BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) My new '21 35i

09-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
bumpy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X2, TTS

My new '21 35i

Hey all, just picked up a 2021 X2 M35i this past weekend after not finding a 2020 with color/options that I was looking for. But found this one that had all the options I was after, and ended up liking the color as well.
Storm Bay/Black Dakota
PP
M Seats
20" Wheels
Moonroof
HK Sound

Coming from a Mazda3(shown next to X2 below), didn't even know X2 existed until starting to research it last week. This is my daily but wife will drive it regularly so she wanted a SUV. Looked at the Q3, GLA, and Countryman JCW. Q3 had modern and clean interior but performance was lacking, as was GLA. Countryman drove well, but wife shot it down due to un-mini styling. This led to the X2, I liked the performance potential, she liked the styling. Test drive confirmed these presumptions.

Obviously still in honeymoon phase, but here are my impressions and thoughts so far:
-Seats are very comfortable and supportive, definitely a must upgrade
-Responsive engine and transmission
-Handles very well for SUV, steering response is great
-Strong brakes with good balanced feel
-Ride is bit softer than I prefer, but should be good for road trips
-Fuel efficiency seem almost too good to be true for 300hp 3800lb AWD vehicle with taller profile. I averaged 24mpg on the Mazda, I think X2 is bettering that.
-Sound system decent for factory, better than the Bose in the Mazda
-Nice to have actual tire pressure readings
-Having separate profiles for seats, mirrors, etc tied to keys are really convenient for dual driver setup
-Not including blind spot monitoring is mind blowingly stupid, pretty much every new car on the market has one, that's one safety feature I find useful
-No more separate fog lights, prefer the bumper on pre-facelift
-Folding mirrors not tied to locking/unlocking is annoying
-These Goodyear run-flats are noisy

The 35i is the perfect blend of practicality and performance in a smaller, lighter package, a modern hot hatch, if you will, for the SUV crazed times we’re in now.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
welcome to the club, you will really like driving the car. If this is your first BMW then you may have never heard about coding. Because there are a lot of features hidden in your car for other markets you will have the ability if you want to code some of these features on. For example my mirrors fold with lock and unlock. I turned on my rear taillights so even when only the DRLs are on they are on. BimmerCode is the software I use. If stuff like that interests you, in customizing your car search the threads in this forum on coding you will be amazed at what you can do to the car without touching the engine.

In any event I have had mine for almost 18 months and still grin every time my right foot goes down. I also agree about the Blind spot not being there. Mrs. Rounderman was not happy about that since her Honda has it it. Enjoy the car break the engine in and have fun
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #3
bumpy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the tip, will have to look into Bimmercode, I would think it's similar to VAG-COM for the VW/Audi world.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Congrats and Welcome! Love the Storm Bay!

As already mentioned, Bimmercode will remedy the mirror folding...in fact its one of the first things I coded. The lack of blind sport monitoring dumbfounded my wife and I too....but all the other benefits of the X2 outweighed the fact that her previous 2017 Lexus had came with it and the X2 didn't.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M35i

I'm jealous of that color. I was afraid they would come out with a new color in '21!
      09-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I love the grey, would have been my other stealthy choice.. instead I went with crazy Misano Blue Can you post pictures of the front with the foglights on? I saw on the concept model the foglight delete.. but I always like the looks "with" foglights of some sort. I had a few cars with integrated foglights, which seemed functional enough.. but separate foglights always seemed brighter to me, and made the front end more aggressive looking.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
bumpy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
I'm jealous of that color. I was afraid they would come out with a new color in '21!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I love the grey, would have been my other stealthy choice.. instead I went with crazy Misano Blue Can you post pictures of the front with the foglights on? I saw on the concept model the foglight delete.. but I always like the looks "with" foglights of some sort. I had a few cars with integrated foglights, which seemed functional enough.. but separate foglights always seemed brighter to me, and made the front end more aggressive looking.
Thanks, in person it has more Blue undertones in most lighting.

I was testing the fog lights yesterday, and I think they've removed the fog light feature entirely. Instead, it's labeled 'bad weather' lights and functions as cornering lights. Don't know if pre-'21 models had both fog and cornering lights, but button on dash is still there, and when you press it, light module in the inner part of the housing lights up, makes no difference in visibility, only lights up the very edge of the road if you peer down, pretty useless if you ask me.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #8
Rosa's keeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevy Bolt, X2 M35i

Sweet color!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #9
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
Thanks, in person it has more Blue undertones in most lighting.

I was testing the fog lights yesterday, and I think they've removed the fog light feature entirely. Instead, it's labeled 'bad weather' lights and functions as cornering lights. Don't know if pre-'21 models had both fog and cornering lights, but button on dash is still there, and when you press it, light module in the inner part of the housing lights up, makes no difference in visibility, only lights up the very edge of the road if you peer down, pretty useless if you ask me.

Thanks for the pic....I've been really curious to see what they did as a "replacement".

Again, great color! It caught my eye when I saw it on an MY2020 X1.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #10
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

beautiful car in a beautiful color. i didn't even notice the missing fogs until you mentioned them, but i actually prefer the absence of the fogs rather than the fogs that i have now.

is that the only change other than exterior paint colors? what a minor refresh.
      09-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Yeowch, those little "bad weather" lights are truly looking under powered. The last car I had with those integrated lights was my Mitsubishi Evo.. altho they did light up decently. I can't remember, but I think our fog lights come on for cornering lights? Something certainly comes on haha. Bimmercode definitely is like the VAG-Com but not as powerful. Once you get a dongle, you can jump off the deep end with coding, unfortunately not a lot of people are tweaking our cars, nor does it seem a lot of things are turned "off" by default that bimmercode hasn't made available now.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 12:48 AM   #12
bumpy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Was curious myself about the fogs, seems the changes for '21 are very minor, hardly anything worth mentioning.

Want to add that the exhaust on this thing is freakin awesome! Mostly in the background but will let you know it's there in Comfort mode, but in Sport mode, well, haven't wrung it out yet, but let's just say it's tuned and balanced very well, did not expect that at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #13
FierroX2M35
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

I’m surprised you find the suspension too soft. The most common complaint with the M35 was that it’s too stiff. I have the same tire/wheel setup. Was there any change between model years 20 and 21?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 11:44 PM   #14
bumpy
Enlisted Member
Rep

I test drove a '20 35i with 19" wheels, and felt very similar, so doubt there were any changes. It's just that this is my first SUV ever, coming from mostly sportier sedans and hatchbacks, so this just feels like more suspension travel, more body lean on corners, and generally cushier ride than what I'm used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierroX2M35 View Post
I’m surprised you find the suspension too soft. The most common complaint with the M35 was that itÂ’s too stiff. I have the same tire/wheel setup. Was there any change between model years 20 and 21?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #15
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
in Sport mode, well, haven't wrung it out yet, but let's just say it's tuned and balanced very well, did not expect that at all.
You're aware that some of the sound is piped-in when you push the Sport button, right? But even if you code it to not do that, the sound is really great. Somebody definitely spent some time tuning those pipes.
Appreciate 0