BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW F48 2017 Dash Cam Hardwire

10-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
Joeyb200
Rep
Drives: BMW x1

BMW F48 2017 Dash Cam Hardwire

Hey everyone! I decided to post some pictures of my Dashcam Hardwire since there is no pictures of the install and I want to help people who need some guidance with it. The pictures I've linked below are only of the right side of the car with the Fuse Box and the Ground wire location.
The Fuse I tapped into was 65. The image for the grounding bolt may look unclear all you have to do is pop off the black trim piece on the right side of the car on the side of the glove box and voila there it is.

Here is the link for the hardwire kit https://www.amazon.com/Hardwire-Dash...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited by Joeyb200; 10-17-2020 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Edited for better photos
Appreciate 4
      11-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #2
kevvxm
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyb200 View Post
Hey everyone! I decided to post some pictures of my Dashcam Hardwire since there is no pictures of the install and I want to help people who need some guidance with it. The pictures I've linked below are only of the right side of the car with the Fuse Box and the Ground wire location.
The Fuse I tapped into was 65. The image for the grounding bolt may look unclear all you have to do is pop off the black trim piece on the right side of the car on the side of the glove box and voila there it is.

Here is the link for the hardwire kit https://www.amazon.com/Hardwire-Dash...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Thank you for this post, it's really helpful!

How did you hide the wires to the camera?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #3
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevvxm View Post

For a front camera, you can tuck cabling in to the headliner then behind passenger-side A-pillar air bag and finally run it to fuse box area. There's a small "Airbag" plastic tab that can be popped out, which will reveal a screw. Once screw is removed, pull the A-pillar trim off.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
kevvxm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
Quote:

For a front camera, you can tuck cabling in to the headliner then behind passenger-side A-pillar air bag and finally run it to fuse box area. There's a small "Airbag" plastic tab that can be popped out, which will reveal a screw. Once screw is removed, pull the A-pillar trim off.
Thank you! Do I need to disconnect the battery terminal to do that?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Thank you! Do I need to disconnect the battery terminal to do that?
Safest method is to disconnect negative battery terminal and wait 15 to 20 mins to let any residual power drain off. Will also reduce risk of accidentally deploying the airbag.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 03:51 AM   #6
Wadadli Cooler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive25d Msport F48

Mine has front and rear wired Thinkware cameras. Worth noting that they cause a battery drain when the car is parked up, which can show up as error warnings. It's a good idea to give the car a regular run out, or use a CTEK battery conditioner once a month, if the car is left standing for a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

I just plug mine straight into the "aux socket" that is conveniently hidden above the passenger footwell, just behind the glovebox.
No need to mess about with fuses, earths etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #8
kevvxm
Rep

I have the Thinkware T700 LTE and used this fuses to tap into the car:

the little fuse is the fuse 38 that was empty, but is for the horn and it's live after the car powers off (on the fuse tap I added two fuses just in case it's actually powering something) and the big fuse is 65, used for one of the lighters.

The empty fuses have connectors only on one side, I don't think they connect internal components as I still don't have the horn working after the car is powering off.

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0