BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Tail of the Dragon Road Trip

07-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
0dannyboi
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 xdrive28i

Tail of the Dragon Road Trip

I'm stopping off at tail of the dragon to get in a few runs before heading further east. I heard it's pretty hard on the brakes so i'll finally have a practical reason to use the paddle shifters. Any tips for the trip?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
Shagohod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

I haven't personally noticed brake fade on the X1, compared to my mustang which was very pronounced after a few runs. However, if you're repeatedly doing some spirited drives, just be a bit cautious as the day goes on not to start overdriving the road because you think you're getting to know it. Also keep an eye on your temps.

But ultimately just take it easy and make sure you enjoy it, maybe get some pics to bring back to us.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Beembar51
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1

Tail of the Dragon

I’ve done the Dragon a few times. The biggest issue is dealing with the Aholes that will be glued to your rear bumper because they think they’re great drivers. Lots of dumb ass bikers, too. Also, be aware there has been increased police presence in recent years because of the abject stupidity of said Aholes and accidents. It’s a beautiful part of the country and there are other fun roads to explore in the area. The key is to try and enjoy the drive as best you can without getting into trouble legally or vehicularly(?).
Appreciate 0