BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) RESET Transmission service light

04-25-2024, 02:32 PM   #1
andylew0
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 S 2.0

RESET Transmission service light

Hi I have a 2018 X2 2.0 petrol sdrive.

Renewed the gearbox oil today. But can not find a way to reset the “service transmission oil” warning on the infotainment system.

Searched all the forums and been right through Bimmerlink and Bimmercode with no luck.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Andy.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 09:44 AM   #2
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Good question. I suspect this will require a professional-type tool. My Autophix 7910 doesn't appear to support it, although it does support a bunch of BMW-specific maintenance things.

I wonder if the warning originates in the "CBS" condition-based servicing, like the engine oil change does. It will be easier to reset, if it's a CBS function. Your best bet might be to find an independent shop that has the appropriate gear however.

Are there any actual transmission diagnostic codes showing now? If so, displaying them might lead to the magic menu to reset the stored metrics.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 03:40 PM   #3
andylew0
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TMT View Post
Good question. I suspect this will require a professional-type tool. My Autophix 7910 doesn't appear to support it, although it does support a bunch of BMW-specific maintenance things.

I wonder if the warning originates in the "CBS" condition-based servicing, like the engine oil change does. It will be easier to reset, if it's a CBS function. Your best bet might be to find an independent shop that has the appropriate gear however.

Are there any actual transmission diagnostic codes showing now? If so, displaying them might lead to the magic menu to reset the stored metrics.
Hi thanks for the reply. Yes it seems I’m going to have to find somebody with ISTA or similar. I have had a reply from Bimmer and need to submit a support ticket. As at first they told me it’s not a CBS which obviously it is.

As three separate OBD including Bimmer are showing 421203: Gear oil: shelf life exceeded.

On Bimmer it’s only showing in ERROR MEMORY and not as a permanent or info code. 🤔

May bite the bullet and buy a launch tablet.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 12:50 PM   #4
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

If it's showing as a stored error, it might be affecting certain functions. The car isn't going to want to overcook the fluid, for instance. So, it's probably worth finding the secret reset magic. Interested in anything you find.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 02:21 PM   #5
andylew0
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TMT View Post
If it's showing as a stored error, it might be affecting certain functions. The car isn't going to want to overcook the fluid, for instance. So, it's probably worth finding the secret reset magic. Interested in anything you find.
Cars driving fine pretty much the same prior to changing the gearbox oil. It’s not being used now until I find a solution. Looking more likely that I’ll buy a launch OBD reader. Will update once I resolved it. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 11:21 PM   #6
X1604M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, F48 28i

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
You should get ISTA instead of OBD reader. IMHO you will have more luck of finding the issue with ISTA than other OBD readers. I am not an expert but I believe that warning is not part of the maintenance plan which can be cleared out by the dash menu. Hoping that you find the solution soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 05:45 AM   #7
andylew0
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1604M View Post
You should get ISTA instead of OBD reader. IMHO you will have more luck of finding the issue with ISTA than other OBD readers. I am not an expert but I believe that warning is not part of the maintenance plan which can be cleared out by the dash menu. Hoping that you find the solution soon.
Launch uk pads are at dealer level diagnostics. I’m not purchasing a cheap OBD reader as it will serve me in other areas. The light I have on is indeed part of the Condition Based Service. But as you say it can’t be reset via the dash menu. I have the launch uk tablet hopefully arriving today or over the weekend. I’ll update once the lights reset. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0