BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Tdi-tuning crtd4 multi channel with rpm petrol tuning box chip

09-29-2020, 06:11 AM   #89
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
If we didn’t do this then nobody would believe there was a need and the aftermarket wouldn’t exist at all. It’s crazy how some cars have support on release and others go years.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #90
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

the jb4 unit isn't a bad option at all. i haven't had problems with it and i think it's sufficient, even more than sufficient. when driving yesterday in map2 i drove the car WOT for a bit merging onto the freeway just to see if it would trigger the failsafe and it didn't. so the takeaway is that the unit may be idiosyncratic in its behavior for certain users/vehicles? i haven't had the problems at all that rice_rocket88 has had.

also, i'm sure that the tdi unit is also more than sufficient for those living across the pond.
      09-29-2020, 07:18 AM   #91
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Hi. Back/forth positively with TDI last night/this morning. Triple checked all connectors. Downloaded new map. Will test tonight after the workday.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #92
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Well technically... he can return some of the tuning boxes... I hope..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #93
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Well technically... he can return some of the tuning boxes... I hope..
YES.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #94
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

TDI Team –

Good evening.

This is going to be a long Email. So please take your time, and don’t jump to conclusions to quickly. I’m really trying here…

I performed more testing this evening with the latest MAP that I applied this morning.

But before I get into the results, I wanted to deeply explain that I am representing the BMW M35i community worldwide and with that I am not only investing an incredible amount of time, energy, and effort, but financial funds as well, not just with your TDI-Tuning solution, but everything that surrounds it.

I am doing so for the good of the community to prove or disprove that your product can add 3PSI over stock that will provide the power as listed on your website. It is in the hopes that this weekend I can come to conclusion of this very fact once I custom install a boost gauge solution, and retest to see what power is really truly being added. And if it is 3PSI and all that I have been feeling will back that up then excellent. The project stops, and I’ll be good with it. However, if the result of this weekend’s testing yields not anywhere near 3PSI, I would ask that provide me a map that does add the 3PSI increase in power now that I will have a boost gauge solution to validate it.

Once this science project of a project comes to conclusion, hopefully by this weekend, you’ll have many-many-many people lining up to purchase this solution with the given MAP we’ve ended up with.

As I mentioned, I tried the Dinan and it just did not work. Many of my colleagues are successfully using BMS JB4 with 3PSI above stock, they feel the power, they have proof via internal boost gauge and logging of the power and there are no issues with the JB4 solution – albeit at a higher cost of your solution by a couple hundred dollars, but if you factor in your solution plus my boost gauge costs, the costs can be considered similar within fifty dollars. Honestly, I would love to tell someone ‘just buy the TDI-Tuning solution and make sure you get the right map’, plug it in, and enjoy. No worries of logging or boost gauge to prove it or not (unless of course someone wants it). In the end if all works out, you should be paying me to do this R&D for USA customers. (smile)

OK, with that out of the way, the only difference in today’s drive was that it was a consistent 60 degrees Fahrenheit vs the 75 degrees it had been the last few times. 93 Octane. 20 miles drive. 55% regular traffic, 45% highway driving. 1.5 Hours. Multiple scenarios just that I had in the past. I took a lot of verbal notes while driving and they are listed below, in no particular order.

Spoiler alert – the BMW X2M35i loves the cooler temperatures – most definitely. In all my testing today in the cooler temps, I will now ‘uptick’ my comments of ‘there is something there’ with ‘there is something REALLY there’ but in the end it wasn’t that discernable to stock maps because in the cooler temperatures both stock and TDI maps performed more effectively than when it was hotter outside. My conclusion is that I really need to drive the vehicle with my boost gauge to see what PSI over stock it’s running. This goes to my comments above. I will say, the TDI maps, as always, have been so much better and smoother than the stock maps requiring a Pedal Tuner. Today was pleasant to drive. It felt like it had get up and go in both stock and TDI maps with the edge of course being the TDI maps. I can’t say there was an oomph put me in the seat power, but at these cooler temps – I definitely was digging driving the vehicle, more so with the TDI map, than stock – definitely. However, I want the power, and again as I said below, if what I am feeling is 3PSI, then we’re done all is good. If not, I want more power like the BMS JB4 can offer.

My Raw Notes:
  • Stepping down 500 RPM increments noticeable
  • Between 4000 and 5500 RPM I still feel something, not as noticeable as before, but it’s there – some VTEC crossover point or whatever you want to call it
  • It feels like there is more power, but maybe it’s the weather
  • I see no changes with TDI map on with OBDII boost gauge readings as they are similar to all the other tests prior
  • Going to stock map and every day driving is definitely not as smooth and is more noticeable than the highway, harder to tell
  • Seems like there are more rev hangs at high RPMs in manual mode – nothing bad, this is what I experienced on stock maps always
  • On the highway I saw the OBDII boost gauge spike to 21.32 as I had seen in the past, rarely, but it does happen
  • Exhaust pop-pop is still more evident on the TDI map
  • The TDI map appears to be safe in the way the automobile drives. Curious what PSI is being had.
  • Off the highway at 35MPh, the car does seem to get up and go, a bit better on the TDI map than stock, besides the smooth map, I’m wondering if it’s also the cooler temperature.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #95
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

?! Crickets !?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #96
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Hello.

I just got off a very good call with TDI in the UK.

I learned many things on the call. The key points are the following:

RPM sensor is KEY to a good MAP. Hence why it is smooth and controllable.

I found out that the 4000-5500 RPM crossover point that I 'feel' like VTEC in an Honda and Acura is actually massaging of fuel and boost and that RPM so that the ECU doesn't misfire or cause issues where it may be happening on the JB4 to cause PSI spikes to drop to a different map or failover - basically to protect the engine.

And lastly, to keep it simple for today, the MAP I have is definitely not the most agressive MAP that it can be.

So, what's next? What did TDI and I agree on? Very simple, I'll have the Boost Gauge on this weekend, drive around, and basically let them know what PSI I am at for peak and consistent. And the target from my point of view is 25.5 to 26.5. 3-4 PSI of boost additional over stock.

After this call I am even more optimistic that TDI and all that I have experienced could work. This is a co-effort between myself and TDI at this point, we've both agreed to agree on this.

What bugs me now that I learned more is the lack of RPM on the JB4 and the problems I've heard a few guys talk about on this forum.

So the boost gauge goes on this weekend, and I'll advise TDI where we are at and by Monday I should have another MAP, and spend hopefully no more than an additional day to close this project out.

And in the end, what does it mean for the community? $400-$450 shipped for a plug and play 3-4PSI solution, done - no other bullshit.

Hope this clarifies this project.

Last edited by xcelir8bmw; 10-05-2020 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #97
trnguyen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
for the community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
?! Crickets !?
Just to say that I am following this thread even if I have been silent so far. It's very interesting and informative.
It's always appreciated people to explore things like you.

I am a newbie to BMW and learning things on this forum.
Last time I was on a forum, it was for games. But this remind me like you said the community and the information sharing on it, it's great!
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 09:31 AM   #98
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Gauge installation complete. See: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1761044

I'll be providing PSI readings later today/tomorrow (for sure) for TDI-Tuning.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #99
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

TDI Tuning –

Good afternoon.

Introduction--
I spent time today, Friday afternoon, doing rigorous testing of the current tune you had provided me a few days ago. Now that I have a boost gauge tapped right off the engine, the below are the facts of what I am seeing with scientific proof, eliminate the butt dyno, and eliminate OBDII readings. I took 135 verbal recorded notes as I was driving today.

Data Logistics--
Car Year/Make/Model: 2019 BMW X2 M35i
Date: October 2nd, 2020
Time: 2:00PM-4:00PM CST
Distance Traveled: 40 Miles
Driving Conditions: 50/50 mix of Traffic and Highway
Temperature: 55 Degrees Fahrenheit
Tooling: Koso X-1 Boost Gauge (30PSI Max, .5 PSI increment readouts) with NM-Engineering B48 Boost Sensor Tap and 2,5 Bar Stock MAP Sensor

Readings--
Best Readings: 3rd and 4th Gear Pulls on the Highway
Best/Highest of Measurements:
1. Stock Consistent: 26-26.5 PSI, Stock Max: 29.5 PSI
2. TDI-Tuning (Mode 7) Consistent: 30 PSI-30.x PSI, TDI Max: 30.x PSI

*** MAX GAIN OF TDI OVER STOCK: ~4PSI+ (Boost Gauge only goes to 30) ***

Summary--
The TDI-Tuning product, with the current tune on mode 7 definitely backs the advertised statement on TDI-Tunings web page of claims of increase in HP and Torque to a tune of ~4+ PSI. And in mode 1, ~2.5+ PSI. Both modes offer big power over stock. The installation utilizes 3 sensors, TMAP, MAP, and RPM. And due to this configuration provides for a very smooth and linear increase in HP and Torque over the stock tune.

Thoughts--
I am very pleased with the results and feel that my investment in time, energy, financial efforts, ingenuity in adding probably the first in the world’s boost gauge to this vehicle and B48 variant, as well as the partnerships with TDI-Tuning made this experience, or shall I say a science project (in a good way) very valuable to the BMW community. There are many-many eyes on this project and I guarantee after the post of this report, people will be lining up to buy the product. This production/solution appears to be rock solid on a stock vehicle. Easy to install. Customer service is excellent. Price is right for those who just want to plug-and-play and drive with excitement. Without long term testing, but as of right now, appears to be ‘safe’.

Next Steps--
I would have never thought that I would ask for the following request, but could you provide me a NEW map, that is ‘slightly, like a little bit’ REDUCED in power. The reason being is that I would like to never see more than 30PSI MAX boost on my Koso Boost Gauge, despite the smooth and consistent power and the appearance of no issues and that the car can handle it. I now wish Koso made a Boost Gauge that read more than 30 PSI – but this product seemed to be the only one that met all my needs. The accuracy in comparisons is what I’ve used this tool for, but I am not sure how the accuracy of the Koso product is against other competing products in a similar configured solution. And by all accounts, reducing the power just-a-little-bit will probably solve this and get me closer to the 3-4PSI number consistent readings I desire as well as the slightly reduced maximum PSI readings that I have experienced.

Closing--
Once I receive the new map, I’ll retest and provide my feedback.

Thank you,
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #100
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Very good findings! The only bummer is not being able to log it to see how it spikes and settles in. But with map 7 you are seeing Max, you can't dial it down to 6...5.. etc to drop it a little?

1. Stock Consistent: 26-26.5 PSI, Stock Max: 29.5 PSI
2. TDI-Tuning (Mode 7) Consistent: 30 PSI-30.x PSI, TDI Max: 30.x PSI

Does this mean setting one is "stock" what it sees with zero boost.. And setting 7 hits 30?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #101
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

7 is 4psi over stock
1 is like 1.5 to 2 psi over stock
and there is off which is stock
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #102
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

and guys the 30 is my gauge

never does 22.5 be stock wot it's always 26.5

so is 22.5 really stock, I think not

that is why i wonder what bms says stock via logging
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:42 PM   #103
trnguyen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

I read somewhere else that you drive always or mostly in Sport mode.
For someone who drives mostly in Comfort, do you think the TDI device will make a difference?

I also saw many of you have the BMS pedal tuner. I was interested in it, but it's back order due to Covid-19.

What I am looking for is the car to be more responsive (not lag that was described in the BMS pedal tuner thread), but not the noise and lower gear like in Sport mode. In this case, is it better with the pedal tuner or the TDI?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #104
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnguyen View Post
I read somewhere else that you drive always or mostly in Sport mode.
For someone who drives mostly in Comfort, do you think the TDI device will make a difference?

I also saw many of you have the BMS pedal tuner. I was interested in it, but it's back order due to Covid-19.

What I am looking for is the car to be more responsive (not lag that was described in the BMS pedal tuner thread), but not the noise and lower gear like in Sport mode. In this case, is it better with the pedal tuner or the TDI?
This TDI product works well for all ECU based modes and does not require you to have a BMS pedal tuner. Without this TDI product, I would recommend a BMS pedal tuner.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #105
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

TDI Tuning –

Good afternoon.

Introduction
I spent time today, Saturday morning, doing rigorous testing of the new tune you had provided me this morning. I took many verbal recorded notes as I was driving today.

Data Logistics
Car Year/Make/Model: 2019 BMW X2 M35i
Date: October 3nd, 2020
Time: 1 Hour
Distance Traveled: 20 Miles
Driving Conditions: 50/50 mix of Traffic and Highway
Temperature: 51 Degrees Fahrenheit
Tooling: Koso X-1 Boost Gauge (30PSI Max, .5 PSI increment readouts) with NM-Engineering B48 Boost Sensor Tap on Intake Manifold paired with 2,5 Bar Stock MAP Sensor

Note: In doing extensive stock testing using my Koso Boost Gauge and OBD II readouts today, and based on experience yesterday, I would like to make a statement that the Koso Boost Gauge can be up to 1.5 higher PSI reading than the OBDII precise readouts or what boost really is. I may need to see if I have to get a replacement sender. But all measurements between modes are reproducible. The corrected variance is -1.5.

10/3 Readings (w/-1.5 Variance Correction)
Best Readings: 3rd and 4th Gear Pulls on the Highway, Comparable 2nd-4th Gear Pulls All Traffic
Best of Measurements:
1. Stock (TDI-Tuning Off), 23 Consistent
2. TDI-Tuning (Mode 7), ~27.5 Consistent (~4+ PSI Over Stock)
3. TDI-Tuning (Mode 6), ~27 Consistent (~4+ PSI Over Stock)
4. TDI-Tuning (Mode 5), ~26.5 Consistent (~3.5 + PSI Over Stock **Sweet Spot **
5. TDI-Tuning (Mode 4), ~26 Consistent (~3+ PSI Over Stock)
6. TDI-Tuning (Mode 3), ~25 Consistent (~2+ PSI Over Stock)

Summary
The TDI-Tuning product, with the current tune, is a very good blend of power and backs the advertised statement on TDI-Tunings web page of claims of increase in HP and Torque to a tune of ~4+ PSI.

Thoughts
I highly believe this tune is good at all selected choices. Some individuals may want Mode 7 and below slightly reduced to move the curve to Mode 4 being the sweet spot.

Next Steps
Project complete. No more tuning necessary.

Last edited by xcelir8bmw; 10-05-2020 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #106
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

xcelir8bmw you should post it on the 2 series and 1 series forums as well for their high-output engine m performance cars.
      10-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #107
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

The TDI-Tuning solution is available for sale to whomever is interested since I am now on the JB4 platform.

Asking $250 Shipped to USA and Canada.

PM me if interested.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #108
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Bump.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #109
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Bump.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #110
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

SOLD!

Last edited by xcelir8bmw; 11-16-2020 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 1