BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Will Pwr - '20 AW F39 X2 M Sport X

08-12-2020, 01:08 AM   #1
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Will Pwr - '20 AW F39 X2 M Sport X

Been lurking on here for a little bit while trying to decide between an X1 or X2 for the replacement of my wife's Lexus NX F Sport lease and here we are with this Alpine White X2 M Sport X. It was a pretty close match between the X1 and X2, but the two things that swayed it over were…

-That LED headlights were standard X2 and not an option: stand alone or as part of the premium package. It wasn't really about the cost per se, but there weren't many X1s on the lot right now with LED headlights, let alone with the M Sport Package and not bloated with options we didn't want or need…

-That Sport seats were standard on the X2 and not on the X1. The non-sport seats weren't bad, but sport seats have better side support and the thigh section extension adjustment.

Coming from a couple past E46M3s, F10, F80 and currently an F97, this F39 is another welcomed BMW sibling to me, but for my wife, it's her first BMW and she's enjoying its more sporty nature then her previous 4 Toyota/Lexus vehicles.

I enjoy its peppiness off the line and its nimbleness and I love the M Sport's steering wheel which reminds me of the F80. I am pleasantly surprised with the interior room and expectedly not fond of the RFT…but thats an relatively easy fix with different tires or other mods that are planned (None of my cars have even been kept stock LOL).

Well, here are a couple of pics of it while its brand new and stock….
Attached Images

'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
gorgeous car, you (or your wife) will enjoy it. Have fun drive safe, stay safe.
Appreciate 1
Will Pwr748.50
      08-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Looking good!
Appreciate 1
Will Pwr748.50
      08-12-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderman View Post
gorgeous car, you (or your wife) will enjoy it. Have fun drive safe, stay safe.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Looking good!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:42 PM   #5
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep

Garage List
A quick wash and some small accessories...

Just some random pics after a wash and installation of some minor accessories.

- Pedals to complement the dead pedal one from the M Sport Package
- Recycling of the BlackVue dash cam and the BlendMount Mirror Mount from the F80 M3 (still have to run the rear cam)
- Silver trim piece for the light switch controls to complement the other silver trim accents on the other switches/panels on the dash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Looking good! I never noticed the trim around the headlights.. now I'm going to have to check Is that a complete replacement or a thin stick on trim? It looks very flush!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looking good! I never noticed the trim around the headlights.. now I'm going to have to check Is that a complete replacement or a thin stick on trim? It looks very flush!
Thanks! I'm "not supposed" to mod it like with my primary cars, but I really like the X2 and just cant leave it stock either LOL.

In regards to the trim, its a thin stick on trim that I got from Amazon. LMK if you want me to send you the link, it was under $15. I never really noticed it until my friend pointed it out on his F80...and I remembered about it after I picked up the F39.

Next will be the M Performance black grills and probably H&R 12mm wheel spacers that will be coming off my X3MC. I'm also trying to fab up a wireless charging setup, but not in a huge rush either.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #8
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Yes please do send the link... now I'm thinking about it now that you point it out. I can see mine is a little recessed now and that the trim you put on will fill it in nicely. I have ordered the armrest cubby for our two cars.. it's just that it'll take a month an a half to get to us. I also had issues with my spacers from ECS being back ordered, it took me a while to get those too. I put 10mm up front and 15mm in the back. It fills it in a little nicer, but certainly subtle.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #9
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes please do send the link... now I'm thinking about it now that you point it out. I can see mine is a little recessed now and that the trim you put on will fill it in nicely. I have ordered the armrest cubby for our two cars.. it's just that it'll take a month an a half to get to us. I also had issues with my spacers from ECS being back ordered, it took me a while to get those too. I put 10mm up front and 15mm in the back. It fills it in a little nicer, but certainly subtle.
Here you go.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which exact cubby did you order? Yeah, the long shipping time does suck!

Do you have any pics with your spacers on? I'm curious where the 10mm and 15mm sit. I'm arbitrarily going with the 12mm because I already have them and wanted to reuse and not buy another set LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #10
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Great Idea.. throw those in the back for now.. you could probably put them in front later depending on how aggressive you would like! I'll message you and maybe send you something from my phone when I get out of work.

I just ended up ordering that trim too... thanks!

The cubby is from the same name too.. I got one in plain leather for the wife.. and I just had to get the red stripe because racecar.. lol. I considered all black too, but I just couldn't resist.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08169XJ..._8xcpFb609MQ55

Last edited by rice_rocket88; 08-18-2020 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Great Idea.. throw those in the back for now.. you could probably put them in front later depending on how aggressive you would like! I'll message you and maybe send you something from my phone when I get out of work.

I just ended up ordering that trim too... thanks!

The cubby is from the same name too.. I got one in plain leather for the wife.. and I just had to get the red stripe because racecar.. lol. I considered all black too, but I just couldn't resist.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08169XJ..._8xcpFb609MQ55
Thanks...got your PM

No problem on the trim...small but a nice detail item.

LOL, yeah, I was considering between the plain black leather or the one with the red trim too...but I'm still debating between the cubby or a tray...well, its really up to my wife as she primarily drives the X2.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #12
thecrofter
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 sDrive 2.0i MSport

Thumbs up Blendmount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Pwr View Post
Just some random pics after a wash and installation of some minor accessories.

- Recycling of the BlackVue dash cam and the BlendMount Mirror Mount from the F80 M3 (still have to run the rear cam)
Looking good from here over the pond. Question to you. What is the part number of that Blendmount? I have a Blackvue 650GW and the Blendmount website lists BMW suitable units for LHD vehicles only. Given it's fitted around the mirror stalk in the centre of the screen (looks exactly the same as mine from your photos), I can't for the life of me work out why it wouldn't suit a RHD vehicle. OK the leads would be on the driver's side but I'd prefer that if I could have it the direct centre line of the windscreen. I'd welcome your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 01:14 AM   #13
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrofter View Post
Looking good from here over the pond. Question to you. What is the part number of that Blendmount? I have a Blackvue 650GW and the Blendmount website lists BMW suitable units for LHD vehicles only. Given it's fitted around the mirror stalk in the centre of the screen (looks exactly the same as mine from your photos), I can't for the life of me work out why it wouldn't suit a RHD vehicle. OK the leads would be on the driver's side but I'd prefer that if I could have it the direct centre line of the windscreen. I'd welcome your thoughts.
Thanks! Hope all is well over there!

The part number of the kit that I have is BBV-2017. Im using that one as thats matches the mirror mount i have between the 3 options they have. https://blendmount.com/results/?Make...R450+%2f+DR430

I'm not sure if the other designs would still work, but more on that further below....

I thought about it and looked at it a bit more and I believe that it wont work in RHD vehicles not because of the stalk, but for the tilting of the mirror. For a LHD, the clamp body being on the right side of the stalk doesnt interfere with the backside of the mirror when tilted leftward. However with the clamp body being not the right side of the stalk, it could prevent the mirror from tilt toward the driver because the back side of the mirror would hit the clamp.

With that being said, in theory if you could flip the clamp 180' horizontally, it would alleviate that issue...however, if you look at how the bottom if the clamp mounts to the rest of the assembly, it might not be as easy as it sounds...at least with the BBV-2017. Though maybe with the other 2 versions... Ill look at it a bit more in the next few days and see if I can offer any more additional options for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 03:32 AM   #14
thecrofter
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 sDrive 2.0i MSport

Thank you very much for the insight. I confess I hadn’t considered the clamp affecting the mirror angle but as you say it may be reversible. It’s a very expensive piece of kit to purchase if it proves incompatible with a RHD car. I’d be extremely grateful if you could offer any more options. Hope your wife (and you of course!) are enjoying the X2.
Regards from the UK.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:09 AM   #15
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Thank you very much for the insight. I confess I hadn’t considered the clamp affecting the mirror angle but as you say it may be reversible. It’s a very expensive piece of kit to purchase if it proves incompatible with a RHD car. I’d be extremely grateful if you could offer any more options. Hope your wife (and you of course!) are enjoying the X2.
Regards from the UK.
Perhaps send an email to the company?
https://blendmount.com/pages/about-us/contact-us.html
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #16
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Regards from the UK.
I completely know what you mean about the cost and risk....even with no risk on my end, I still think its an expensive piece, but its design, engineering and mounting solution is worth it.

Ill look into it a bit over the weekend.

Thanks and we are definitely enjoying the X2. She's agrees its more fun and sportier than her Lexus NX F Sport... Only one drawback its that I'm modding it a bit, where as her previous cars I didn't even bother touching haha. (dash cams don't really count though LOL - thats a safety item )
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #17
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep

Garage List
M Performance Black Kidney Grills

Another relatively minor trim part, but definitely one that makes a visual impact.

*some added install/comparison pics too...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-02-2020, 01:07 AM   #18
jobosapien
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Pwr View Post
Another relatively minor trim part, but definitely one that makes a visual impact.

*some added install/comparison pics too...
The black grilles look great! Been thinking of swapping mine out too.

Do you have any specific instructions? I've seen a few YouTube videos for other BMW models but none for the X2 specifically.

Did you have to remove the torq screws above and move the lights to get to the tabs? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:24 AM   #19
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobosapien View Post
The black grilles look great! Been thinking of swapping mine out too.

Do you have any specific instructions? I've seen a few YouTube videos for other BMW models but none for the X2 specifically.

Did you have to remove the torq screws above and move the lights to get to the tabs? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Yes, you will need to address the torx screws to gain access, there are 4 under the center rubber seal and I also removed the one that connects the bumper tab to the head light on both sides. From my experience, without doing those you won’t have enough room or access. I also slide the bumper tabs out of their slots to give more room to get your handles or small screwdriver, panel/trim tools or picks for the tabs.

In regards to the tabs, there are 9 per grill that hold it to the bumper...reference the pic with no grills... 3 at the top, 3 at the bottom, 2 at the outer edge and 1 on the inner edge. The top 3, 1 from the inner edge and the top 1 of the 2 on the outer edge are easy.

The bottom 1 of the outer was the tricky, sticking point. I couldn’t get easy access to release that tab. At this point, I lined the edges of painted bumper and the grill with painters tape as protection and used a bit of forces to pull on the area of that specific tab. Maybe it was luck, but both of these tabs popped out and there was no damage. Once that bottom outer tab comes out for both grills, access to the tabs on the bottom that remained greatly improved.

I know that the way I went about with that one specific is a bit unorthodox and not something I would state you should do without caution, but it worked for me for this scenario.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other specific questions....good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:47 PM   #20
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep

Garage List
Again just something aesthetic and something to match the visual theme of my X3M

Fitment and finish is just like OEM and the CF weave is uniform. They are direct replacements and use OEM caps as a base. I assume the M Performance ones for the F39 are made of dry carbon like they are for the other applications, but I just couldn't justify the $700 cost for them. These might not be for everyone, but for just over a $100, they serve their purpose well.

Install is a breeze and I prefer doing it the service manual way of removing the mirror glass to access the 3 release taps so that it pops off. With a plastic pry tool and some painters tape, it was done in 15mins.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:52 PM   #21
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep

Garage List
Installed pics...
Attached Images