BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Best place to sell your X1?

09-20-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Best place to sell your X1?

I'm looking to upsize cars and need to sell my 2017 X1. I'm aware of places like Facebook Marketplace, Cargurus, Cars.com, etc. Are there any BMW specific places I should consider?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:22 AM   #2
bimmerman_X1
Rep

I dont know about best place, but if you are upgrading sometimes dealerships are a good place and here is why:

1. Most states wont charge sales tax on trade in value. in WA thats a 10% saving.
2. Many dealership offer incentive on trade in, e.g. I got a mailer from BMW Portland around a 5k incentive to trade in.

I feel like many BMW cars have poor resale after their value years. So I am also interested to see what people say here.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerman_X1 View Post
I dont know about best place, but if you are upgrading sometimes dealerships are a good place and here is why:

1. Most states wont charge sales tax on trade in value. in WA thats a 10% saving.
2. Many dealership offer incentive on trade in, e.g. I got a mailer from BMW Portland around a 5k incentive to trade in.

I feel like many BMW cars have poor resale after their value years. So I am also interested to see what people say here.
Unfortunately I live in a state (VA) that likes to tax gouge on car sales. They charge tax on the full price of the car before any trade-ins or incentives. Nevertheless, I've considering shopping the car around to dealers/Carvana/Zoom/etc., but I'm actually a weirdo who enjoys selling my private cars and have the patience for the 2-3 months wait it takes to find a buyer who will negotiate in good faith.

As for resale value, I'm in the fortunate position of having purchased my X1 at around 10 months old and avoided the biggest depreciation drop, so if the KBB/etc. values are dependable then I'll come out only losing ~$9k in 3 years of ownership (way cheaper than a lease!). My car also has a few months of warranty left which helps a little.

Last edited by jmhumr; 09-21-2020 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0