BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Here's the 2016 BMW X1 M Sport package

06-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #67
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium
M-Sports FWD BMW...I never imagined that I would see that

And you still haven't. At least not in the US.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #68
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe BMW's setup on this car is FWD in normal driving conditions (i.e. on straight, dry pavement). It transfers power to the rear wheels only when necessary. Here's the key sentence from BMW's press release:

"When required, the multi-plate clutch – with the help of an electrohydraulic pump – diverts up to 100 percent of the engine’s power to the rear wheels."

I think this is pretty clear. The car is normally FWD, and diverts power to the rear wheels only "when required."
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #69
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe BMW's setup on this car is FWD in normal driving conditions (i.e. on straight, dry pavement). It transfers power to the rear wheels only when necessary. Here's the key sentence from BMW's press release:

"When required, the multi-plate clutch with the help of an electrohydraulic pump diverts up to 100 percent of the engines power to the rear wheels."

I think this is pretty clear. The car is normally FWD, and diverts power to the rear wheels only "when required."

yeah... I'm gonna correct you... cause you're wrong.

Last time I checked, A front wheel drive vehicle ONLY has the capacity to drive TWO wheels- ( the front wheels- natch!) at ALL times.

In your attempts to bash it.. at best.. you can call this FWD biased... or you can make up a name but it is clearly BY DEFINITION not FWD.

Speaking of definitions... From Wikipedia..

ALL WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLE - An AWD vehicle is one with a powertrain capable of providing power to all its wheels, whether full-time or on-demand.

Since this vehicle has the capacity to drive the front wheels AND the rear wheels (again... something that FRONT WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES CANNOT DO!) then it is an all wheel drive vehicle. It may Not be full Time all wheel drive of course.... however. and yes.. there are many different ways an all wheel drive can distribute power and this can vary by manufacturer. It does appear that you ASSUME that the vehicle is going to be 100% FWD powered... until power is needed elsewhere.. ? Why? So.. let's do a little research... ?

Thanks for quoting just part of the BMW press release. Let's see some MORE of it...

" An efficiency-optimized version of the BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system and newly developed chassis technology all help to enhance sporting ability and ride comfort compared to the outgoing model " Perhaps you will need to call BMW AG and tell them to re-write their press release.. ? Perhaps they messed up and said X drive ?

As far as power delivery... Indeed I am aware that many AWD systems begin with an initital concentration/allocation of power and then it is reapportioned based on need. MANY AWD systems are so front biased that they can NEVER at any time send ALL power to the rear... and yet the X1 does.

Speaking of FWD biased AWD... let's read a little on how Subaru's Symmetrical AWD and how it differs from some other systems.

http://www.manchestersubaru.com/suba...heel-drive.htm

And of course here is some information on BMW X DRIVE

" xDrive is the permanent all-wheel drive system from BMW: under normal circumstances, it distributes driver power between the front and rear axles in a 40:60 ratio, and changes this figure variably when the road surface or overall driving conditions change. Acting virtually instantaneously and a manner so subtle as to be go virtually unnoticed by the vehicle's occupants, xDrive can direct up to 100% of drive forces to one axle. "

hmm.. so it sounds like me that the X1 will also have a 40:60 split.. and can send to 100% to the rear axle...

That itself.. as far as I am concerned... even if in normal operation, 100% is sent to the front... if this thing can determine when to send more to the rear (and who knows what conditions are needed.. slippage? heavy throttle? Wide open throttle? ) and especially if it can send ALL power to the rear.. I really see very little point (other than hate!) in trying to pigeonhole this vehicle as FWD or even FWD biased (well.. unless you work for Subaru!)

I'm gonna bet that someone at BMW is probably typing up a page right now so that they can drop the science on how their system works in the X1... assuming it's any different... Of course.. Reading Comprehension being what it is these days...

And finally... if I am driving this mug... let me just tell you... There's gonna be plenty of " When required" time...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 06-04-2015 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #70
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Still is an heavy Suv with high COG and no power gain. How this is suppose to be a replacement for the 3 Touring for North American market?
It's not replacing the F31, it's replacing the E84. BMW USA is to blame for the F31 being a dud. No rwd option, no manual option, no six cylinder option. All things the ROW gets.

I'd also assume that the F48 will be 200-500 pounds lighter than the porky E84.
They answer I had from bmw for not brigning the G21 to north american market is that the X1 And X3 are going to be so good that a 3 Touring won't be necessary. As for now I don't consider this X1 to be that good so the next X3 better be damn good.
That's fair, we didn't consider the F31 to be that good, so got the E84 with the N55 instead. I just can't see the G chassis being anything good, with the recent trend BMW has been on.
Well you have alot of hp for the money with the E84 with a nice steering feel. On the other hand you have the old 6spd, terrible plastics quality in the interior, no back seat leg room and not alot of cargo room. So it all depend of your priority.
Yeah, and the 6s is just as quick as the 8s when paired with the N55. It's also not like BMW went all high class on plastics with the F cars either.

But yeah, my 6'2" frame a rear facing kid seat, or 5'9" mom sure find the back small. Oh, wait, no they don't.

But in fairness, the F48 looks to have more room back there, probably on par with the F31, but still less than the F34.
The ZF8 make the N55 goes faster than the auto 6spd for sure. The old 6spd use to be as quick as the manual now the zf8 is quicker than the manual. As for the plastic And interior quality the f31 is couple steps above the E84 for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #71
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
Still is an heavy Suv with high COG and no power gain. How this is suppose to be a replacement for the 3 Touring for North American market?
Just had a quick look at the specs, X1 xDrive20i is 5kg lighter than an F31 20i, and the X1 sDrive20i is 55kg lighter... I wouldn't say it's a heavy SUV.
The X1 is a much smaller cars to so I hope is not much heavier than a larger F31. When I was speaking about the 3 Touring I was talking about the G21 which should be lighter too. This is the one that will be kept away from north american market.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #72
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
I need to see more pictures or atleast real life pictures of M sport package. For some strange reason, can't pint point why, but I'm like the white x1 with x line better

Last edited by GuyOh; 06-04-2015 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #73
NickRac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018

Twin Turbo V8? Please?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #74
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley
Quote:

"When required, the multi-plate clutch with the help of an electrohydraulic pump diverts up to 100 percent of the engines power to the rear wheels."

yeah... I'm gonna correct you... cause you're wrong.

Last time I checked, A front wheel drive vehicle ONLY has the capacity to drive TWO wheels- ( the front wheels- natch!) at ALL times.

In your attempts to bash it.. at best.. you can call this FWD biased... or you can make up a name but it is clearly BY DEFINITION not FWD.

Speaking of definitions... From Wikipedia..

ALL WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLE - An AWD vehicle is one with a powertrain capable of providing power to all its wheels, whether full-time or on-demand.

Since this vehicle has the capacity to drive the front wheels AND the rear wheels (again... something that FRONT WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES CANNOT DO!) then it is an all wheel drive vehicle. It may Not be full Time all wheel drive of course.... however. and yes.. there are many different ways an all wheel drive can distribute power and this can vary by manufacturer. It does appear that you ASSUME that the vehicle is going to be 100% FWD powered... until power is needed elsewhere.. ? Why? So.. let's do a little research... ?

Thanks for quoting just part of the BMW press release. Let's see some MORE of it...

" An efficiency-optimized version of the BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system and newly developed chassis technology all help to enhance sporting ability and ride comfort compared to the outgoing model " Perhaps you will need to call BMW AG and tell them to re-write their press release.. ? Perhaps they messed up and said X drive ?

As far as power delivery... Indeed I am aware that many AWD systems begin with an initital concentration/allocation of power and then it is reapportioned based on need. MANY AWD systems are so front biased that they can NEVER at any time send ALL power to the rear... and yet the X1 does.

Speaking of FWD biased AWD... let's read a little on how Subaru's Symmetrical AWD and how it differs from some other systems.

http://www.manchestersubaru.com/suba...heel-drive.htm

And of course here is some information on BMW X DRIVE

" xDrive is the permanent all-wheel drive system from BMW: under normal circumstances, it distributes driver power between the front and rear axles in a 40:60 ratio, and changes this figure variably when the road surface or overall driving conditions change. Acting virtually instantaneously and a manner so subtle as to be go virtually unnoticed by the vehicle's occupants, xDrive can direct up to 100% of drive forces to one axle. "

hmm.. so it sounds like me that the X1 will also have a 40:60 split.. and can send to 100% to the rear axle...

That itself.. as far as I am concerned... even if in normal operation, 100% is sent to the front... if this thing can determine when to send more to the rear (and who knows what conditions are needed.. slippage? heavy throttle? Wide open throttle? ) and especially if it can send ALL power to the rear.. I really see very little point (other than hate!) in trying to pigeonhole this vehicle as FWD or even FWD biased (well.. unless you work for Subaru!)

I'm gonna bet that someone at BMW is probably typing up a page right now so that they can drop the science on how their system works in the X1... assuming it's any different... Of course.. Reading Comprehension being what it is these days...

And finally... if I am driving this mug... let me just tell you... There's gonna be plenty of " When required" time...
Okay, it's FWD most of the time
      06-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #75
Sincity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vs C63-undecided.EDIT: C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOh View Post
I need to see more pictures or atleast real life pictures of M sport package. For some strange reason, can't pint point why, but I'm like the white x1 with line better
Because you are right.

Kleemanized C63
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #76
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRac
Twin Turbo V8? Please?
There's probably room for a spare motor in the hatch. So sure, why not?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #77
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Ironically, the non-M sport version looks better.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:13 AM   #78
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Being available out of US is the same man
      06-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #79
OneTriniHill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 35i xDrive

Looks like a minivan. Seriously not a fan of the shifter either.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 03:41 AM   #80
The long haul
Hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Ghibli, E92m, FTR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium View Post
Being available out of US is the same man
Lol there is no winning an argument with M3 Adjuster. It's not even worth the effort lol.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 03:43 AM   #81
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The long haul View Post
Lol there is no winning an argument with M3 Adjuster. It's not even worth the effort lol.
He didn't try to argue with me before
      06-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #82
e36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

This car looks very nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #83
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeiz View Post
BMW's website, on the other hand, claims 57 front / 43 rear.

In the first paragraph on the Belgian page:
http://www.bmw.be/nl/new-vehicles/x/...ficientie.html
Vehicles equipped with xDrive have perfect 50/50 Weight Distribution.
It is on page 12 of the full press release.
      06-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #84
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattar
Looks great!
Hope they put a bigger engine
+1. Looks good, but with this engine it will be embarrassed by a Hyundai Veracruz in straight line acceleration
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #85
jwr0721
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT

Gahross
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #86
OmegaMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M6 V10 Manual

Right Tool Right Circumstance

I am not going to discount any of what has been said here. Only I will add my two cents worth to say simply, one uses the right tool for the right situation.

In the family I have an X1 E84 an E63 M6 and a FWD Caravan R/T (Ferrari of Mini-Vans). In the dash cam clip, on my way to Vegas I was doing 50mph in my E63 and white knuckling it up to Vail pass in the snow. At this stage of the long trip I would have preferred the X1 or the FWD car as mentioned.

I truly enjoy the non RWD cars in the snow and the X1 handles supreme in AWD...for me it is the right tool for the right situation.

Enjoy the slowest part of my Vegas trip below coming up to Vail Pass.

[u2b]https://youtu.be/75Qgz-sTpFQ[/u2b]

Note the bouncing of the truck and the CO State Patrol in the middle of the highway and my lack of wanting to pass anyone at anything near the posted speed limit in the E63. ;-) At least the hum of the V10 made the music sweeter.

Last edited by OmegaMan; 06-07-2015 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Embedded clip...not directly showing.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 12:51 AM   #87
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Will an MPPK be available at the dealers?

It would be nice to get the 0-60 to be less than 6 seconds if possible.
      06-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #88
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeiz View Post
BMW's website, on the other hand, claims 57 front / 43 rear.

In the first paragraph on the Belgian page:
http://www.bmw.be/nl/new-vehicles/x/...ficientie.html
Vehicles equipped with xDrive have perfect 50/50 Weight Distribution.
It is on page 12 of the full press release.
Something about this doesn't make sense. If the 57/43 is correct for fwd, the 50/50 can't be right for awd.

Just for round numbers, let's say the awd adds 100 pounds and the sDrive weighs 3,200 pounds.

sDrive would be 1824lbs / 1376lbs front and rear.

XDrive would be 1650/1650

Where did 175 pounds on the front axle go? Unless xDrive adds 450 pounds all to the rear axle, this smells of marketing BS, or at least one set of numbers has to be wrong.
Appreciate 0