BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Engine Vibration

10-26-2020, 05:27 AM   #1
Arthur55
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

Engine Vibration

Hi,

I have a 2019 1.8 S Drive manual X1. The engine is the 1.5 3 cylinder. The car is the M Sport spec. Since having the car now for a couple of months I have noticed that you do get some slight vibrations through the steering wheel. This is in addition to the feedback from the road surface. If I rev the engine stationary you can feel it. For what it is the car pulls well. I was just wondering if this is a characteristic of the engine being a 3 cylinder.

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur55 View Post
Hi,

I have a 2019 1.8 S Drive manual X1. The engine is the 1.5 3 cylinder. The car is the M Sport spec. Since having the car now for a couple of months I have noticed that you do get some slight vibrations through the steering wheel. This is in addition to the feedback from the road surface. If I rev the engine stationary you can feel it. For what it is the car pulls well. I was just wondering if this is a characteristic of the engine being a 3 cylinder.

Many thanks
So what did your dealer say? It is impossible to advise on this sort of thing on a forum without feeling it. Anyone who does is speculating. Sorry to sound blunt, but fault diagnosis by text on a forum is fraught with danger.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks
Not experienced those vibrations from my 2018 18i 1.5Ltr engine, which is coupled to the dual clutch auto box and runs very smoothly and certainly better than I had wondered with it being the 3 pot unit. Have you asked the dealer to check the engine/mounts as indicated by Peter_R in his response.
So far as road surface feedback is concerned, I think the X1 is probably the worst car I have driven for road noise. I wonder if that could be down to the tyres, standard non run flat, 225/50x18 99W Bridgestone Turanza T001 from the factory build.
I'll be switching to my BMW supplied winter wheel set in the next few weeks and these have 205/60x17 93H Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3 tyres. The 17" do give a more comfortable ride, due to the deeper sidewall, although the road noise is still evident (I understand that is a normal aspect of winter tyres and featured on my previous Audi Q3). I have around 4-5mm tread all round on the summer tyres, which includes switching between summer/winter wheels Nov-Mar over the last two winter seasons. Car has covered 28K miles overall on the two sets of wheels. Hope that is of help.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
Arthur55
Private
Rep

Thanks for your replies..........when the car goes in for the next service I’ll ask them to check it....
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 09:28 PM   #5
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks
I'd highly recommend getting a obd2 sensor and an app such as bimmercode so you can monitor your engine for misfires, knocks, and other possible issues that can cause the engine vibration.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 03:00 AM   #6
Arthur55
Private
Rep

Thanks. There are no misfires that I can sense etc. It just at times that there is the feeling when you need to be in a different gear but the revs are sufficient. Say being in 4th, around 35 mph and when you accelerate you can feel some vibration. My previous BMW was rear wheel drive 1 series 3 cylinder, perhaps the X1s front wheel drive system is more susceptible. But I only really feel it through the steering wheel which makes me think the way the steering and engine is mounted on the front wheel drive is a factor.......being a heavier car and my manual gear box choices may not help. At 30 mph the car is happiest in third.

But as said it runs fine but isn’t as smooth as I would have expected through the wheel. I ask them to check when it has a service.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #7
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Ask the dealer for a drive in another to compare.
      11-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
Ask the dealer for a drive in another to compare.
That is not really a possibility, given the plethora of models and engines available at dealers
The chances of him having an identical one will be remote.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #9
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Thanks. There are no misfires that I can sense etc. It just at times that there is the feeling when you need to be in a different gear but the revs are sufficient. Say being in 4th, around 35 mph and when you accelerate you can feel some vibration. My previous BMW was rear wheel drive 1 series 3 cylinder, perhaps the X1s front wheel drive system is more susceptible. But I only really feel it through the steering wheel which makes me think the way the steering and engine is mounted on the front wheel drive is a factor.......being a heavier car and my manual gear box choices may not help. At 30 mph the car is happiest in third.

But as said it runs fine but isn’t as smooth as I would have expected through the wheel. I ask them to check when it has a service.
I tend to suspect it may be the change from RWD to FWD that may be the factor here. That said, there have been engine mount issues in certain F48 models, so could be worthwhile having those checked if this continues to worry you.
Appreciate 0