" variance, so perhaps it is "sport" all the time. It could be that the tighter steering and generally crisper response of the throttle and transmission is all there is to the perception.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #13
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good topic. I have a 2016 US base that came with 704 M sport suspension also. Does anyone know what the specific differences or parts compared with standard?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
Good topic. I have a 2016 US base that came with 704 M sport suspension also. Does anyone know what the specific differences or parts compared with standard?
M Sport has different springs, dampers and rear anti-roll bar
Turbod394.50
      02-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #15
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
M Sport has different springs, dampers and rear anti-roll bar
Thanks
Appreciate 0