BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 8-speed AT gearbox lag

04-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #67
manub
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M Sport 20d

Got my AT X1 20d yesterday - I never owned a car with Auto Start/Stop before, but I've found the transition pretty smooth in Comfort mode (the engine goes back on immediately when I release the brake pedal). I did find out that a couple of times the engine didn't switch off though - maybe because I was with the AC on.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #68
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by manub View Post
Got my AT X1 20d yesterday - I never owned a car with Auto Start/Stop before, but I've found the transition pretty smooth in Comfort mode (the engine goes back on immediately when I release the brake pedal). I did find out that a couple of times the engine didn't switch off though - maybe because I was with the AC on.
It will also stay running if you slightly move the steering wheel or if you double stop the brakes
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 01:53 AM   #69
manub
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M Sport 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20/F48 View Post
It will also stay running if you slightly move the steering wheel or if you double stop the brakes
That's very good to know, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #70
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

I have the same issue! Scary sometimes when you're trying to pull into busy traffic or cross a street. 2 seconds is a long time to decide to fn move.
      05-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #71
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

If I'm at a busy intersection needing quick response / acceleration I would usually check the Start/Stop is off and also flick the gear shifter into S (Sport) mode. Then there is no lag when I hit the accelerator pedal in a hurry.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #72
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0i x-drive Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
No problem, although I have specified the SAT I actually prefer just shifting their gearbox over to sport as this is less frantic than trying to steer and use the paddles
I've never understood why the paddles aren't fixed behind the wheel, some manufacturers have the paddles separate from the wheel so they are always in the same place I understand why they are on the wheel for autosport, but Lewis and co. don't have to approach roundabouts or T-junctions during a race.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:19 AM   #73
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsman View Post
I've never understood why the paddles aren't fixed behind the wheel, some manufacturers have the paddles separate from the wheel so they are always in the same place I understand why they are on the wheel for autosport, but Lewis and co. don't have to approach roundabouts or T-junctions during a race.
Good point. Seems like the Italians put the paddles separate from the wheel (Alfa Romeo, Ferrari) while the Germans have them fixed to the wheel.

I think it's good to have the separate gear lever for manual mode as well as the paddles. Comes in handy when busy with the wheel with a lot of lock on. My Merc has only the paddles which is a pain when the wheel is turned beyond 90 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 02:33 AM   #74
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF1 View Post
Good point. Seems like the Italians put the paddles separate from the wheel (Alfa Romeo, Ferrari) while the Germans have them fixed to the wheel.

I think it's good to have the separate gear lever for manual mode as well as the paddles. Comes in handy when busy with the wheel with a lot of lock on. My Merc has only the paddles which is a pain when the wheel is turned beyond 90 degrees.

If you look at a Ferrari's paddles they are designed to be finger operated within the 30 degree arc from flat L to R whilst the thumbs are engaged within the wheel. You would have to take one hand off the wheel to operate it past that point
If you are seriously motoring along and have to turn the steering wheel beyond 90 degrees, you would find it impossible to use any form of paddle shift or gear shift whilst staying in full control of the wheel or vehicle.
Given that most applications where paddles are used are related to road performance driving, I do not see the need to exceed a quarter turn whilst using paddles.
The German thinking is that having two hands holding on the wheel whilst allowing for gear changes is the preferable method.

Steering wheel mounted paddles allow travel beyond that 30 degree arc, which is more beneficial for everyday drivers.
If you are going around a small roundabout in suburbia at 10kph it may be a nuisance. Change down before you enter it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #75
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0i x-drive Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20/F48 View Post
If you look at a Ferrari's paddles they are designed to be finger operated within the 30 degree arc from flat L to R whilst the thumbs are engaged within the wheel. You would have to take one hand off the wheel to operate it past that point
If you are seriously motoring along and have to turn the steering wheel beyond 90 degrees, you would find it impossible to use any form of paddle shift or gear shift whilst staying in full control of the wheel or vehicle.
Given that most applications where paddles are used are related to road performance driving, I do not see the need to exceed a quarter turn whilst using paddles.
The German thinking is that having two hands holding on the wheel whilst allowing for gear changes is the preferable method.

Steering wheel mounted paddles allow travel beyond that 30 degree arc, which is more beneficial for everyday drivers.
If you are going around a small roundabout in suburbia at 10kph it may be a nuisance. Change down before you enter it.
When you are negotiating a series of 2 or 3 mini roundabouts like we have in the UK it's a pain.

I know it's off topic but I had a Citroen Grand Picasso a few years ago, (5 kids and a dog (and a wife)) The Picasso had a fixed central panel with the steering wheel behind and fixed paddles behind that. The beauty of this was that all the controls such as phone/cruise/radio volume etc were all on the fixed panel. That meant no matter what position the steering wheel was at all the controls remained in the same place.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #76
AMOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90

Guys, I was at the dealership last week and told them about the gearbox lag and guess what, they were not surprised at all and they know about the issue. I'm not sure if/when something is going to be done by BMW to fix the issue, so I decided to make a move forward and ordered this for my X1:
https://www.racechip.com/throttle-tu...e-control.html
Company is located in germany and shipping is 3-5 days, not bad. Will write back when it arrives and after I test it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:15 PM   #77
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Please let us know how you get on. I'm not experiencing any "lag" issues (either engine or g/b related) but I have tried a sprintbooster in the past, and I assume this is quite similar. Sprintbooster works by increasing the throttle input signal to the car's ECU.

Separately, I see racechip has a tune for the X1 25i, offering 65hp gain. I think someone from the UK/EU (where it comes with warranty) needs to take one for the team, and tell whether it is worth it.:
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:44 PM   #78
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What's your experience with Sprintbooster like? Had a read about it before, unsure if it's a placebo effect or whether it affects fine control of the throttle. I'm interested in trying something that if it's a safe way of improving the response of the car without too much risk.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 12:23 AM   #79
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Personally, I didn't think it was worth the money, so I sold mine on. It's no placebo, and a bigger push with the right foot is equally effective.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #80
calvol
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

I've followed this issue from another forum, and IMO, it appears like it is a torque converter issue, not with the TC itself, but the way it's programmed. I believe what's happening is in ECO mode, the TC is allowed to disengage to improve gas mileage when going downhill or coasting to a stop. Then, when taking off again, the TC has about a 1/4-1/2 second delay to reengage.

Related to this is the programming of Start/Stop, which I think when ON locks the TC to allow quicker takeoffs when restarting the car.

So, I think the best thing to do is try Sport mode with Start/Stop ON to keep the TC engaged. Be careful, it appears to be dangerous from reading the comments. Hopefully there will be a TSB out soon with a fix for this issue--

Here's a link to the other forum:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=925882

Note: this is not a turbo-lag issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #81
TC3
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xdrive Sport

Just to add my UK 2.0d auto behaves without lag in anyway in comfort mode. Have driven eco mode on some trips and even then I noticed no lag to be honest. Its a 3 week old car fyi
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #82
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1 MSport

Slow Tranny

I noticed this issue for the first few thousand miles. It was laggy in first and second gear. The transmission also seemed to shift slow. 9K miles and a Burger JB4 later the X1 is peppy and spry. I don't even miss my 335i MSport that much. The JB4 definitely wakes up the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 04:12 AM   #83
lennono
Rep
Drives: f48 i20 x-drive, sport-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOR View Post
I noticed there's a lag when you hit the gas from stand still on D mode, it's about 1-1.5 seconds. Changing to Sport mode does not help with this issue, only switching AT to S mode (shift gear lever to the left) makes things a little better. My previous car was 330i manual, so perhaps that's just me. But I was wondering if someone else has this issue? Somewhere I read that the AT transmission on X1 is made in Japan.
So, if you swtch mode to Sport and gear shift to S, only then the lag disappears?
Or putting the gear shift to S while the Comfort mode is in - the lag also disappears?

By the way, my i20 x-drive also has this lag issue. The car is new (3 weeks ago purchased from official dealer, the milage is just 1300km), but manufacture date is July 2017.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #84
ttimbo
Major
Rep

My fix for this is to periodically reset the gearbox ECU:

Steps...

1) hit start button once to turn on power (Don't start the engine)
2) then press the accelerator down to the floor for 5 sec
3) then hit start button once to turn off power
4) then remove foot from accelerator
5) then wait for 2 minutes
4) then start the engine like normal and see if that helps with the jerk and acceleration hesitation
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 04:30 AM   #85
lennono
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
My fix for this is to periodically reset the gearbox ECU:

Steps...

1) hit start button once to turn on power (Don't start the engine)
2) then press the accelerator down to the floor for 5 sec
3) then hit start button once to turn off power
4) then remove foot from accelerator
5) then wait for 2 minutes
4) then start the engine like normal and see if that helps with the jerk and acceleration hesitation

2) + 3) = to press start button while accelerator is down to the floor ???

It is a bit strange and seems dangerous.

Last edited by lennono; 09-04-2018 at 04:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 05:14 AM   #86
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennono View Post
2) + 3) = to press start button while accelerator is down to the floor ???

It is a bit strange and seems dangerous.
Engine won't start unless shifter is in P and your foot is on the brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #87
lennono
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogit View Post
Engine won't start unless shifter is in P and your foot is on the brake.
thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #88
lennono
Rep

Wow, I did this reset and...no lag at all...
It works! Great!
Appreciate 0