BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Tips for new car delivery/inspection?

03-08-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
konidamper9
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster, 2021 X1

Tips for new car delivery/inspection?

Hey guys, I have a 2021 X1 arriving this week in NY. My first time getting a brand new, customer-built BMW.

Do you have any tips on things I should be checking out or looking for when taking delivery of the X1? (things I need to make sure the dealership does or includes, etc.)

xDrive, M-sport, HK, premium pkg, sliding rear seats.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

There really is only one big thing that you need to do at the dealership before you take delivery of the car. And that is inspect all the exterior and interior surfaces that they are acceptable to you and there are no scratches, dings or dents anywhere. Because once you get home and you discover a scratch, the dealer can claim that you did it and you won’t have any way to justify that. Everything else like whether the wipers don’t work or do work , is not important because you can return the car to the dealer and warranty will handle that. But if the dealer wants to be a jerk, scratches can be blamed on you, after you leave the dealership. That’s why it’s important to identify them before they hand you the keys.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      03-08-2021, 08:27 PM   #3
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

I took delivery of my 2021 custom order last month. Here are a couple of items to consider:

• My dealership put stencil letters of their name under the badge. I promptly made them take it off before I left the lot. If your dealership does that, I'd ask them in advance. I don't need to advertise them on my X1

• Mine did not come with wheel locks. If you want them, let your rep know in advance, so that they can take care of that for you before pickup.

• When I got home and opened the hood, there were remains of the white plastic wrap they use to protect the vehicle hood while in transit. Not a big deal, but something to keep an eye out for.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #4
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by konidamper9 View Post
Hey guys, I have a 2021 X1 arriving this week in NY. My first time getting a brand new, customer-built BMW.

Do you have any tips on things I should be checking out or looking for when taking delivery of the X1? (things I need to make sure the dealership does or includes, etc.)

Thanks!
Don't take delivery if it's raining, it's harder to see scuffs and scratches. I guess get the car in the light to properly inspect and if you want use a flashlight to properly inspect the surface. I doubt there will be any damage but you never know. These come from overseas in either roro ships or containers which are a PITA to get in and out of the car when it's in a container.

If they're coming on RoRos check the driver seat for any dirty oil residue I'm sure the seats are covered with a plastic bag but these port workers or sometimes vessels crew are trying to unload hundreds if not thousands of cars in the shortest amount of time possible as the port costs can be in the hundreds of thousands. It's entirely possible albeit unlikely that that one of the drivers might have some sort of dirty residue on their clothes. Or while scrambling they open the door too far or the wind pushes the door open to far etc. I'd check the leather to make everything is satisfactory especially if it's not black leather as well as the exterior paint in the obvious areas.

But otherwise congrats on the new car and I hope she brings you years of smiles and joy. What color did you get? Post a pic when you pick her up.

I also second what the person above said about the company logo. I took off the license plate liners from the dealership I got mine from. Their logo is a little star which doesn't bother me that much but otherwise I'd have gotten rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 10:22 PM   #5
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Check that the car has all the options that you ordered and test them out. The salesperson should walk you through some features and give you some tips.

Confirm that you get all the "loose" parts, including carpet/rubber floor mats. Inspect the trunk area and there should be tow hooks in a package located in the wheel well.

Take your time because it is disappointing and a hassle to have to go back the next day to the dealer after waiting with excitement and paying your hard-earned money.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      03-13-2021, 12:45 AM   #6
konidamper9
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster, 2021 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs2229 View Post
Check that the car has all the options that you ordered and test them out. The salesperson should walk you through some features and give you some tips.

Confirm that you get all the "loose" parts, including carpet/rubber floor mats. Inspect the trunk area and there should be tow hooks in a package located in the wheel well.

Take your time because it is disappointing and a hassle to have to go back the next day to the dealer after waiting with excitement and paying your hard-earned money.
All great advice guys, thanks. Will def post a pic. Do they all come with rubber floor mats standard?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 12:56 AM   #7
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

Nope.

Quote:
All great advice guys, thanks. Will def post a pic. Do they all come with rubber floor mats standard?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 05:56 AM   #8
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

One other thing: and you can check it when you get home if you want, but tire pressures often come from the dealer overinflated. The reason is they pump up the pressure when they put them on the transport/RORO so they can tie them down. And many technicians miss this step in the PDI, causing the car to ride hard.
Appreciate 1
wcs2229170.50
      03-13-2021, 11:29 PM   #9
hspcauspnc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 74 2002,92 318i,01 325i,07 328

lets see it!

Quote:

Thanks!
HI, i'm considering ordering soon. Can i ask how long it took you to get your car?

BTW, my last 328i i bought Coco mats, i loved them, a bit pricey but they make your car look good and always looks clean.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 11:32 PM   #10
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

For me, ordered mid-November, picked up from dealership mid-January. California delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hspcauspnc View Post
HI, i'm considering ordering soon. Can i ask how long it took you to get your car?

BTW, my last 328i i bought Coco mats, i loved them, a bit pricey but they make your car look good and always looks clean.
Appreciate 0