BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Extended Warranty Pro-Rated Refund?

12-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #23
trnguyen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

The sound was not annoying for me, but quieter I find it more comfortable on a drive longer than 30 min. Also, I have a 5 years old kid seating in the back and my spouse sometimes complain that it gives her a headache. If BMW can make the settings available in iDrive menu, it would be better. I think some models do have this feature.

My spouse working at the hospital in the ICU. Situation is not that bad here. It's more that the government here doesn't handle the health worker correctly, so they don't attract enough staff. Many of them are doing overtime to cover the gap, but they are tired and more will be burned out soon.

Where I live, Christmas is cancelled. No get together at all. It sucks. It would definitely help for the mental break for many. I hope the vaccination will be good and efficient. My only fear is the virus mutates and they will have to start over again... like the flu vaccin every year.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #24
trnguyen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I just went to the bimmerlink site and no indication that it can do anything like that... If you find out please let me know!
I don't recall if I read it somewhere, surely. But I saw it in the Bimmerlink app.

I have Bimmerlink installed on my phone to check the battery level sometimes. I haven't purchased the full version yet.

So just connected Bimmerlink and took some screenshots. I didn't go until the end of it so didn't click on the last Activate. Perhaps, you can check further when you will be doing the rear brakes. The battery check doesn't require the full version. If we are lucky, the brake service mode could be the same.

Name:  Screenshot_2020-12-07-11-08-27-170_io.sgsoftware.bimmerlink.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  51.4 KBName:  Screenshot_2020-12-07-11-08-43-543_io.sgsoftware.bimmerlink.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  65.5 KBName:  Screenshot_2020-12-07-11-09-15-105_io.sgsoftware.bimmerlink.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  77.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #25
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

so speaking of battery life and checking the health of the battery, because my car is being driven so sparingly, i purchased a battery tender/maintainer and when i first hooked it up about a week ago the battery was reading at 17% which was astounding because i drive the car once a week for about forty minutes, but apparently that's not enough, so the car is now hooked up to the battery maintainer all the time in the garage.
      12-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #26
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jordi View Post
so speaking of battery life and checking the health of the battery, because my car is being driven so sparingly, i purchased a battery tender/maintainer and when i first hooked it up about a week ago the battery was reading at 17% which was astounding because i drive the car once a week for about forty minutes, but apparently that's not enough, so the car is now hooked up to the battery maintainer all the time in the garage.
You have just joined the frozen European crowd who all have what we call a trickle charger. When I went away to sunnier climates (Dominican Republic) for 2 months at a time my X3 was hooked up to a CTEK charger for the whole time.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:18 PM   #27
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
You have just joined the frozen European crowd who all have what we call a trickle charger. When I went away to sunnier climates (Dominican Republic) for 2 months at a time my X3 was hooked up to a CTEK charger for the whole time.
yep, i've joined the northern latitude crowd who store their cars over the winter.
      12-07-2020, 06:34 PM   #28
trnguyen
Private First Class
Rep

Lol. I am jealous of your California winter.

I have to charge the car battery every month to top it up during the winter because I don't drive enough too. It's not good to have a low battery when it's too cold. Before I started to charge the battery, I had to replace the battery max 4 years. We have an AGM battery which should help, but I am used to charge it anyway.

Xcelir had an interesting project to put a permanent plug for a charge. I'll probably check about it next summer. I have to open the hood every time and I don't have a garage too.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #29
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnguyen View Post
Lol. I am jealous of your California winter.

I have to charge the car battery every month to top it up during the winter because I don't drive enough too. It's not good to have a low battery when it's too cold. Before I started to charge the battery, I had to replace the battery max 4 years. We have an AGM battery which should help, but I am used to charge it anyway.

Xcelir had an interesting project to put a permanent plug for a charge. I'll probably check about it next summer. I have to open the hood every time and I don't have a garage too.
actually, people often think that it doesn't get cold or snow in parts of southern california in the winter and while the latter is true for the most part unless you live in the mountains, it does get pretty damn cold in many parts of southern california, particularly the valleys, where it can routinely reach into the low 20s (F*). the record low was set not too long ago in my city when it dipped to 14*F.
      12-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #30
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

I charge daily monthly and yearly.

The amount I drive, when I go to replug from 100 previous charged I am about 50. Within a half hour on Optima Charger gets it back to 100 constant.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #31
trnguyen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post

The amount I drive, when I go to replug from 100 previous charged I am about 50. Within a half hour on Optima Charger gets it back to 100 constant.
I believe that you are still opening the hood every time to charge it.
Daily seems to be a bit a hassle, no?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #32
trnguyen
Private First Class
Rep

Davy Jordi - Have you looked if you can flash the gearbox?
I read that people do it on other models. I don't know about the X2 then I just find this when searching about a pedal tuner:
"DTUK® TCU+ GEARBOX FLASH​"
https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk...25kw-1998-ccm/

Or perhaps, there are some BMW "expert" or shop in your area like mine who offers the TCU flashing.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #33
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post

I believe that you are still opening the hood every time to charge it.
Daily seems to be a bit a hassle, no?
Nope, not when I drive only Saturdays or the rare occasion daily. My garage setup is routine.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #34
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

[QUOTE=trnguyen;26989202]I don't recall if I read it somewhere, surely. But I saw it in the Bimmerlink app.

I have Bimmerlink installed on my phone to check the battery level sometimes. I haven't purchased the full version yet.

So just connected Bimmerlink and took some screenshots. I didn't go until the end of it so didn't click on the last Activate. Perhaps, you can check further when you will be doing the rear brakes. The battery check doesn't require the full version. If we are lucky, the brake service mode could be the same.

Very cool..I didn't see that on the site. I'll download it and maybe in a couple months I'll get to it and let you guys know!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #35
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Davy Jordi - Have you looked if you can flash the gearbox?
I read that people do it on other models. I don't know about the X2 then I just find this when searching about a pedal tuner:
"DTUK® TCU+ GEARBOX FLASH​"
https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk...25kw-1998-ccm/

Or perhaps, there are some BMW "expert" or shop in your area like mine who offers the TCU flashing.
i haven't looked, but i don't want a flash tune because if something goes wrong, then i'd have to flash back to stock and hope that no one notices or checks how many times the ecu or tcu has been reflashed and a bmw dealership will go out of their way to confirm when and how many times authorized flashes have been performed. at least that's how it was with lexus - this is my first bmw and lexuses are much more reliable so i don't want to risk it.
      12-09-2020, 05:56 AM   #36
connerry330i
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' 330i XDrive

Quote:
i haven't looked, but i don't want a flash tune because if something goes wrong, then i'd have to flash back to stock and hope that no one notices or checks how many times the ecu or tcu has been reflashed and a bmw dealership will go out of their way to confirm when and how many times authorized flashes have been performed. at least that's how it was with lexus - this is my first bmw and lexuses are much more reliable so i don't want to risk it.
I wouldn't say that, exactly. I had a Dinan Stage 2 tune and an Alpina TCU flash on my E84 35i and nobody at my SD dealer, BMW San Diego cared. On my F30 340i I had Dinan Shockware suspension flash and not only did they not care, they reflashed the tune no charge when they did a factory recall flash, even though I got the tune from All German Auto in Escondido (great shop, by the way).

It probably depends on who you go with. Many BMW dealers also sell Dinan products/tunes, so they may be more forgiving than having BM3 or Mission Performance. (Of course, that's if this engine/tranny ever gets a flash tune, but I digress...)

I know BMW San Diego is mod-friendly, especially if you're up front about it. If Chris Levy is still there, that dude's a champion SA.
      12-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #37
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by connerry340i View Post
I wouldn't say that, exactly. I had a Dinan Stage 2 tune and an Alpina TCU flash on my E84 35i and nobody at my SD dealer, BMW San Diego cared. On my F30 340i I had Dinan Shockware suspension flash and not only did they not care, they reflashed the tune no charge when they did a factory recall flash, even though I got the tune from All German Auto in Escondido (great shop, by the way).

It probably depends on who you go with. Many BMW dealers also sell Dinan products/tunes, so they may be more forgiving than having BM3 or Mission Performance. (Of course, that's if this engine/tranny ever gets a flash tune, but I digress...)

I know BMW San Diego is mod-friendly, especially if you're up front about it. If Chris Levy is still there, that dude's a champion SA.
that's definitely good to know.

i know that tuning is limited for our specific engine (and transmission) variants, so dinan isn't the dinan of yesteryear.

i have a jb4 box attached to my car and i service my car at european autowerks here in temecula (which is also a great shop) because i don't want to deal with the hassle of unplugging and plugging the box back in every time i have to take the car to bmw of murrieta which is not mod-friendly at at all. sucks, but i'd rather leave the tuning box on and not risk damaging the connectors than continually remove and install (i've already broken one of the clips).
      12-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #38
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

So far I have not seen any TCU tunes out for the b48 and it's AISIN transmission. Although that would be exciting and could potentially change these little issues.. I feel already now that I'm using the pedal tuner in combination with the sport mode and don't really have much issues. Since Davy already has all the equipment, then it probably would be a moot point to get any TCU flashing done at this point.
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #39
connerry330i
Private
Rep

Quote:
that's definitely good to know.

i know that tuning is limited for our specific engine (and transmission) variants, so dinan isn't the dinan of yesteryear.

i have a jb4 box attached to my car and i service my car at european autowerks here in temecula (which is also a great shop) because i don't want to deal with the hassle of unplugging and plugging the box back in every time i have to take the car to bmw of murrieta which is not mod-friendly at at all. sucks, but i'd rather leave the tuning box on and not risk damaging the connectors than continually remove and install (i've already broken one of the clips).
Autowerks is great. I've heard BMW Murrieta wasn't mod friendly.

I'm waiting for my next service and then gonna get a Jb4...tired of waiting on a flash tune that doesn't seem forthcoming.
      12-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #40
connerry330i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
So far I have not seen any TCU tunes out for the b48 and it's AISIN transmission. Although that would be exciting and could potentially change these little issues.. I feel already now that I'm using the pedal tuner in combination with the sport mode and don't really have much issues. Since Davy already has all the equipment, then it probably would be a moot point to get any TCU flashing done at this point.
Agreed...I've held out long enough; will probably do either JB4 or Racechip box/pedal tuner in the New Year.
      12-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #41
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by connerry340i View Post
Agreed...I've held out long enough; will probably do either JB4 or Racechip box/pedal tuner in the New Year.
yeah, get the jb4 - it's not perfect, but you definitely won't be disappointed!
      12-10-2020, 05:18 AM   #42
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I was another that had asd off and when bmw wiped my settings I never turned it back off. I really need to get off my ass and have the custom exhaust built that I want. Then I won’t need it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #43
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

that's a big risk. i wouldn't make that move and potentially risk having my car flagged and the warranty voided.

that's why i took the car to an indie bmw shop here and will continue to service the car there, only taking the car to the dealership for warranty work if necessary. preservation of the warranty key for me with a bmw.
      12-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #44
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

It is all about relationships and mod friendly dealers. Tons of info on these forums about this. Now if there were warranty work, that is a different story.
Appreciate 0