BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Burger Tuning JB4 install on B48 X2 m35i

05-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Burger Tuning JB4 install on B48 X2 m35i

Okay so we've been talking about it.. nobody has done it, I decided to give this a whirl. I'm going to chop these posts up a bunch to insert pictures. I just realized now I forgot to snap a picture or two, but right now I'm not going to take it apart to fix the post! Thanks to Terry Burger who is helping me out and hopefully we'll get some info out of the logs!.

Okay so open up the hood, what do we see. Sorry for the dirty engine bay, 8K miles on the car and one New England winter! This is a picture with the engine cover removed, it's a simple pull off cover but you DO NOT have to remove it.

You do have to remove the air intake scoop with two 10mm bolts. There is also a clip that you push in when you're done unfastening so you can slide the scoop upwards. I'll circle the clip in the next part.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 09:05 PM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Yellow part is where the clip to slide the air scoops off.

Next in red are your Map and Tmap Sensors that are really a pain to get open. Go read some things about taking it off.. it was VERY hard to get to the one on the right because I couldn't get my hand in there. If you look at the wires that are supplied by the JB4. What you do is slide the grey piece out. Yes it's clipped in there, but there's no way to cheat.. slide the piece out!! Once it moves just a little bit, then you pinch it down/together and wiggle the plug off. Try on the left first.. the one on the right was nearly impossible for me. I ended up using a pick and finally running out of patience so I pried it really hard and it went flying. No idea where it is inside the engine bay..

The wires tuck in nicely, and it looks like the best way is to route this under/beside the air box. You can use a 10mm socket to loosen the bolt and slide the wire under it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #3
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Okay now to put that box by the strut covering the battery. It certainly isn't as easy as the X1, but still not all that hard. You need two pop rivets, just take a screw driver or trim removal tool and pry out the middle, pop it out. There is one on each side. Pull up on the weather stripping and take it all off. Now remove the cowl by pulling it up then out towards you. Take a note it is wedged in between/under the windshield wiper bezel, so make sure it is popped in that way when you put it all together.
Attached Images

Last edited by rice_rocket88; 05-18-2020 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #4
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Okay now take an 8mm and remove the battery/cover so you can route the wires all the way into the battery compartment. This is where I spaced out and thought I had pictures. Be careful not to go across the battery terminals.. but there is a tight fit to wedge it between the wires and the strut bar that goes diagonal. It looks pretty snug and I don't think it'll go anywhere.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #5
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

I tried to get better pictures, but couldn't seem to snap the right picture. No need to remove a thing. The grommet that you can push through accesses RIGHT above the OBDII plug. There's plenty of room to get down there to plug in the OBDII controller. I also have the Data USB cable, and there is also enough room to route it all there. You can even thread it through the steering column and over to the passenger seat to datalog. I will eventually just wrap it all up, and tuck it back down. This is really easy and a short route compared to say.. the N54 JB4 where it was just not easy to route through or the cable was pretty far away.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #6
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

One Blank to edit for the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:46 AM   #7
Rosa's keeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevy Bolt, X2 M35i

Waiting for driving impressions...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 06:24 AM   #8
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Thanks for sharing so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #9
TheBigP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Brave man. Thanks for taking one for the team. I hate piggybacks, but if they can do something about our hesitation issue I'm there in a heartbeat. This car is plenty fast for me as it is...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #10
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

I have used the JB4 piggyback on a variety of my cars.. as well as friends cars and I do like them for what they do. Keeping factory failsafes, steering wheel controled interfaces, and not flashing the DME/ECU I do like. I have to admit, however, that I haven't been in an MHD flashed car to compare back to back.
Either way, it is not unlocked, so ECU flashing isn't available.

I'm hoping for a little bit smoother of a ride, as well as a little added HP. So far I have not experienced the hesitation issues, although I haven't purposely tried to reproduce it. I also did not shut off my pedal tuner yet to see if it helps. Still sending logs back and forth to Terry. The car boosts high and kicks in the failsafe a lot. I also don't have the time nor straight-aways to keep on editing and driving around
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #11
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I’m thinking the e85 tuning will be a great thing considering how much boost we have.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #12
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

E85 requires higher flow fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #13
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
Should be able to do 30% or so without
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:26 PM   #14
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Agreed with billnchristy on the fuel, most cars can do a little E85 without the extra fuel pump, but not a high mix. There isn't enough e85 around me to be worth my time to investigate since mine's a daily and I put on a good 50 miles or so a commute.

So far the car is not liking much added boost. We are up to around 2.5psi peak over stock and my butt dyno isn't sure I can feel it yet. I'm throwing on my custom made intake and giving it a few days. Terry mentioned the EWG is looking a little wonky on the duty cycle so he mentioned getting the EWG control plug. I just ordered it up to give it a whirl... but it'll give me a little time to zip around with the intake to see if/how that changes things. Once things get dialed in all together, then I'll see about a dyno appointment to compare completely stock to the new setup.

On another side note, I turned off the Pedal Tuner and did NOT like the factory pedal sensitivity. Whether it improved from stock or not it's still not good enough. What best I can describe the feeling is that when I tap on the gas pedal lightly with my foot nothing happens. I am running on the Orange setting so that when my foot taps the pedal the rpm's go up like a drive by wire. Green is almost good enough, and I'm sure if I tweaked the fine settings I could get it close to the orange setting at zero.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:41 AM   #15
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #16
c-m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Please dyno it and get dragy numbers. Interested to see those results! Are you working closely with Burger himself?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #17
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Hey guys, sorry work has been pretty busy and life with kids.. fun fun. Anyways, no significant updates on the car. I added back my own custom open air intake cone and no noticeable difference in the logging of the car. However, I believe that the car crackles and pops more which is .. cool. It could just be the way I'm driving it, if I leave it in comfort or even regular sport mode and drive it nicely there's no big difference. In sport "plus" ie lever to the left... upon any decel/gear shift it will crackle. It definitely took more effort with the stock box to make noises. Intake Air temp doesn't seem to be any noticeably higher, it climbs when at a stop, but once going on the road it's fine (as expected) I did not have the time nor effort to go driving around logging the IAT and swapping back to the stock box.

So the car sits at approx 2.5psi over stock which I can't really notice it being drastically faster. It's still fun either way. I got the EWG plug, but once I figured out where that darned thing is, I got stuck. So the wastegate and turbo combo looks to be literally sandwiched between the engine and the glove box. I took apart a ton of pieces and then got stuck. It seems to be that the stock air intake snorkel needs to come off. This would be a nice piece to replace with a metal intake for nice sound.. there seems to be a huuuge dampener at the top of the engine. This is fastened by BMW's famous C clip pieces. Problem is, there's like no room to reach or pull it off. I stopped there. I might take more pieces apart in the future, but the effort just wasn't in me.

Terry is very responsive once I got a hold of him. He offered pretty much to take all the logs and tweak things as I ran and logged the car. He was lightning fast, and a few times I even got to do some map editing after I was done getting out of the grocery store Terry said that it looks like the wastegate control isn't very good, possibly the EWG plug could help him drive more boost out of the car, but otherwise it might be best left as is and enjoy. I plan to one day push a little further for fun.

If I can find the time or a dyno day I'll get the car on, it's super easy to switch maps now that everything is saved and flashed. Sorry I'm sure that the dyno numbers would be the absolute best verdict on the value of it all.

One thing to note: If the car's internal oil temp hasn't hit high enough.. can't remember what it was.. 121F? Then if you romp on it, the car will jump into failsafe mode. JB4 does not switch back to custom map until after you stop and restart the car. A bunch of times (and overboost) it would do this and I did feel the car get slower, but surprisingly not that much slower. Warm up the car nicely
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #18
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-m View Post
Please dyno it and get dragy numbers. Interested to see those results! Are you working closely with Burger himself?
I don't have a dragy module myself.. but if I get a hold of one it would be easy enough to run them back to back!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 05:13 AM   #19
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
The turbo replacement recall was scheduled for 12 hours. I can understand why now.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 06:37 AM   #20
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Thank you for all the updates. Definitely a science experiment.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #21
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-m View Post
I don't have a dragy module myself.. but if I get a hold of one it would be easy enough to run them back to back!
Any updates on this?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #22
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Sorry, nobody I know has a dragy module.. and I'm back to work, so too busy to find a dyno to do some pulls back to back.
Appreciate 0