BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Screen Washer Bottle Blocked

10-14-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
BMW-X1MAN
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 Sdrive 18d SE

Screen Washer Bottle Blocked

My screen washer bottle is blocked, I could hear the jet motor but no water is coming out. BMW want to charge about £175 as they will need to remove the wheel as well as the wheel arch to get to the bottle. I was wondering if someone had a smart / easy idea to get the blockage cleared without taking all apart?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X1MAN View Post
My screen washer bottle is blocked, I could hear the jet motor but no water is coming out. BMW want to charge about £175 as they will need to remove the wheel as well as the wheel arch to get to the bottle. I was wondering if someone had a smart / easy idea to get the blockage cleared without taking all apart?
I have seen it stated on another forum that bicarbonate of soda can unblock it.
Steradent tablets were also mentioned. Sorry, no link.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:22 AM   #3
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

On a previous Audi Q3 I had a similar problem. Was able to sort it by filling the tank with hot water (not boiling, just tap hot), leaving it for a few minutes then trying the pump again several times and flushing the tank with hosepipe to remove any residue. A messy job with water flowing out of the filler on the Audi (don't know what it would be like on the X1, but probably similar - I did take off the hose end sprayer though). I now always use BMW screen wash additive, buying a 5 litre bottle that lasts a long time. A pal who had a 3 Series with the same issue took his car to the local dealer who said it's because he had used another make of screen wash additive and it was a common problem in those circumstances, whereas the BMW product contains inhibitors to stop the issue arising. They did, however, flush the system through, but I don't know what they used. Hence, since his experience, I have only used Audi/BMW genuine products and haven't had any problems.
Appreciate 0