10-18-2020, 03:47 AM   #23
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
@lonegun , while I'm sure you're an excellent driver, I'm equally sure you've never been confronted by the need to do an emergency lane change maneuver on a wet motorway at speed. If you had, I know for sure that you would never advocate — let alone practice — driving around on public roads with DSC off. No advanced driving instructor that I know suggests this — on a race track or private road, sure, understand the unassisted handling and response of your car, but on a public road — never!

I also suspect you might want to read up on the action/effects the various active safety systems of the xDrive X1 — especially the interactions of the stability control system, the traction control moderation, Haldex AWD system and automatic differential brake. There are very good reasons BMW incorporated them into the car, as I'm sure the BMW tech will tell you, if he didn't already. None of those reasons include "increasing brake pad wear so that owners must replace more frequently, to BMW's profit" — that's just an inevitable consequence.

DSC in these cars is several generations more advanced than the early ESP systems; it is no longer the case that cars handle "better" with these systems turned off, and to believe so is folly and very, very dangerous — to the extent that if you cause an accident while driving with such safety systems disabled, you may find yourself (a) unisured; and (b) criminally liable in the event of death/injury caused to another.

If you really wish to learn and understand the value of these systems, enroll in one of BMW's driver courses — the "M" Experience or — specifically for the X series — the X series Snow and Ice experience. They're very, very good — as well as teaching us how to enjoy these cars, they also demonstrate the cars' awesome capabilities.
Absolutely agree and some more. I will also add having reread the previous post, the DSC is there as a safety feature. see..
https://www.ppsl-bmw.sg/insights/Dyn...20accelerating.
Not just to babysit. It is also there for the experienced driver.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 10-18-2020 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
ttimbo281.50
      10-19-2020, 11:31 PM   #24
ddnmkun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, G05

I just replaced the front pads sensor myself today at 28000mi with a caution message reminder.
The ‘bites‘ was very uneven, both sides the outside pads has tons leftover. Front left inside, which also where the sensor are, bit down to like 35%, which I believe can still go for another 3000miles (the sensor is pretty “thick”). Right front however is down to like 15%, so i think that’s why the sensor is conservative.
Overall one of the four pads down to below minimum, but the difference is really huge.
Btw, the front sensor electric plug is a huge pain in the ass to reach, gotta be patient on that one.
Appreciate 1
ttimbo281.50