BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos It’s been *so long* since I’ve seen my Corvette

10-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #111
Bewstd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, RAM 2500

These LT motors have been problematic over the LS design which is so robust and amazing. My friend lukcily didn't have this much pushback on his leased ZR1 Camaro when it had two motors in 10k miles

some two wheeled fun and a tow rig
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 10:51 AM   #112
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, E70 X5 50, 04 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewstd View Post
These LT motors have been problematic over the LS design which is so robust and amazing. My friend lukcily didn't have this much pushback on his leased ZR1 Camaro when it had two motors in 10k miles
Wow. What was wrong with the motors. A new motor in 10k miles on a stock car is insane!
2016 Mustang GT Roush Phase 2 with VMP 767 HP kit.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #113
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle6986 View Post
Wow. What was wrong with the motors. A new motor in 10k miles on a stock car is insane!
Now that I have some first hand experience AND done some more research, I can tell you, there are multiple causes.

1. Oil pump: The new LT motors and by extension, any modern Chevy V8 that uses variable, on-demand oil pumps can suffer from a quick death when the pump goes. There's a small "tab" inside the pump that changes the ratio on the fly that has a tendency to sheer on high loads. When that happens the engine lose all oil pressure. It's just a poor design with no redundancy built in, when the variable gear fails the pump should default to using the engine RPM for pressure instead of dropping to zero.

2. Poor choice of oil for bearing clearance: Does this ring a bell? Due to higher and higher MPG demands, GM chooses to put a 5W-30 as the default fill for LTx engines prior to the switch to 5W-40 in 2019. Way too thin of an oil for a high performance engine. In fact, they recommend you switch to a 10W-50 for any sort of performance application. Why not just fill with a 10W-50 to start with?

3. Cylinder deactivation on demand: The valves that closes the intake valve when the cylinder(s) are deactivated for cruising in V4 mode is a great concept, but poorly designed in a pushrod. There are a significant number of engines that failed when the hydraulic valve fails, leading to a lot of people looking to install what they called a "range" device that attaches to the ODB2 port to permanently disable "V4" cylinder deactivation in an effort to stave off the inevitable engine failure when the valve fails.

The recent LT engine is a clear case of trying to put too much technology into an archaic design that isn't really meant for high performance applications. While the old Chevy V8 is a bullet-proof design, most of the recent problems stems from cylinder deactivation, variable load oil pump, and frankly, running way too thin of an oil for GM's DEXOS generation 2 long term fills.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
W///7434.00
      11-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #114
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, E70 X5 50, 04 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Now that I have some first hand experience AND done some more research, I can tell you, there are multiple causes.

1. Oil pump: The new LT motors and by extension, any modern Chevy V8 that uses variable, on-demand oil pumps can suffer from a quick death when the pump goes. There's a small "tab" inside the pump that changes the ratio on the fly that has a tendency to sheer on high loads. When that happens the engine lose all oil pressure. It's just a poor design with no redundancy built in, when the variable gear fails the pump should default to using the engine RPM for pressure instead of dropping to zero.

2. Poor choice of oil for bearing clearance: Does this ring a bell? Due to higher and higher MPG demands, GM chooses to put a 5W-30 as the default fill for LTx engines prior to the switch to 5W-40 in 2019. Way too thin of an oil for a high performance engine. In fact, they recommend you switch to a 10W-50 for any sort of performance application. Why not just fill with a 10W-50 to start with?

3. Cylinder deactivation on demand: The valves that closes the intake valve when the cylinder(s) are deactivated for cruising in V4 mode is a great concept, but poorly designed in a pushrod. There are a significant number of engines that failed when the hydraulic valve fails, leading to a lot of people looking to install what they called a "range" device that attaches to the ODB2 port to permanently disable "V4" cylinder deactivation in an effort to stave off the inevitable engine failure when the valve fails.

The recent LT engine is a clear case of trying to put too much technology into an archaic design that isn't really meant for high performance applications. While the old Chevy V8 is a bullet-proof design, most of the recent problems stems from cylinder deactivation, variable load oil pump, and frankly, running way too thin of an oil for GM's DEXOS generation 2 long term fills.
Thanks for the detailed response. At least is sounds like there is a band aid to resolve issue 2 and 3. The oil pump issue doesn't sound as easy.
2016 Mustang GT Roush Phase 2 with VMP 767 HP kit.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:22 AM   #115
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Oh no!

Quote:
I want this chapter closed. I really do.

First, if they had fixed the car right in the first place, and fixed it well with a new engine, they’d be out maybe $10-12K as the LT1 engine’s not all that expensive. Instead, they’re paying my law firm that much just to cut me a $70K check. Good job Chevy.

But I thought the saga is over when I signed the buy back agreement. Nope.

A few weeks ago I got a call from the Chevy dealership asking me to return the loaner. I’m like, “GREAT! Does GM have my check ready?” “Um, no...but you have had the loaner for weeks and GM has indicated that since your Corvette is flagged for buy back, we’re no longer going to try and fix it. So we need you to return the loaner.”

“So you’re telling me that you’ll keep my $88k car, a car I haven’t been compensated for, and I need to return the loaner you lent me because you don’t want to fix the car anymore?”

“Well, no, sir, you can take your Corvette back.”

“Has it been fixed?”

“...”

“Car’s subject to a buy back agreement sir. We’re under no obligation to fix it now. But it runs. You can drive it.”

“Okay. Say I take the car back, and the engine seized at 70mph. Are you guys going to assume the liability?”

“Sir the car runs.”

“Your engineer hear that nasty knocking sound right? Unless they can tell me exactly what is the cause of that, and give me a statement in writing that the diagnostic is the car is perfectly safe to operate, I’m not touching that car with a thousand foot pole.”

“Let me check with the tech and I’ll get back to you on that.”

Haven’t heard back since. And it’s been 3 weeks. 5 weeks since I signed the buy back agreement. Meanwhile, I don’t even know why they bother making this Trax, as it is by far the shittiest car I’ve ever driven. The ONLY redeeming value is I took the family to Vegas and it returned a respectable 30 mpg. When that is the ONLY positive thing one can say about any vehicle, well...you might as well just give me a fucking Prius.

I mean, the Grand Sport was an awesome car when it ran. And frankly some Chevy cars are worth consideration. But when one factor in the fact that you had to work with your local Chevy dealership, well...that pretty much closes the book on any Chevy for me.

Still waiting for Chevy to order me to “surrender” my car. Believe you me, even though the loaner doesn’t cost me a dime to drive except the cost of fuel, really, I’d rather have this eyesore off my driveway to be honest.
Greetings HACK,
This reads like a textbook example of how-not-to care for the customer. It is beyond egregious that the basic transportation provided to you while your $88K Vette sits in their possession must be returned is laughable.

I was with Four Seasons Hotels at Director level for sixteen years. We were empowered to do ANYTHING possible to take care of the customer - period.

Your story is one of pain and suffering....and I'm not referring to your Vette.
      11-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #116
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post

Your story is one of pain and suffering....and I'm not referring to your Vette.
Funny, my wife said the same thing.

Customer Service is not in their vernacular. This is absolutely a case study for how if one were to spend a few more dollars on taking care of a customer, one might avoid paying THOUSANDS more for a standard warranty case. The simple fact now remains, had GM paid ~$15,000 to swap in a new motor immediately, they wouldn’t be out $81k ($88k minus the $7,000 trunk cash on the car at the time of purchase) to buy back now a lemon titled car that they can maybe sell for $25k on the best of economic days. Save $10,000 (rough cost of the engine) to lose $60k. Genius.

On top of all that, we just got a bill from GM for $1,5xx for the Bolt EV that I returned after my dad passed away earlier this year (the story is on here somewhere too). We as a family had just gotten around to be able to talk about the loss without a ball of emotions, now I’m reminded all over again of the loss we suffered, and the attempt to extort $$$ from a grieving widow they tried at the beginning of the year. It’s not bad enough that we lost a loved one, they wanted my mom, 74 year old widow with no financial support except for the small stipend she receives from the government, who has depended on my dad her whole life, to pay the remaining balance on a fixed income, and even after I spent hours straightening it out between various parties, 10 months after he passed away, they decided to try and “collect” again and ripping open healing wounds.

Honestly, I’ve had some good and bad experiences with manufactures and car brands. I’ve owned and operated every single major brand under the sun except for VAG and Ford. And yes there are quite a few bad ones, but none nearly as bad as GM. Great product, but don’t EVER dream of having any issues because this is the kind of sh*t you deal with. Their dealership network is by far the worst of the bunch, and their corporate attitude towards customer service post sale is “f*ck them, let’s find the cheapest way possible to fix it.”

I was a staunch defender of every car brand, since I worked in the automotive aftermarket industry for a while. You will never hear me defend GM ever again. It is a garbage brand with garbage ownership experience.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #117
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Not gonna lie, the dealership experience and customer service played a big part in my switching from always-American-V8 vehicles to BMW / looking at Porsche eventually.

This thread is a very solid reinforcement of that decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #118
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

So did you get your check yet, OP?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:06 PM   #119
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
So did you get your check yet, OP?
Nope.
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1363.50
jmack548.50
      11-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #120
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Greetings HACK,
SO.WRONG.

We feel and see your pain. Grossly Mismanaged (GM) has ruined any low-level reputation they had. And to see the horrific way in which they have affected your family during the hardest of times is simply pathetic.
      11-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #121
The HACK
Rep

Finally got the check from GM. At least they didn’t cheap out and pay a low settlement fee. I got back basically what I paid for the car plus tax and fees.

From the day the engine blew up on February 29th (yay leap year), until they finally send me the check, almost 270 days (nearly 9 months) have passed. Epic level of indifference from GM for their customers.

I hope none of you will ever have to go through this process. If you DO I have a great law firm I can recommend.
Appreciate 5
wdb4673.00
jmack548.50
XMetal1096.50
      11-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #122
Cajun1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4!

Glad you got your $ back!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #123
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Woohoo! At last!

Car shopping time!??
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #124
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Wowie!

Quote:
Finally got the check from GM. At least they didn’t cheap out and pay a low settlement fee. I got back basically what I paid for the car plus tax and fees.

From the day the engine blew up on February 29th (yay leap year), until they finally send me the check, almost 270 days (nearly 9 months) have passed. Epic level of indifference from GM for their customers.

I hope none of you will ever have to go through this process. If you DO I have a great law firm I can recommend.
Greetings HACK!
YAY!!!! Order a pizza and throw a party.

Such self-induced trauma (by GM)....they don't get it today and they won't get it tomorrow, leading one to NEVER purchase a vehicle of any kind from GM. And to make things worse, a last gen C7 Grand Sport....your Vette was not transportation....it was passion. You purchased the Vette b/c it was an uber high-performing sports car. It's so painful to discover the oil pump thingy that failed was a known Achilles heal. Companies do this all the time, just look at the latest Boeing debacle....a brand new 737 MAX platform with re-engineered flight controls and Boeing did not inform the airlines of a massively fatal flaw that brought down two new 737 MAX's and 350 souls perished.

Now, what's next?? We can immediately rule out a new C8. Are you entering the high-performance market again??

Take a deep breath....it's over....you at least have a check that was not an embarassingly low-ball amount.
      11-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #125
The HACK
Rep

Tesla Model 3. It’s been 6 months since there’s an EV in the garage. I miss not having to pay for “fuel.” Plus I like having a high revving NAspro engine in my MZ4 Coupe, a high compression turbo diesel that can easily get 40mpg cruising on the freeway in the 335d, and a full BEV with range to beat both (almost) with AWD.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #126
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Tesla Model 3. It’s been 6 months since there’s an EV in the garage. I miss not having to pay for “fuel.” Plus I like having a high revving NAspro engine in my MZ4 Coupe, a high compression turbo diesel that can easily get 40mpg cruising on the freeway in the 335d, and a full BEV with range to beat both (almost) with AWD.
Time to change your avatar picture
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #127
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I hope you weren't having to drive that Chevy Trax the entire time?
The six weeks GM had my Vette they had me in a Chevy Malibu and I wanted to kill myself every morning I crawled into that abortion.
Appreciate 1
Mavus2014.50
      11-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #128
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I hope you weren't having to drive that Chevy Trax the entire time?
The six weeks GM had my Vette they had me in a Chevy Malibu and I wanted to kill myself every morning I crawled into that abortion.
Man I’m sorry.

When they had the car from March to July, I told them I didn’t need a loaner because I had 2 other cars in the garage to use. I figure unless they put me in a 1LE Camaro, nothing is going to be “worth” taking.

Of course I didn’t know at the time they would take 4 months to “fix” the engine.

When after 3 weeks the engine started another “death knock,” I figure I’d ask for a loaner to maybe make them think about fixing the car sooner, because every day the car’s in my possession it’s costing them MONEY. Another 4 months later driving that piece of sh*t I finally had to “surrender” it which I was more than happy to.

Apparently they seem to think a $20,000 loaner car for a $88,000 car in the shop is a better trade for ME. Had the balls to ask for the Trax back. I’m like “is the Corvette fixed? If not then you can forget it.”
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #129
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Time to change your avatar picture
Good point. When I get my Tesla M3LR.

I think I’ll have to ask for the customized plate “THX GM”.
Appreciate 3
      12-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #130
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i , '67 Corvette BB,

Quote:
While the old Chevy V8 is a bullet-proof design, most of the recent problems stems from cylinder deactivation, variable load oil pump, and frankly, running way too thin of an oil for GM's DEXOS generation 2 long term fills.
my 54 year old 'Chevy' still runs strong ..........
Attached Images

12-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #131
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikado463 View Post
my 54 year old 'Chevy' still runs strong ..........
I can confirm. They don't make them like they used to. Nor do they look remotely as good either.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:12 PM   #132
LaVitaEBella
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Woohoo! At last!

Car shopping time!??
It seems like you are ready to get a new car.
Appreciate 0