BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Upgrade my X1 with Harman Kardon Tweeter

06-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #23
ForkLiter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkd View Post
Please post more instructions for us I'm totally interested in this!

Let me just reel off some things off the top of my head here.

You need to have tools. Torx T20 this cannot be a stubby tool. One screw is a ways inside the handle on the door. Trim removal tools/tool which is like a plastic shoehorn for prying the door card (pictured). I think you need a wire stripper and a soldering iron. Elec tape. There are four main screws that hold the door card to the door. All T20. Two at the bottom, two behind the hand pull. The Hand pull cover has a slot underneath. You have to put something in that slot and bravely pull towards you so that the handle pull cover comes off.

All metal clips for items should be inspected for original position and insuring they are seated well.

Have a blanket ready on the ground for the door card to rest on. Do one side at a time.

Once the four screws are out, starting at the bottom of the door card, use the trim tool to pop the door card away. There are snaps every 12 inches or so. Once all of those are popped the door card is held at the top by the window area (wedged in). Lift the card from the rear. The tweeter corner or blank holds the top of the card down so that's the last place that will come up. The card will be like 45 degrees with the rear high as you are removing it. The door lock rod will drop out of the hole in the card. There is a "cable" from the card to the door. No need to disconnect this.

Inspect your new HK tweeter/trim pieces. That will let you know how it attaches. Pay attention to where that trim is seated in terms of the rubber moulding. You can always use the other side as a reference. Remove the old tweeter trim by pulling it away. Installation of the new trim should start at the non-tweeter side. Remember to remove any clips that stayed on the door since the new pieces have those already in place. There are some alignment posts on the trim to help you understand where to position the piece.

Once the new tweeter trim is in place, you will have to splice in the tweeter to the door midrange wires. I don't know which is + and - so I just was consistent side to side. They are tweeters so I think that's OK. You will have to cut off the connectors on the new tweeters. I spliced, soldered, taped the connections. Test for sound before putting things back together.

Each of the probes/snaps (white) on the door card should be checked for placement before reassembly. Each one has a soft thin black rubber gasket that should be in place also. Remember the door lock rod. Card goes on as off. There are alignment posts on the card that align with holes in the door. Use your palm to seat all of the snaps. Run the screws back in. Examine the door pull cover and snap that back in carefully. Test the window when things are back together.

I have no concerns with creating rattles, etc. This system is nicely done and should stay quiet. I may have left something out here, I'll edit if needed. I'm available for questions also. I'm kind of guessing the current pricing on the tweeter trim is too low (a mistake). I've seen this happen before with other items from Audi. If you are thinking of doing this, pick yours up now.
Attached Images

Last edited by ForkLiter; 06-03-2016 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
CliveL163.00
      06-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #24
Remmm
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F48 Alpinweiss

hart4bmw

I haven't seen or heard in real life, but i have called your dealer this morning and they told me that it is in stock in Germany. I picked it up 5 minutes ago. How cool, this morning it was in the factory, if you order before 10:00 then it will be deliverd the same day. And it is allready in my hands now

I will try to install it myself tomorrow, I printed the info from Forkliter and your pictures. I will probably manage to do so

Very cool mod
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #25
hart4bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sdrive20i (2016)

Succes Remmm !!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #26
pedro mtech
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

I've picked up my grills today and tweeters are includes too as you said.
Tomorrow I'll have some work to do!!
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #27
Remmm
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Pffff I am pretty handy. But it was more work then i thought. Especially the first door, the second was easier It is important to have the right tools. If not try and find stuff that looks like the tools Forklifter posted. I used a plastic tyre remover from my mountainbike to remove the doorpanel and to remove the iron clips. Most dificult is to put it back together. The first one is still not proper, i will have to check that one again. Especially when the clips are not in place anymore.

Result is more then worthy sound is so much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #28
GandalfBMW
Rep

Tweeter works Also with the standard equipment?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 02:00 AM   #29
civciv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 Med. Blue

I'm considering doing this modding to my new X1. It has Hi-Fi audio system. In general it sounds good to me. I don't like to listen too bright. My current treble setting is set to 7. That's why, I'm in doubt if this installation would be necessary. Does it add something to the whole sound anything else more than highs? I need some feedback from you. Thanks.

Last edited by civciv; 06-24-2016 at 03:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #30
ForkLiter
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by civciv View Post
I'm considering doing this modding to my new X1. It has Hi-Fi audio system. In general it sounds good to me. I don't like to listen too bright. My current treble setting is set to 7. That's why, I'm in doubt if this installation would be unnecessary. Does it add something to the whole sound anything else more than highs? I need some feedback from you. Thanks.
It definitely adds detail and pulls the soundstage up and creates a larger wall of music. I DO have the treble down to about 3/10 if there is such a setting. I needed to decrease it after the install.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #31
civciv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkLiter View Post
It definitely adds detail and pulls the soundstage up and creates a larger wall of music. I DO have the treble down to about 3/10 if there is such a setting. I needed to decrease it after the install.
Thank you for your feedback. It's good to hear that. I think that I'll call my dealer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 04:03 AM   #32
Remmm
Private
Netherlands
Rep

The sound is certainly improved, i really missed the high sound. But i had to get used to the overwhelming more high notes. Like ForkLiter I had to set the treble down to about 3/10. Else it was to much.

@GandalfBMW, it should work with the standard speakers as well because the filter is added with the HK-tweeter, so it can filter the right sound from your normal speaker.

Good luck, it is a nice improvement for a nice price. Besides the sounds it looks like u have HK in the car but that is a nice side-effect.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #33
GandalfBMW
Rep

Thanks!

What about the price for the kit?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #34
DaveAT
Rep
Drives: Ordered X1

Hello guys,

just to let you know... i also ordered the two parts and it arrived today
The tweeters/loudspeaker were NOT included!!

Greetings
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #35
ForkLiter
Private First Class
Rep

Please post images of the boxes and parts with the part numbers visible.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #36
pedro mtech
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAT View Post
Hello guys,

just to let you know... i also ordered the two parts and it arrived today
The tweeters/loudspeaker were NOT included!!

Greetings
I asked for the part numbers displayed at the beginning of this thread at the BMW dealer and when I received the items the tweeter were included
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 03:28 AM   #37
Remmm
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Same here, costs are € 55,- a piece..

I used the ordernr's from above.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 05:12 AM   #38
civciv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Mine are arrived today and they don't have tweeters also. I don't understand that.

There are no stickers, part no. etc. on the frames or packaging. I've bought them from Schmiedmann Denmark for 46 € x 2 pieces.

I was wrong. There is a sticker on the box.

Last edited by civciv; 07-01-2016 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 05:56 AM   #39
DaveAT
Rep

In the exploded view the speakers are also seperated from the frame... So maybe it was a mistake that they built in the tweeters and they find out...?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 06:02 AM   #40
hart4bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Very strange, I have the same serial numbers and i get the tweeters as well !!??
I paid about € 110,- totally (2 x €55,- include the tweeters)

I have order them at the BMW dealer.....

Why do you not order at the BMW dealer ??
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 06:08 AM   #41
DaveAT
Rep

it was ordered from a bmw dealer... and anyway... it comes all from the same storage...
im sure its just another charge - as i said... official its not included as described in the exploded view
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #42
civciv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4bmw View Post
Very strange, I have the same serial numbers and i get the tweeters as well !!??
I paid about € 110,- totally (2 x €55,- include the tweeters)

I have order them at the BMW dealer.....

Why do you not order at the BMW dealer ??

Local BMW dealer wanted 94€ x2 for them. And they would order from Germany also and it's not certain that those borders will
have tweeters.

I think that all parts come from BMW Germany. All the same stock numbers, same boxes.

Last edited by civciv; 07-01-2016 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #43
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I don't suppose any of you tweeter modders happen to know the size of the mid-range door speakers? Are they 4-inch (10cm) or 5.25 inch (13cm)? There seem to be a couple of three-hole BMW speaker adapters available in those two sizes that might allow a standard 4-hole aftermarket speaker to drop in with a bit of wiring splicing. The speaker part numbers are the same across the new X1, 2 series Tourers and a few newer MINIs.

I've only got the low-end hifi setup coming in my new X1, but I did get some reasonable results a few years ago when upgrading the stock speakers in a 5 series saloon, so I might go down this route along with the HK tweeters. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 04:05 AM   #44
hart4bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

BMW speaker upgrade like this:

http://www.focal.com/en/dedicated-dr...6-ifbmw-c.html

http://www.bavsound.com/Stage-One/
Appreciate 0