BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Heated Steering Wheel - Upgrade ?

02-27-2020, 03:19 AM   #1
Fuzzzy
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 20d

Heated Steering Wheel - Upgrade ?

Does anyone know if it is easy to upgrade from M sport steering wheel with paddles to a heated one?
I have found the switch to buy, but I do not know if the wheel (the ring) has already the heating circuit in it or not.
So I wonder if it is just a matter of installing the switch or is it a more complicated job?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzzy View Post
Does anyone know if it is easy to upgrade from M sport steering wheel with paddles to a heated one?
I have found the switch to buy, but I do not know if the wheel (the ring) has already the heating circuit in it or not.
So I wonder if it is just a matter of installing the switch or is it a more complicated job?
Hi
The simple answer is that you will need a number of parts for the conversion, how many depends on the exact specification of your car. It used to be the case that functions and features were often in a car but just not activated (or just missing the switch) but nowadays BMW have numerous part variations and this is especially the case for the steering wheel, where even the interior padding varies. I looked at an upgrade and found it needed significantly more parts than I had imagined because some existing parts needed changing for different ones! I suggest you start by looking at all the parts using the following
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...xdrive20d-sav/

I would not be surprised if a completely new steering wheel is required.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #3
COUWK
The BMW Life
Canada
Rep
Drives: f10 535d xDrive (e36,e46,f48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzzy View Post

Did you have your issue resolved?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #4
COUWK
The BMW Life
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=MJE60;25876397]

As MJE60 says, it depends on your build and options.

There is a good thread for the f30 on the topic here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...97&postcount=1

As far as I'm aware, my f48 build has all the options that the car could be optioned with, except the heated wheel.
I understand that if you have 5AT (Driving Assistant Plus), AND 5DF (Active Cruise Ctrl+stop&go Funct.), then 248 (Steering Wheel Heating) gets replaced by 249 (Multi-function For Steering Wheel)

In my case the slip ring had the "2-wire power feed" which is used for other purposes, but for the heater as well.

The steering wheel itself is/was not heated, and the control unit did not have the heated 4-wire plug/socket.

I got a heated wheel off a f30, and just swapped over the function buttons for volume, cruise, etc.

Besides that, the steering column button assy., with connecting wire was all I needed to purchase to complete the retrofit.

No coding was required in my case.
I did notice that the heated wheel function does stay enabled, so it's nice to not have to re-press the button every time you leave and enter the car.
That could also be a coding thing, which i have not looked into, as i'm happy the way it is.

Hope that clears up and confusion, and maybe creates some questions

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
COUWK
The BMW Life
Canada
Rep

...attached some pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 07:02 AM   #6
Idelgado782
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Looked like an easy enough upgrade for you. What was the overall cost?

I'm looking to get a carbon fiber steering wheel next year. Found a place that keeps the options for my heated steering wheel and with the options I'm looking to get the costs is a little over a grand.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 02:55 PM   #7
COUWK
The BMW Life
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idelgado782 View Post
Looked like an easy enough upgrade for you. What was the overall cost?

I'm looking to get a carbon fiber steering wheel next year. Found a place that keeps the options for my heated steering wheel and with the options I'm looking to get the costs is a little over a grand.

So, going with OEM used parts from eBay, I did the job for only $350 CAD (no airbag thou.)
Minimal costs, full factory look; I might have considered other options for myself, but it's really the wife's car after all... Keep her happy
Appreciate 0