GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

06-24-2016, 04:20 AM   #45
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashful
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Still doesn't change the fact that the car has a lot of oversteer. I'd wager a majority of professional drivers would say that this 911 is easier to drive Vs GTS.

Read Evo or Motor trend's articles about the GTS.... the M4 is not an M4 GTS...like a 911 carrera S is not a gt3 RS. You don't know what you're talking about....it's ok, it happens...but you just can't make generalizations, if you really have no reference....but it is the internet...so...
I was just going off another video of this gt3 Vs gts. The driver of the GTS appeared (imo) to have a harder time. Still having to correct whereas the gt3 driver didn't seem as much. *shrug*

I guess like others have said wider rear tires help.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #46
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
I was just going off another video of this gt3 Vs gts. The driver of the GTS appeared (imo) to have a harder time. Still having to correct whereas the gt3 driver didn't seem as much. *shrug*

But you are still laboring under the impression that the regular M4 is some kind of oversteer monster. It simply isn't, and I've tracked mine totally stock last year both in the dry and wet.

That's the trouble with the Internet, some things are said a couple of times and they become "fact". Check out the track section to see if anyone is complaining about excessive oversteer...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #47
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Not necessarily. Do you drive like me? Do I drive like your competition? See what I am saying? Different styles benefit from sometimes almost opposite setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I hope they never do! Understeer is killer on track, takes out the fun and slows the car down.

I've just begun to enjoy the F80 platform at the track, which has the least amount of understeer of anything BMW that I tried before. I hope they continue this trend.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #48
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

I agree. I also believe this issue is due in part to the abrupt snap point of the PSS. Not bashing them, they are just not for everyone when this much TQ is at hand. I much prefer RE71R's or AD08R's for break feel and oversteer control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
But you are still laboring under the impression that the regular M4 is some kind of oversteer monster. It simply isn't, and I've tracked mine totally stock last year both in the dry and wet.

That's the trouble with the Internet, some things are said a couple of times and they become "fact". Check out the track section to see if anyone is complaining about excessive oversteer...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #49
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
If by same speed you mean 7:25 for the GT3 and 7:28 for the GTS, then yea.

And by old I mean, half way through its life cycle and been around for about 3 years (2017 model year is out and these started in 2014) whereas the GTS is brand new and still can't match it let alone a GT3 RS which in all reality is really what it's trying to compete with.
Again, what its based off is meaningless given how much work went into it. There isn't much it shares with a 418, but you should know that. Btw a current 991.2S on street tires is as fast as the GTS with 100 hp less and quite a bit less money to boot...
BMW has quoted more than once that the M4 GTS is slated to compete in the 911 GT3 market, not the RS. The pricing strategy is very reflective of that, the RS has an MSRP 30~40% higher.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #50
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
Exactly to your last point that is exactly the epitome of Porsche. You must be mixing them up though. Porsches are one of the only cars that will go all day and still take more. The only car that will overheat at the track is the BMW as they do oh so often and wash out after a couple hard braking zones. How many times has BMW won 24 hour endurance racing? That itself is a testament to what goes into the street cars.
Any Porsche will only go around a track more consistently than anything BMW. A 911 turbo will go all day using its launch control or around a track where the M4 GTS wouldn't go 10 launches without breaking and on similar tires would only be left in the dust, same with a basic Carrera or Cayman/boxster. Sorry, but the second tier 911 (a GT car) is faster than the most expensive and most track ready BMW they can make (on equal tires). And the fact that it doesn't have the downforce or the adjustability (duh it's not a track car) just adds insult to injury. That's where I'll always stand having gotten to experience ownership of many from both brands.

Done arguing since you made it obvious you know very little with that post.
That's an interresting point of view that differs from my own experience. I think it is important not to confuse ///M with standard BMWs when comparing with Porsche.

I have tracked 3 ///M cars over the last 15 years at a rate of 16-20 track days per season. Only mods were brake pads, track tires and camber plates on all 3. I never had any reliability issues with any of the 3 and never had to pull off track due to overheating.

However, quite a few of my track buddies needed to modify their (recent model) Porsches more extensively to make them track ready so they could track more reliably (not talking GT models here)...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #51
dgp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bicycle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That's an interresting point of view that differs from my own experience. I think it is important not to confuse ///M with standard BMWs when comparing with Porsche.

I have tracked 3 ///M cars over the last 15 years at a rate of 16-20 track days per season. Only mods were brake pads, track tires and camber plates on all 3. I never had any reliability issues with any of the 3 and never had to pull off track due to overheating.

However, quite a few of my track buddies needed to modify their (recent model) Porsches more extensively to make them track ready so they could track more reliably (not talking GT models here)...
Don't argue with Porsche fanboy, he was banned here a while back and came with a different screen name spewing the same rhetoric. Best to put him on ignore until he gets banned again
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #52
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Quote:

Just going off BMW comments and what I've seen (HPDE and Vids). Have you seen the video of the F series M3 Vs the Alpina D3?
Different cars of course but you'll see what I'm talking about.

The reality is that both the GTS and stock car perform well in capable hands.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #53
nizer
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
imagine what the GTS could do with centerlocks....
ROFL
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #54
surewin
///M3mber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaK01 View Post
NEVER ... Porsche is a Beetle with a race engine.
Try to go fast with the Porsche by wet conditions
Yeah a 911 sucks in the rain

Don't forget that Nick Tandy took the overall win at Road Atlanta in a 911, driving faster than even both prototype classes.

http://www.roadatlanta.com/2015-petit-le-mans-recap-2
Appreciate 0