BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) F39 (X2) Top Issues and Cargo Space

07-30-2021, 03:10 PM   #1
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

F39 (X2) Top Issues and Cargo Space

My wife and I are contemplating buying an X1 and then she saw the X2 and expressed interest in it so I though I would ask F39 X2 owners for their feedback on a few topics.

1. What would you say are the top reliability issues? I'm not so concerned with nagging minor things like rattles, colors, controls, etc but the sort of things that make you bring the car into the dealer and prevent you from driving it.

2. We saw the size of the cargo space on the X1 and were impressed. Is the X2 the same? For us, we are interested in the space between the cargo floor and the under side of the rolling cargo cover when in the fully extended position as to hide the contents of the cargo space. Also, is the space below the cargo floor the same size as in the X1?

3. I drove a 2021 X-Line X1 and the seats killed by back. I was told that the M Sprort Pkg seats are much better but have yet to find an M Sport to test drive. Are the seats in the X2 the same as in the X1 meaning as in the X-Line and in the M Sport pkg? Any comments on the comfort of the seats, especially in the lumbar area would be appreciated (I know everyone's back is different).

If anyone would like to post pix of the cargo area and the area under the cargo floor, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 05:11 PM   #2
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
My wife and I are contemplating buying an X1 and then she saw the X2 and expressed interest in it so I though I would ask F39 X2 owners for their feedback on a few topics.

1. What would you say are the top reliability issues? I'm not so concerned with nagging minor things like rattles, colors, controls, etc but the sort of things that make you bring the car into the dealer and prevent you from driving it.

2. We saw the size of the cargo space on the X1 and were impressed. Is the X2 the same? For us, we are interested in the space between the cargo floor and the under side of the rolling cargo cover when in the fully extended position as to hide the contents of the cargo space. Also, is the space below the cargo floor the same size as in the X1?

3. I drove a 2021 X-Line X1 and the seats killed by back. I was told that the M Sprort Pkg seats are much better but have yet to find an M Sport to test drive. Are the seats in the X2 the same as in the X1 meaning as in the X-Line and in the M Sport pkg? Any comments on the comfort of the seats, especially in the lumbar area would be appreciated (I know everyone's back is different).

If anyone would like to post pix of the cargo area and the area under the cargo floor, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
1. zero
2. x1 taller in rear above cargo cover
3. M35i only way to go for everything including seats

my x2m35i trunk

it will fit quite a bit under as well, youtube videos show that
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 10:07 PM   #3
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

The "top issues" with the x2 are exactly the same ones that were brought up in your thread with the x1 "top issues" they are almost exactly the same vehicle, the difference is that the x2 is an x1 with less cargo space and a lower roofline, from the beltline down they are 100% the same for all comparisons, so that answers #2.

For those saying "M35i is the way to go" well that's great if you have another $10k for it and are also willing to give up a few MPG, and that MPG will go lower because you're going to lean into it more for the fun factor
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 08:17 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Very reliable car for us. U.K. 2.0D XDrive here.

3 years in and zero issues to date. For the size and footprint I think the space on offer is great and for a family of 4, if all under 6ft, there's no real need for anything more. To my eye the X2 side profile is so much nicer than the X1. X1 is no ugly by any means, cracking SUV but the exterior is awesome on the X2.

It's really all about 'can you live' with the X1/2 interior and IDrive 6 as it now like a fair bit outdated.
      07-31-2021, 08:33 AM   #5
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M35i

I found that the X2 cargo room was a lot closer to the X1 in use than it looks from the outside. Wife was concerned about that with all the traveling we do, but after a year and half it’s not been an issue at all. Surprising amount of space inside.
      07-31-2021, 01:53 PM   #6
bumpy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X2, TTS

Get the M sport seats if you can, available on the M35i and 28i Mesh Edition, and not available on X1(at least in US).

My wife who has herniated disks in her lower back and neck says it's the most comfortable seats she's sat in, almost therapeutic.

As for cargo space, in practice it's been a non-issue. Just pop down rear seats when you need more space.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17427.50
      07-31-2021, 08:26 PM   #7
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
For those saying "M35i is the way to go" well that's great if you have another $10k for it and are also willing to give up a few MPG, and that MPG will go lower because you're going to lean into it more for the fun factor
This was the only reason for me to look at the X2. I was test driving an Alfa Stelvio and saw the X2 on the lot and was about to skip it until I saw it was the M35i. One test drive and I said SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated and due to them, we went to take a look at an X2 yesterday. Long story short, my wife didn't care for the exterior like she did when looking at it on line, so the X2 is out and we are back to looking at the X1.
I liked the X2's looks, sort of mean and aggressive looking and less utilitarian but we're not looking for a car for me. Too bad they don't yet offer the X1 in the M35i package ...and yes, the M35i optional sport seats look great!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #9
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated and due to them, we went to take a look at an X2 yesterday. Long story short, my wife didn't care for the exterior like she did when looking at it on line, so the X2 is out and we are back to looking at the X1.
I liked the X2's looks, sort of mean and aggressive looking and less utilitarian but we're not looking for a car for me. Too bad they don't yet offer the X1 in the M35i package ...and yes, the M35i optional sport seats look great!
I'd say look at the mini countryMan S all4 aswell.
Same platform.
Also love it or hate it styling though.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTruk View Post
I'd say look at the mini countryMan S all4 aswell.
Same platform.
Also love it or hate it styling though.
Right, love it or hate it...well I don't hate it but I don't love it either I do like the seats but that's about where it starts and ends. The first edition Mini BMW released was nice...plain and simple but now they've morphed into a, well, an un-Mini. I lost interest in them some time ago.
Appreciate 0