BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Service due

01-30-2021, 07:06 AM   #1
DorsetBimmer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X1 sDrive 20i M Sport

Service due

Hi all
My BMW X1 was first registered 30 May 2019, but the service due indicator shows service due in March of this year. Due to Covid-19 restriction I have only done 4,000 miles.
My question is: does the 2-year clock start ticking from the vehicle manufactured date or the first registration date?
Many thanks.
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsetBimmer View Post
Hi all
My BMW X1 was first registered 30 May 2019, but the service due indicator shows service due in March of this year. Due to Covid-19 restriction I have only done 4,000 miles.
My question is: does the 2-year clock start ticking from the vehicle manufactured date or the first registration date?
Many thanks.
Hi
Good luck finding definitive answers on servicing requirement. What I found out is the X1 (as with most modern BMW’s ) has an inbuilt service management system, this is a smart system which tracks not just mileage but also driving style, speeds etc and so intervals will vary for same car. The system also uses time limits if a service, e.g oil, brake fluid change, are not triggered by mileage/use/abuse. My understanding is the time limits goes from when the dealer activates the Head Unit, ready for delivery.

In my F48/X1 which was an Xdrive 2.0d, the first service demand did not come up until about 20 months from this point. In my current X3 which also has a similar engine (but MHT), the car was pre-registered, had done 5 miles but the HU was not activated until the day I collected it. I notice some iDrive/connected drive systems are using date it was first registered (like nav map updates) and warranty period but all the rest are using HU activation date (including free trial periods) and it appears also the service management system.

Finally, when you say, service indicator, from my experience this is not necessarily a full blown service. If you look in the iDrive it will tell you what needs a service, could be just brakes, or oil etc.

Anyhow, hope this helps.
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Mine is the same. Bought Sept. 2019 now says service due July 2021. Only done 4500mls.
      01-30-2021, 12:46 PM   #4
DorsetBimmer
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for reply MJE60.

I take it I have to get the car serviced two months early, otherwise I invalidate the warranty?

I got this message from BMW Services: The message on your dashboard is to indicate when the next service is due which is in 16,000 miles or by the date March 2021 – this doesn’t depend on the vehicle’s registered date therefore the warning message is correct.

Beagler: I feel your pain.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      01-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for reply MJE60.

I take it I have to get the car serviced two months early, otherwise I invalidate the warranty?

I got this message from BMW Services: The message on your dashboard is to indicate when the next service is due which is in 16,000 miles or by the date March 2021 – this doesn’t depend on the vehicle’s registered date therefore the warning message is correct.

Beagler: I feel your pain.
My dealership actually contacted me about a month after message appeared on iDrive (but a few weeks before indicated due date), I booked the service with them which was about three weeks after end of the indicated month and they were happy.

I think with such low mileage, being a month over the service “time” due date poses little warranty risk. BMW would really have to prove that a car, with ultra low mileage, sitting idle for an extra month of so caused damages. There is no chance. If however you ran the car 2,000 miles over a “mileage” service schedule, they would probably have a case. I would wait until last week in March and then make a booking for month to 6 weeks ahead, . Only exception might be if service message is for brake system (as hydraulic fluid can perish even when car is idle, especially in wet weather as it is hygroscopic))

I don’t know where you are based but now I always take my car to Snows in Portsmouth, they are fantastic whereas Marshall’s have let me down on numerous occasions.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 02:30 PM   #6
DorsetBimmer
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the heads up re. Snows. As a matter of interest, do you supply your own oil when getting your car serviced? Dealer supplied oil is a tad on the dear side!
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 03:17 PM   #7
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up re. Snows. As a matter of interest, do you supply your own oil when getting your car serviced? Dealer supplied oil is a tad on the dear side!
No, the service intervals are so large, I didn’t think about it, I had one oil change in the 3 years of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:24 PM   #8
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Hi all
Many thanks.
I finally found answers and you were correct. Engine oil service is 2 years from date of production or every 15,000 miles, brake fluid 3 years from date of production or if triggered by smart service management system. With Engine oil service there is also air/fuel/cabin filter changes. However, hard use can trigger earlier service intervals.
With lockdown, homeworking etc approaching a year, many cars have seen lower mileage so quite possible only getting triggered by time limits which can appear strange Ihence my 20 months). My earlier comments about H/U activation do affect connected drive services but are irrelevant with regard to general car servicing.
You can find your car exact production date, it is on a small label on the door pillar well below the tyre pressure sticker.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:34 PM   #9
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
Mine is the same. Bought Sept. 2019 now says service due July 2021. Only done 4500mls.
Found answer, your car was built in July 2019, first oil service 15,000 miles or 2 years from production date. You will get brake fluid service request in July 2022, as this is 3 years from production date unless you trigger the service management system by playing F! Driver
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      01-31-2021, 10:15 AM   #10
DorsetBimmer
United Kingdom
Rep

So, the initial two-year service isn't two years at all. Am I right in thinking then that if you bought a brand-new car with zero miles on the clock, from a dealer on March 1st, and it had been on their forecourt for six months, the first service would be in 18 months time?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 10:37 AM   #11
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
So, the initial two-year service isn't two years at all. Am I right in thinking then that if you bought a brand-new car with zero miles on the clock, from a dealer on March 1st, and it had been on their forecourt for six months, the first service would be in 18 months time?
Yes, correct (unless mileage mileage reaches 15,000 before then) and given some stock could be even older than 6 months it could be a nasty shock. The 2 year service runs from date of manufacture not delivery/first registration. Anyone getting into their brand new BMW can call up service status on BMW connected/iDrive and see when first service is due, it will by default, be 2 years from manufacture date (possibly not for full EV’s as the 2 years first service in conventional cars is triggered by first oil change requirement - 2 years)

Last edited by MJE60; 01-31-2021 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 11:33 AM   #12
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

I just jumped into my car (2020 LCI X1 xDrive 2.0i M Sport) and checked and the service is due 18000 miles and 09/2022. The car build date is 8th September 2020 and I picked it up on 30th September 2020.

Edited for typing error with the date. Changed to 09/22
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 02-04-2021 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: Typing error for date
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:04 PM   #13
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
I just jumped into my car (2020 LCI X1 xDrive 2.0i M Sport) and checked and the service is due 18000 miles and 09/2020. The car build date is 8th September 2020 and I picked it up on 30th September 2020.
I expect the service is due 18,000 miles and 09/2022?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:11 PM   #14
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
I expect the service is due 18,000 miles and 09/2022?
Yes...thanks for pointing the date error. It is a typo.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #15
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
In case of low mileage, I make sure to change it once a year.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #16
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

I’m due for first service, just under 9k miles.
I thought it was good til 10k. I also purchased the maintenance package and extended warranty. Should I have anything else done in terms of service/maintenance besides engine oil? Is it included in maintenance package?
2020 x1 xDrive : Black Sapphire Metallic : Premium Package : Fine Wood Fineline Trim : Sport Seats : Wireless Charging : Trailer Hitch : WeatherTech Floor Lining, Cargo Mat, Bumper XL : Complete Blackout, Full Chrome Delete : BavSound Stage One Speaker & Ghost Subwoofer Upgrade : EuroStart Remote Engine Start : Heko Rain Guards
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:16 PM   #17
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredro View Post
I’m due for first service, just under 9k miles.
I thought it was good til 10k. I also purchased the maintenance package and extended warranty. Should I have anything else done in terms of service/maintenance besides engine oil? Is it included in maintenance package?
At 10k miles, not much besides an oil change. The typical multi-point inspection (e.g., check all fluid levels, tire wear, remaining brake pad life, etc.) should be done. I recommend you ask the tech to take a good look at your brake pad life. Had to replace front (30k) and rear (25k) pads early on compared to other cars I've owned. I would think there's paperwork detailing what's covered in your maintenance package.

One item that dealers typically upsell on, but may not for you since you've already pre-paid for a package, is the air filter for the engine and cabin. My cabin air filter was pretty dirty by 10k miles. Also, changing it isn't a quick 1-minute or less job as in many other vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #18
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

Made appointment for next tuesday, I'll inquire then.

Thanks
2020 x1 xDrive : Black Sapphire Metallic : Premium Package : Fine Wood Fineline Trim : Sport Seats : Wireless Charging : Trailer Hitch : WeatherTech Floor Lining, Cargo Mat, Bumper XL : Complete Blackout, Full Chrome Delete : BavSound Stage One Speaker & Ghost Subwoofer Upgrade : EuroStart Remote Engine Start : Heko Rain Guards
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 03:34 AM   #19
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

Unlike every other car manufacturer I have had ever, I have found it impossible to find out from BMW what needs servicing when. Our Audi Q3 for example (replaced by the X1) needed its DSG gearbox oil replacing at something like 5 years. All those things were listed in a service schedule book so if by then you were using a non-franchised dealer for service you knew exactly what to ask them to do. With BMW it appears you get nothing except "the car will tell you". Can anyone confirm if it does please?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 08:58 AM   #20
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
Unlike every other car manufacturer I have had ever, I have found it impossible to find out from BMW what needs servicing when. Our Audi Q3 for example (replaced by the X1) needed its DSG gearbox oil replacing at something like 5 years. All those things were listed in a service schedule book so if by then you were using a non-franchised dealer for service you knew exactly what to ask them to do. With BMW it appears you get nothing except "the car will tell you". Can anyone confirm if it does please?
If you do a VIN code Check it will tell you oil change service requirement (e.g 18,000 miles or 24 months) from build date , for brake fluid it is 3 years. Full detailed inspection at 4 years. For the rest you are correct, it is difficult to find detailed service schedules
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 08:37 AM   #21
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
Having owned a couple of Q3s, I agree with what you say, but it is actually quite easy and straightforward to see the service requirements and info about any completed service(s) in your X1 by following these steps:

1. With the ignition turned ON, press the 'Menu' button in your centre console.
2. On the iDrive screen, go to 'My Vehicle' and touch (or select via iDrive main button) the heading (highlighted in red) on the screen.
3. Scroll down and select 'Vehicle Status..
4. On the next screen scroll down to 'Service Requirements' and touch or use the iDrive controller again.

By following this process you should see a full list of these 'Service Requirements' and by selecting each one individually and touching the screen, or scrolling down and pressing the iDrive main button, you will see the dates or mileage indications for each. The top item on the list is 'Service History' and by going into that one you should be able to pull up a list of completed services, including the pre-delivery inspection record.
So far as I can see, you need to have the ignition turned on through the process. It also works with the engine running.
Appreciate 3
MJE60678.00
wcs2229170.50
      02-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #22
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
Having owned a couple of Q3s, I agree with what you say, but it is actually quite easy and straightforward to see the service requirements and info about any completed service(s) in your X1 by following these steps:

1. With the ignition turned ON, press the 'Menu' button in your centre console.
2. On the iDrive screen, go to 'My Vehicle' and touch (or select via iDrive main button) the heading (highlighted in red) on the screen.
3. Scroll down and select 'Vehicle Status..
4. On the next screen scroll down to 'Service Requirements' and touch or use the iDrive controller again.

By following this process you should see a full list of these 'Service Requirements' and by selecting each one individually and touching the screen, or scrolling down and pressing the iDrive main button, you will see the dates or mileage indications for each. The top item on the list is 'Service History' and by going into that one you should be able to pull up a list of completed services, including the pre-delivery inspection record.
So far as I can see, you need to have the ignition turned on through the process. It also works with the engine running.
Useful info/reminder, thank you.

I think the question for many was why the date is what it is. Mileage is the easy one but original question was when does the clock start ticking and the answer is from the day the car is built in the factory, not date of sale. With Covid restrictions many cars are hitting service “date” requirement with as few as 4,000 miles on the clock and it has caused mild consternation. I also note that cars used to come with a long check list for each service interval and this appears hard to find.
Appreciate 0