BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Eco-pro vs Sport vs Comfort - really matters?

06-23-2016, 02:15 AM   #1
siddharth
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2016

Eco-pro vs Sport vs Comfort - really matters?

Hi All,

i just want to take ur cent on 3 driving modes in X1

1. Do they really make any difference
2. Which scenario you change these modes

Note: i have recently ordered X1 still waiting for delivery
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 04:39 AM   #2
VanOrton
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 20i XDrive (F48)

The Eco-pro mode does nothing for me. I tried using this mode for every drive after had refuled. It saved me 24 km when i had to refuel again. Therfore i donīt se the point in using this mode.

I drive in Sport mode for the most of the time. For the susepnsion it is very hard to feel the difference between comfort and sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 05:21 AM   #3
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

I just wanted to point out that when selecting "Sport" or "Comfort", the behaviour of the suspension (soft/firm) will of course only change if you have EDC.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 05:50 AM   #4
VanOrton
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTracey View Post
I just wanted to point out that when selecting "Sport" or "Comfort", the behaviour of the suspension (soft/firm) will of course only change if you have EDC.
I am aware of this. I have the EDC option on my car but still find it hard to feel any difference between the two modes :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanOrton View Post
I am aware of this. I have the EDC option on my car but still find it hard to feel any difference between the two modes :-)
Really I think the difference is obvious. The car rolls considerably in normal but handles road imperfections better, whereas it remains flatter and more controlled in sport whilst transmitting road imperfections into the cabin more. Never even bothered trying Eco pro based upon experiences in other BMW's, I don't want to buy a nice car and then dumb it down
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Wish I could get the free-wheeling and AC modes into Comfort. Can't stand the lack of throttle response and the jerky gear changes in Eco-Pro.
Appreciate 2
simon.922.00
      06-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #7
VanOrton
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Really I think the difference is obvious. The car rolls considerably in normal but handles road imperfections better, whereas it remains flatter and more controlled in sport whilst transmitting road imperfections into the cabin more. Never even bothered trying Eco pro based upon experiences in other BMW's, I don't want to buy a nice car and then dumb it down
I have only driven 1300 km on normal roads and small trips here in Norway, so i havenīt been able to put it to a proper test yet, but realy loving this car :-)

Looking forward to a proper test where i get to feel the difference between the sport and comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 05:00 AM   #8
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanOrton View Post
I have only driven 1300 km on normal roads and small trips here in Norway, so i havenīt been able to put it to a proper test yet, but realy loving this car :-)

Looking forward to a proper test where i get to feel the difference between the sport and comfort mode.
I'm just back from a Norway cruise and going by some of the roads I have seen and been on, it will be a real test!

Last edited by Bluezed; 06-24-2016 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 11:49 PM   #9
shajufx
Forex Trader
India
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezed View Post
I'm just back from a Norway cruise and going by some of the roads I have seen and been on, it will be a real test!
There is hardly any difference between comfort and sport as I tested it throughout my recent road trip. Probably faster shifts in sports may be the only thing felt on the driver seat. I wish if they tuned the exhaust to Ferrari type sound in sports mode, but that is too much ask for this segment
      10-21-2016, 02:07 AM   #10
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogit View Post
Wish I could get the free-wheeling and AC modes into Comfort. Can't stand the lack of throttle response and the jerky gear changes in Eco-Pro.
I got round this issue by fitting a pedal enhancer...... it speeds up the signal from the drive by wire and adjusted throttle opening.... now I can use eco pro with no laboured pick up .... and with it, pick in sport is instantaneous!... and aggressive..( when switch it to sport plus).. when needed.... as it should be!

The difference in all modes is very noticeable imo. I only ever use sport now if I'm in (race mode....lol)

As with the tuning box and the pedal box..... the car is pretty quick in comfort mode
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 02:12 AM   #11
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Using comfort mainly with some sport & stick to the left when I feel the urge. Mind, I'm behaving as the car only has 500 miles on it so far & only put the 2nd tank of fuel in it yesterday
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 02:22 AM   #12
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon. View Post
Using comfort mainly with some sport & stick to the left when I feel the urge. Mind, I'm behaving as the car only has 500 miles on it so far & only put the 2nd tank of fuel in it yesterday
Your right to be cautious ..... I whacked everything on max and started tearing around at under 1000 miles on the clock and got a transmission warming!...and it went to limp.... switched it off... and on and it went back to normal thankfully......that doesn't happen anymore... with more miles on the clock
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 03:17 AM   #13
TygerBright
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d Sport

Surprised that you couldn't notice a difference.

My wife and I had a short test drive recently in an xLine with standard suspension and without EDC.

The difference between the modes was quite obvious to us.

Eco mode was a bit treacle like... floor the pedal and then a delay before the speed progresses...slowly. Driving Miss Daisy mode.

Comfort mode was more responsive and I think will be happy to default to this. There was surprisingly a fair more body roll than I was hoping for when I was in the back.

Sport mode definitely had a bit more about it. Speed progression was great but can't comment on the ride quality as the roads were quite decent and we only ran it in sport for a short run.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 05:33 AM   #14
immy786r123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

I use Eco pro mode on the motorway which is great.

Urban driving is a no no as pulling out of junctions and roundabouts its very lethargic.

Stick to comfort mode when you are driving in urban areas and eco pro mode on the motorways.

No matter how i drive my MPG wont go higher than 32-34 urban on 25d - Pretty crap if you ask me.

Sport mode is great especially which you start using the paddle shifters! but then it does start to drink and the MPG drops to 28.

Last edited by immy786r123; 10-21-2016 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #15
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

The difference is 3 modes are, at least in the petrol model that I own, very obvious. I cannot for the life of me understand how some people are not noticing the difference.

I mostly use Eco-Pro on motorways with normal or little traffic. The coastingfeature is brilliant. But I switch to Comfort in heavy traffic so that I won't have to brake all the time to maintain distance. Hate it when people keep braking in heavy traffic.

Town/city, almost always in Comfort mode.

Sport mode, only on quiet twisty roads with good asphalt. I have EDC + 18" RFTs and find the ride a bit too harsh on poor road surfaces. But on a decent road, the car feels significantly more nimble and sharp.

Overall, 35% of the time I'm in Eco Pro, +60% in Comfort and less than 5% in Sport.

Last edited by KPD; 10-21-2016 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #16
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
The difference is 3 modes are, at least in the petrol model that I own, very obvious. I cannot for the life of me understand how some people are not noticing the difference.
Same here for the 2017 20iX I often drive.
Big difference between sport and comfort in ride, steering and engine response.
It has sport steering and electronic dampers.

Drive 85% of the time in sport.
On some bad roads it gets a bit bumpy and changing to Comfort immediately smooths out the road.

In sport the steering is also quite a bit firmer and the throttle responce is much more immediate.

Cant say I have ever driven it in EcoPro.