BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Great TV series - What are you watching now?

06-24-2022, 08:21 AM   #4401
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The one thing that has been bothering me the last few years is the tendency for these shows to seemingly go through an inclusionary checklist. Every show has a gay/trans/non-binary/etc. character and/or touches on something political. Sometimes I just want to watch a show and be entertained without all of the rhetoric and forced consumption. You can't even watch Voltron the animated series without some of that stuff being thrown in. It's not personal, but sometimes movies and shows are used to escape the day-to-day nonsense and these writers/producers make it damn near impossible to avoid.

/end rant
This is why the better half and I end up rewatching stuff we've seen vs trying to get invested in new stuff. If I wanted politics I'd turn on a news channel.

And we lean pretty far left when it comes to social stuff, but the identity politics and all that, Latin people saying they don't like LatinX, but white folks insisting it be used, etc.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      06-24-2022, 08:24 AM   #4402
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
This is why the better half and I end up rewatching stuff we've seen vs trying to get invested in new stuff. If I wanted politics I'd turn on a news channel.

And we lean pretty far left when it comes to social stuff, but the identity politics and all that, Latin people saying they don't like LatinX, but white folks insisting it be used, etc.
I think this trend will eventually backfire as viewership will drop off significantly. If I start watching something and it has a political messaging vibe it almost always get's turned off. Hell, even TV commercials are rife with it now.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      06-24-2022, 08:29 AM   #4403
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
The one thing that has been bothering me the last few years is the tendency for these shows to seemingly go through an inclusionary checklist. Every show has a gay/trans/non-binary/etc. character and/or touches on something political. Sometimes I just want to watch a show and be entertained without all of the rhetoric and forced consumption. You can't even watch Voltron the animated series without some of that stuff being thrown in. It's not personal, but sometimes movies and shows are used to escape the day-to-day nonsense and these writers/producers make it damn near impossible to avoid.

/end rant

I've begun doing the same thing as well; watching movies from the late 90's or earlier just to be able to enjoy the movie solely based on the premise without the identity politics or other virtue signaling rhetoric. I think the current Star Trek series was the second tipping point. The trans/non-binary character who tells Spock - who is biologically human and Vulcan - that he doesn't have to be either and he can be something else entirely, and blah, blah…….basically the whole trans/non-binary/etc. narrative….just ruined it (…much like the gay kissing scene in the Voltron cartoon). Totally unnecessary and it does/did nothing to advance to plot nor did it add any depth or texture. I dunno, it's just annoying.
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2022, 08:32 AM   #4404
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Quote:

I think this trend will eventually backfire as viewership will drop off significantly. If I start watching something and it has a political messaging vibe it almost always get's turned off. Hell, even TV commercials are rife with it now.
I think it's beginning to have negative impacts for sure. People are just over it. Even some of my gay/lesbian friends find it exhausting.
Appreciate 3
      06-24-2022, 08:34 AM   #4405
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:

/end rant
Most obvious one is the RELENTLESS casting of mixed race couples. Apparently white people don't marry white people anymore.
Appreciate 4
      06-24-2022, 08:34 AM   #4406
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
I've begun doing the same thing as well; watching movies from the late 90's or earlier just to be able to enjoy the movie solely based on the premise without the identity politics or other virtue signaling rhetoric. I think the current Star Trek series was the second tipping point. The trans/non-binary character who tells Spock - who is biologically human and Vulcan - that he doesn't have to be either and he can be something else entirely, and blah, blah…….basically the whole trans/non-binary/etc. narrative….just ruined it (…much like the gay kissing scene in the Voltron cartoon). Totally unnecessary and it does/did nothing to advance to plot nor did it add any depth or texture. I dunno, it's just annoying.
We just went through Schitt's Creek again. One of the main characters is gay and gets married later in the show. And it's not a big deal because it doesn't feel like he's a character for that explicit purpose.

He's a funny, neurotic character who happens to be gay. Not the other way around.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      06-24-2022, 08:45 AM   #4407
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Quote:

/end rant
Most obvious one is the RELENTLESS casting of mixed race couples. Apparently white people don't marry white people anymore.
That's a valid point. It's interesting that growing up I never watched shows with all white actors/actresses (…e.g. The Brady Bunch, Small Wonder, etc.) and pondered on why there weren't mixed couples, nor did it even really matter that there weren't any blacks on the show(s). On the shows with blacks (…e.g. Different Strokes, etc.), the inclusion didn't matter to me either. It was all about the content and the message(s), which was largely about family values, doing the right thing, humility, accountability, etc. Good luck finding that as easily today as you could back then.

Quote:
Quote:
We just went through Schitt's Creek again. One of the main characters is gay and gets married later in the show. And it's not a big deal because it doesn't feel like he's a character for that explicit purpose.

He's a funny, neurotic character who happens to be gay. Not the other way around.
Great point! It reminds me of the Jack Tripper character in "Three's Company." You knew something was funny about the dude, but it wasn't the focus and it wasn't thrown in your face. In was inclusion in a way that didn't feel forced or political.
Appreciate 3
      06-24-2022, 01:22 PM   #4408
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:

If we're gonna gripe about political correctness in movies and TV, the thing I can't stand is bowing to the Chinese. Whether it's the NBA, Hollywood, or whom ever. Disgusting.
Appreciate 5
      06-24-2022, 01:25 PM   #4409
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:

/end rant
Agreed, especially because they make it too obvious or try to make a big storyline out of it too. My wife really hated the new Sex and the City reboot because of it and found that it was pretty much pandering to every different woke culture/theme.
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      06-24-2022, 02:31 PM   #4410
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Quote:

/end rant
Agreed, especially because they make it too obvious or try to make a big storyline out of it too. She really hated the new Sex and the City reboot because of it and found that it was pretty much pandering to every different woke culture/theme.
Funny you mentioned that show. That whole series was shitty because of the pandering. I think I rolled my eyes in every single episode.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 02:34 PM   #4411
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Quote:
Quote:

If we're gonna gripe about political correctness in movies and TV, the thing I can't stand is bowing to the Chinese. Whether it's the NBA, Hollywood, or whom ever. Disgusting.
Agreed! The identity politics have just about ruined all of the ball sports. Thankfully the WSBK and MotoGP riders have kept their mouths shut and their politics out of it……for the most part.
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2022, 02:35 PM   #4412
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

That minge had better have been good, no other excuse to sit through Sex and the City.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 06:53 PM   #4413
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
That minge had better have been good, no other excuse to sit through Sex and the City.
I watched out of boredom. I had finished every series and watched every movie that interested me at the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 07:16 PM   #4414
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Let's move this along and get back to the topic at hand. Watched Hustle on Netflix last week and it was a decent watch.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2022, 08:03 PM   #4415
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

The Old Man Episode 3.
      06-24-2022, 09:53 PM   #4416
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Let's move this along and get back to the topic at hand. Watched Hustle on Netflix last week and it was a decent watch.
+1 srsly ppl need to realize we're all the same, don't let the stupid rulers divide us. Enough politics please.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:00 AM   #4417
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
The Old Man Episode 3.
Great show. My favorite until better call saul comes back.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15679.00
      06-25-2022, 10:32 AM   #4418
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

Just finished Obi Won Kanobi w family. Started slow but epic finish if you are a star wars fan
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #4419
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I saw when they were at dinner but not sure I can recall what happened next as I was in and out multi-tasking. I expect a lot from shows on FX and this one didn't do it for me. I have limited time on my hands so I will cut bait quickly and move on if a show doesn't speak to me pretty quickly.
You really need to try it again. Episode 3 has a big OMG moment I didn’t see coming.

Last edited by cmyx6go; 06-25-2022 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2022, 10:41 AM   #4420
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

As I was screwing off last night, the better half started Snowflake Mountain. I was hoping it would it make fun of Gen Z kids a bit more, but I wasn't really paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:53 AM   #4421
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
As I was screwing off last night, the better half started Snowflake Mountain. I was hoping it would it make fun of Gen Z kids a bit more, but I wasn't really paying attention.
Coincidentally we put that on for a while too. Good for some laughs.
      06-26-2022, 09:53 AM   #4422
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I just started "Better Call Saul". Kind of hard to do for me because SWMBO doesn't have any interest in it and I have limited time when I can watch alone.
Appreciate 1