BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Non TPMS with on X1?

10-07-2017, 01:31 AM   #1
oldbunny
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Non TPMS with on X1?

Newb here, can I put on a set of the wheels that without the TPMS on it? I am looking for my winter set soon. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Yes, you can, but I would not recommend it:
-you will have message saying malfunction on TPMS - can possibly be killed.
-you will, probably, install non-RFT:s - then TPMS is even more valuable - together with kit with slime/sealent and 12V compressor.

I bought pirate sensors at half price - local shop programmed both sensors and vehicle - no problem.

Since sensors are not active unless rotation - life goes up from nominally 5-7 years to 7-10 years, when winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 04:15 AM   #3
ChilledOut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 S18 D Auto

Many thanks to the OP and subsequent reply from Tjalle. This has answered a question I was about to ask! Thank you both.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
oldbunny
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
Yes, you can, but I would not recommend it:
-you will have message saying malfunction on TPMS - can possibly be killed.
-you will, probably, install non-RFT:s - then TPMS is even more valuable - together with kit with slime/sealent and 12V compressor.

I bought pirate sensors at half price - local shop programmed both sensors and vehicle - no problem.

Since sensors are not active unless rotation - life goes up from nominally 5-7 years to 7-10 years, when winter tires.
Thank you very much. So I will try my local tire shop to make sure the sensors would compatible with the new winter set.

Sure to post the winter pics later.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 12:51 AM   #5
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Just make sure it is the responsibility of tire shop to have sensors connect to vehicle.

In order to check that display identifies correct tires, you could start with different pressure.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
delsnermms
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbunny View Post
Newb here, can I put on a set of the wheels that without the TPMS on it? I am looking for my winter set soon. Thanks in advance.
There is no TPMS on Canadian X1s. The system uses rotational speed to measure tire pressure. I got winters rims put on last year and they verified that there is no TPMS.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
mrexcuse
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tiguan, M2 Comp, 330 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsnermms View Post
There is no TPMS on Canadian X1s. The system uses rotational speed to measure tire pressure. I got winters rims put on last year and they verified that there is no TPMS.
I second this. The Canadian vehicles don't have TPMS, instead they use the ABS to sense when there is a flat. No pressure readout. Easy reset when swapping on winters. It was like this on my 3 and is like this on my 1 series. Picking up X1 on Monday :-)
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #8
orion_squall
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

canadian model

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrexcuse View Post
I second this. The Canadian vehicles don't have TPMS, instead they use the ABS to sense when there is a flat. No pressure readout. Easy reset when swapping on winters. It was like this on my 3 and is like this on my 1 series. Picking up X1 on Monday :-)
I have a E92 and I never understood how the flat-sensing worked. When I swap in and out of winter tires, I didn't even need to reset. But one time I have a flat on mynon-run-flat winters, I got a warning. I have a Canadian model to.

I assume X1 behaves exactly the same? As I plan to swap in winter tires myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #9
mrexcuse
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tiguan, M2 Comp, 330 Touring

Sorry for the delayed reply, when i swapped the winters on I just had to go to the idrive and reset them, then no more issue. If you don't it might sense that you have a flat.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:39 AM   #10
AndreyM
Registered
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 2017 2.0i xDrive

Just installed tpms sensors and activited them:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #11
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

What model / year? My Canadian X1 just measures rotational speed for TPMS. Does this mean I can optionally install TPMS and code the car to use it?
Appreciate 0