BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Strong Demand for BMW X1 Requires Additional Production at VDL Nedcar

03-07-2017, 03:10 AM   #45
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BemweeBE View Post
And all of this at a price which is not radically higher than your typical small MPV. A base sDrive 16d with a few key boxes ticked comes in 25% more expensive than a decent Renault Scenic, Nissan Qashqai or similar, which in Europe at least is the competition. Knowing that the difference in depreciation already solves half of that problem, that's a premium (roughly 10-15%) that many (many) people seem willing to pay to have a BMW that can actually serve as primary family car for anyone with 1 or 2 kids.
My case for sure (got the sDrive 18i automatic though)
2 kids, early 40s, low mileage per year, tired of low quality c segment suvs (had a new QQ diesel for 2 years that was full of rattles), wanted some more class and quality so BMW with the X1 gave me the chance to get my first BMW and because it is FWD made the transition (driving wise) for me absolutely easy!
I know this not a "pure" BMW but has quality, looks good, is decently equipped and despite the small engine it drives much much better that my previous RAV4 or Nissan Qashqai.
My second choice between €30-35K would be either VW Tiguan or Ford Kuga, but the first would cost me more than the X1 (including some extras that I could not afford in the X1) and the second would cost just €3000 less (again with some more extras) but both cars do not drive the same nor have the same interior or boot space as the X1.

If all goes well and the X1 proves even 80% reliable as the Toyotas I have been driving for the past 20 years, I am sure that BMW will get a new loyal customer!

BMW's choice with the F48 is an absolute winner given the global economic situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:47 AM   #46
TC3
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xdrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubjj View Post
I'm so glad BMW came out with AWD. We get a retarded amount of snow and rear wheel drive cars don't cut it. The X1 is the greatest. Sorry to all the purests but you're wrong!
That is a good point. I say ferk the purists who are so damn set in their ways
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #47
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubjj View Post
I'm so glad BMW came out with AWD. We get a retarded amount of snow and rear wheel drive cars don't cut it. The X1 is the greatest. Sorry to all the purests but you're wrong!
That is a good point. I say ferk the purists who are so damn set in their ways
Well, I simply suggest they try a F48 X1 before offering an opinion
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #48
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Well, I simply suggest they try a F48 X1 before offering an opinion

I'm a 'purist' with an Xdrive car (for the modded 0-60 sprint times) and I've read plenty of posts about how my car is an understeering counterfeit BMW so I know where this goes - but my wife's '17 X1 genuinely doesn't drive like a 'real' BMW

It does drive a hell of a lot better than the Japanese or American equivalents in the CUV section but it's nothing like as fun and involving as the '13 M package x35i that we used to drive. It does have a lot more trunk space for the dogs though!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #49
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Well, I guess I'm a purist, too, with an F20 M135i, which handles 0-60 sprints quite decently. Despite being a purist, I didn't expect our F48 to handle or perform nearly as well, and it doesn't. But on the BMW snow and ice experience I did last year, which included most of the xDrive range, I thought the X1 acquitted itself very well...none of the thrust of the X5/X6M of course, but on par with the 4 cyl X3/X4s. And....far ahead of others in the light CUV market (MB, Audi, VW, Mazda, Toyota...)
Appreciate 0