BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 8-speed AT gearbox lag

03-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #23
AMOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Just to clarify, is this a delay because of the stop-start system, or is there a response delay in the transmission "engaging"? The responses above are a bit confusing.
Had nothing to do with start-stop, i turned off my start-stop feature since day 1. And the lag has always been present. I'm experienced driver (9 years behind the wheel) and when driving this car, I have to count for extra delay when turning in front of traffic, etc. This is a rather dangerous issue to have on the car from start, especially for inexperienced drivers. I wonder how BMW could have allowed this. I'm starting to miss my manual already.

P.S. Thanks for the hint about resetting the AT transmission, I will definitely try it and will write back if it helped in my case.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:36 AM   #24
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOR View Post
Thanks for the hint about resetting the AT transmission, I will definitely try it and will write back if it helped in my case.
Please do -- I note there's some conjecture as to whether this method has any effect on the ZF 8sp AT, let alone the Aisin 8sp AT, or whether it just resets the DBW throttle system. In any case, it's worth a go.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #25
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

For some reason I can't create a new thread:

ZF you say?

ok, so there's no ZF gearbox as the X1 is FWD, but you may be surprised to see how much else is ZF sourced:

https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/p...el=27510=27670

I thought it would be mostly Bosch components, turns out not.

Here's the Aisin gearbox in question:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 03:33 AM   #26
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

I'm probably way off target here but it has occurred to me that if the car learns from the way it is driven, then the first 1200 miles will give a false indication because of the way most people will drive during the running in period?
If this is the case then it should have a reset at 1200 miles and start 'learning' again when it is being used 'normally'.
I have had a couple of occasions when there has been a definite lag when pulling out on a particular roundabout near where I live. I haven't tried using sport mode yet but will try that next and see if it makes a difference.
I will probably also try the reset because I can't see that it could do any harm.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #27
AMOR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezed View Post
I'm probably way off target here but it has occurred to me that if the car learns from the way it is driven, then the first 1200 miles will give a false indication because of the way most people will drive during the running in period?
If this is the case then it should have a reset at 1200 miles and start 'learning' again when it is being used 'normally'.
I have had a couple of occasions when there has been a definite lag when pulling out on a particular roundabout near where I live. I haven't tried using sport mode yet but will try that next and see if it makes a difference.
I will probably also try the reset because I can't see that it could do any harm.
I agree, the learning should start once you begin hitting that pedal to kick-down. Anyways, I have 1200 miles on the clock right now, and I can say for sure that transmission is not up to par with the rest of the car. It should drive on D as it drives on the S right now. This is the ultimate driving machine, or am I missing something in BMW's new approach?

Today I tried resetting the AT transmission, did not work for me.
In the instructions it says - insert key, then press start without holding the brake and press gas pedal for 25 sec. I did everything except inserting the key, since I have key-less access. Maybe that's the reason? Would be interesting to hear someone who tried resetting and if it really worked.

P.S. I can also confirm for 100% that switching to S mode eliminates the AT lag from stand still. I was driving on a long road with lots of stop signs, and switched from D to S to D and S and noticed the difference clearly. So it must be an electronic issue and not mechanical!!

Last edited by AMOR; 03-07-2016 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #28
IBX1
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

So glad to see someone mention this. I was experiencing same for the first 250 miles, a lag/hesitation when accelerating from a stand still. I agree it is dangerous! It seems to have faded in my car though. Either that or I have just adapted to a very gentle acceleration from stops. I will test it again after finding this thread. I will be so happy to learn if this is fix that can be done in a firmware upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:47 AM   #29
DHS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 X1, '15 435i & '98 Z3

It is also horrendous when accelerating out of a corner or tight curve. There is no acceleration for an inordinate amount of time. Seems it effectively goes into neutral and takes at least one second before any power is available. Even then it is a very marginal acceleration. Next to our 435i M Sport it is a real disappointment. Definitely not up to BMW standards.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 02:30 AM   #30
manub
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M Sport 20d

I would be curious to hear if somebody went to their dealer or contacted BMW directly about this.... when my X1 arrives I'll check as well. Couldn't notice anything during the test drive IIRC, but I have always driven manual so I'll be on spot for detecting that...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 03:27 AM   #31
kroogz
Rep
Drives: MY15F20 and MY16F48

Hi All,

Just my 2 cents - I haven't noticed any lag at all in the X1, always ready to go. We have 4500k's now.

I might not notice it because I had an Audi A5 Stronic before , now that thing was laggy and shuddered all the time !
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:19 AM   #32
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I'll keep an eye on this when ours arrives but isn't the whole point of D so that the car is slightly more sedate, smooth and in a higher gear... Not sure about the Aisin box but I'm pretty sure the ZF one in my F10 starts off in second gear in D and only uses first gear in S. So when I want instant reactions, such as in congested junctions or when pushing on through bends I will use S (or more rarely the paddles) to get the reaction times I want and the right gear for the situation.
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:48 AM   #33
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

I find the ZF'd X4 holds too high a gear when compared to a manual for my liking, so I use paddles to change down 1/2 gears. A lot.

The other half, doesn't bother with the paddles at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #34
AMOR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I'll keep an eye on this when ours arrives but isn't the whole point of D so that the car is slightly more sedate, smooth and in a higher gear...
It's not about gradual or smooth acceleration in the D mode, it's OK in that regard and the Aisin transmission actually behaves as it should on keeping the rev's low and shifting more often. The problem is initial 1.5 second lag from the point you hit the gas to the point when the torque converter actually transfers the force and the car actually starts moving. This delay requires to apply gas in advance when you need to turn quickly in front of traffic and in some other situations. I am confident that such delay is dangerous and irrelevant to a car with a BMW badge.

The good thing is that this issue seems electronic and not mechanical, since shifting to S mode eliminates the problem. I will stop by the dealer when my time allows to ask about this issue. If you also experience this problem in your X1, please do the same. Let's make BMW aware about this.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #35
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOR View Post
It's not about gradual or smooth acceleration in the D mode, it's OK in that regard and the Aisin transmission actually behaves as it should on keeping the rev's low and shifting more often. The problem is initial 1.5 second lag from the point you hit the gas to the point when the torque converter actually transfers the force and the car actually starts moving. This delay requires to apply gas in advance when you need to turn quickly in front of traffic and in some other situations. I am confident that such delay is dangerous and irrelevant to a car with a BMW badge.

The good thing is that this issue seems electronic and not mechanical, since shifting to S mode eliminates the problem. I will stop by the dealer when my time allows to ask about this issue. If you also experience this problem in your X1, please do the same. Let's make BMW aware about this.
Right I get what you're saying now, our A Class does this as well... It was really bad to start with and a software update remedied the problem to some degree but you still have to anticipate when you want to move off, unfortunately sport mode in the A Class is not much better so it's really annoying!
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #36
IBX1
Rep

Yeah I reported the symptom to bmw genius line the day I first noticed it. The car was maybe one day old. He mentioned that it's critical to mention this and they take note of each vin, symptom, etc. when you make a call, especially on a new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:11 AM   #37
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Interested in this thread as I have not noticed an issue.

Had to go out late last night, so did a few experiments on an empty road...could not detect any lag, or difference between S and full auto mode. (I have 2.0 diesel xdrive).

Previously I have had an Audi Cabrio (petrol) with CVT auto box - the lag on that was truly frightening on any roundabout, so I know what an issue it can be.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:51 AM   #38
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

I noticed something although I put it own to the fact it is heavier and 120bhp down on our other car.
      03-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #39
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Wow. It's amazing that BMW has not 100% eliminated this dangerous software issue! It is clear that if there is no lag in sports mode, it is not a hardware issue. Why can't they just friggin give us the response of the sports mode for all modes instead of dumbing it down for the normal and eco modes.

Last edited by Douggie; 03-10-2016 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #40
AMOR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
Wow. It's amazing that BMW has not 100% eliminated this dangerous software issue! It is clear that if there is no lag in sports mode, it is not a hardware issue. Why can they just friggin give us the response of the sports mode for all modes instead of dumbing it down for the normal and eco modes.
100% !!!
BMW, please advise!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #41
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Can the X1 be driven in sport mode all of the time then?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #42
kroogz
Rep
Drives: MY15F20 and MY16F48

I do not experience lag in any mode.

Different countries must get different firmware?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #43
IBX1
Rep

Ugh was feeling the weird shifting today. Even in sport mode. The worst scenario in my experience is starting from a dead stop, taking a hard right onto a busy road. It's like there is either nothing at all (well, a sloowwww gradual start) with a slight touch, or a huge uncontrollable blast off after a hesitation when you hit it hard. It just seems the shift points are terrible in the tranny. I don't want power from 10-40mph, I want it from 0-40. WTF!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #44
DHS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 X1, '15 435i & '98 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBX1 View Post
Ugh was feeling the weird shifting today. Even in sport mode. The worst scenario in my experience is starting from a dead stop, taking a hard right onto a busy road. It's like there is either nothing at all (well, a sloowwww gradual start) with a slight touch, or a huge uncontrollable blast off after a hesitation when you hit it hard. It just seems the shift points are terrible in the tranny. I don't want power from 10-40mph, I want it from 0-40. WTF!
I think some of the prolem is throttle mapping. At times it take a ton of throttle to get things moving. Combine that with the transmission being asleep and you have a dangerous situation. Seems at times the transmission stays in too high a gear. Suspect.this is due to wanting to get the last little bit of economy. Someone used to driving the typical slushy automatic might not notice.
Appreciate 0