BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Burger Tuning JB4 install on B48 X2 m35i

09-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #45
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

I will probably be playing with Dinan soon enough myself. Based on another recent thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #46
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Ordered the Dinan today. Will baseline stock BT setting in app, and slowly go through the other maps (Sport, Sport+, and maybe Race) and see what the PSI shows.
Appreciate 1
Will Pwr747.50
      09-14-2020, 09:50 PM   #47
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

okay, so i ordered the jb4 unit a few days ago and am just reading this now. i'm awaiting its arrival but all of the posts on here seem super down on the product.

i really don't want to mess with mapping the car too much if at all. i just sort of want something that i can stick onto the car and let it do its thing in whatever configuration it comes in right out of the box and hope for just a bit of improved performance over stock. as i have the m35i and so does OP, i'm concerned that it's going to trigger the failsafe in even the right-out-of-the-box form and that i'll be so disappointed that i'll have to return the item.

has this been the case with those of you who have the m35i and the jb4 unit? or is it not unit you start playing around with the different enhanced mappings that, while they may be fun, may actually not be fun in real life due to the safety systems built into the vehicle kicking in? did i just waste like 650$?
      09-14-2020, 09:59 PM   #48
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i'll add that i had a jb4 unit for the lexus is300 rwd f-sport that i had previous to the m35i and i just stuck it on the car and didn't worry about it. it did provide a ton more power and torque than the stock configuration did and i never messed with the BT app nor changed any of the out-of-the-box settings. i also had a tom's of japan performance race box and also used that for a bit, but preferred the jb4. i still have both of them because no one on clublexus will buy them - they don't know what they're missing out on.

i'm praying to the bmw gods themselves that i can replicate that here with this particular engine in the m35i.

i do see the dinantronics sport unit that's like 250 bucks which i had seen prior to and it had that giant warning that they weren't liable for any damage done to the vehicle so i shied away from that unit and went for the jb4. someone send me some good news!
      09-15-2020, 06:28 AM   #49
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

JB4 isn't liable either.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 06:49 AM   #50
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
JB4 isn't liable either.
of course not, but the jb4 is the far safer out of the two devices.
      09-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #51
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jordi View Post
Quote:
JB4 isn't liable either.
Why? Dinan has BT choices at stock map at initial setting. And logs if you want. You can slowly turn it up to some max which I will provide data for. You have more control initially because of BT app.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 07:15 AM   #52
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jordi View Post
Quote:
JB4 isn't liable either.
Why? Dinan has BT choices at stock map at initial setting. And logs if you want. You can slowly turn it up to some max which I will provide data for. You have more control initially because of BT app.
You will not have more control with out something controlling the wastegate. Neither the JB+ or dinan control the wastegate. Neither does the jb4 out of the box without the wastegate connector. Hence why burger told the OP to get the wastegate connector.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 07:19 AM   #53
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

You are correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:15 AM   #54
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

okay, so if i run and i'm looking at bms' webpage for the product the map where it's 3-4 psi over stock am i going to run into problems or is this product going to have me buying additional bolt ons that i really didn't want to purchase?

again, the experience with the lexus was amazing. i plugged it in and bam! more power and significantly more torque.

can someone chime in because i need to know as it hasn't shipped yet.

edit: is anyone else running the jb4 unit on the m35i? i don't know what the OP has or has not already done to his car. my car is brand new and thus stock at this point save for tint which i did yesterday.

Last edited by Davy Jordi; 09-15-2020 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #55
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

My thoughts is that there has not been anything that has been released that is mature enough to just slap it in/plug and play and be good with it for the M35i platform.

Waiting for industry momentum.

In the mean-time, there appears to be two options, JB4/JB4+ and Dinan. However, I'll be able to approve/disapprove Dinan hopefully when I get it and will advise even if it is an option at that point. At the outset, I am 50/50 on the fence right now.

I'd like to see the JB4, and all plug in sensor cables be the end all be all. OP and others have to prove it out with Burger. And Dynos...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:52 AM   #56
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My thoughts is that there has not been anything that has been released that is mature enough to just slap it in/plug and play and be good with it for the M35i platform.

Waiting for industry momentum.

In the mean-time, there appears to be two options, JB4/JB4+ and Dinan. However, I'll be able to approve/disapprove Dinan hopefully when I get it and will advise even if it is an option at that point. At the outset, I am 50/50 on the fence right now.

I'd like to see the JB4, and all plug in sensor cables be the end all be all. OP and others have to prove it out with Burger. And Dynos...
well, i guess i'm in the same boat as you except we are trying out different products.

i don't think there is going to be a large aftermarket support community for this particular configuration of the b48 engine because it's used so sparingly. it won't be until bmw and/or mini decide to use it more robustly in products that appeal to less of a niche market that we'll see aftermarket support. '

keep me updated on your findings and i'll keep you updated on mine. i'm not going to dyno the car because if you absolutely have to dyno it to tell if it's working, then it's not. you can tell with these sorts of devices right away with regard to efficacy.

still want to know what OP had done to his car prior to installation of the jb4 unit as that can make a huge difference. also he may have had loftier expectations than i do. i only plan on running the maps that boost 3 or 4 psi over stock at max boost. is this too much and will it trigger the failsafe mechanism? i'm not sure and i don't think you are either with the device you bought.

best of luck to the both of us!
      09-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #57
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Well said, I agree.

If 22.8PSI is Steady Boost at Stock, I am thinking 2 PSI is a safe increment.

I wouldn't imagine BMW having such tight tolerances, unless 2PSI is the tolerance, I would think it would be double that. Again, I don't know.

On an X2 that is not an M35i, we all know, people are running 4PSI more. On the M35i, I am not sure and going to be slow and safe with this.

I also do not plan on adding any additional performance upgrades to the car besides the Pedal Controller already installed (and needed).

I am quite happy where the stock car is with the pedal controller, just want 'a little more'.

And the transmission is also sort of the known/unknown as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #58
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

that's exactly how i feel. i just want a bit more but i don't want to blow my engine.

the aisin transmission i think will be fine, it's more the engine that i'm worried about because the lowest setting is 3psi above stock parameters and if it will allow for that and produce a noticeable difference, then great, but i also don't want to break my brand new car.

i reached out to burger motorsports' customer support this morning in a lengthy email detailing my concerns, so i expect them to be responsive because they have topnotch customer service, but just because they have topnotch customer service doesn't mean the product works.

we'll see what they say and i'll update you all a bit later in the day when they respond.
      09-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #59
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This was BMS' response to my concerns:

Hi David,

I'd need to see a datalog of the issue, generally speaking when "issues" get mentioned, and we ask for datalogs, it seems hit or miss whether the customer even sends them in. The fail safes built into the JB4 logic are in place to help protect the car, and anytime any of these fail safes are triggered long enough, the JB4 stores the fault in your log, and again throws you into our safety / stock map. This is actually a good thing, as it saves the car, but also tells you what the issue is so you can address.

Outside of installing the JB4, and potentially a fresh set of OEM plugs, you should be able to run map 1 or 2 all day, no problem.

Best,
Burger Motorsports Sales
      09-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #60
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Interesting.

What defines Map 1 and Map 2? How much PSI and other for each Map?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #61
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Hi Everyone,

I didn't get any notifications to this post, but I do login frequently enough just to see if there is new stuff to do.

So.. no, I haven't yet bothered to go to the dyno, it's more of actually finding an AWD dyno, calling and seeing what their prices are. I have followed some local pages and there is a lot of complaints about pricing and time. The last time someone did a pull at a place I had been to decades ago they charged him $340 for the few pulls.. which I am NOT going to waste my money on. The general complaints are that 3 pulls should be approx 1 hr and be about $150 .. but most dynos are RWD dynos so that puts it out of the picture for me. Again.. it's about time and money for me to actually go do it.

What have I done to my car previous? Nothing... although I did fabricate my own open air intake if you look around I have pictures of that. That by all means has nothing to do with the performance of the car, and whenever I do get to dyno the car I will throw in the stock box, and perhaps on my final run put the cone back in.

In terms of failsafe mode.. I am running the full blown JB4, which is why there is a failsafe map that it reverts to. I have only been able to get it to do that when the car is not fully warmed to temperature, which can take 10 minutes sometimes for that oil temperature to get all nice and toasty.

The JB+ and the Dinan both are boost controllers only. There are no failsafes other than the factory maps. For $50 more the Dinan will let you adjust those maps with your phone. I don't think it actually "logs" more than just shows you the boost it's reading from the sensor, which is ultimately probably what the OBDII reads.

*Here's the interesting thing*
My car via OBDII was indeed reading 22.8psi ish from stock. However... with the JB4 installed I got a full log of everything. Peak boost was indeed higher, but tapering off. You might call it a boost spike or what not. Terry was very responsive in looking at all my logs, and we settled on a baseline boost setting that ended up at 2.5psi over what the peak of 25psi was showing on my stock run. So in the end the JB4 logs showed approx the 27.5psi peak boost. The car is behaving totally normal and there are zero issues. I do occasionally (once a month maybe) get an error of: 102001 Air mass plausibility or a 20E120 Breather Crankcase hose. This is listed as a "tuner code" and is 99.9% because of my intake. This does not throw the car into limp mode or any safety mode.

I'm sure that the car itself can handle plenty of boost without an issue, and according to the JB+ manual default is 3pm on the boost dial for 3.5psi over stock. I would probably get someone to sit in the passenger seat, get an OBDII reader (anything you use for bimmercode or programming would work) And get them to watch the "stock" boost after the car is warmed up. I would then just start with the dial turned a little down (or just go for it) and see what the increase in boost is.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #62
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Oh to add,

If you do get the JB4 complete package I can tell you how to add the customization to it. Although perhaps because the car was not warmed up enough that's why map1 threw it into limp mode right away.. but also because map 1 is 4psi over stock it could have those issues.. so I don't believe you can run the JB4 itself without a custom map. FYI I'm also in Boston so I'm close to sea level which also affects things if you are at higher altitude.

I got a great deal on the JB4 and wanted to log the car.. but if I had to do it now knowing how it all behaves I would probably go with the JB+ or the Dinatronics and call it a day until more customization is out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 12:12 PM   #63
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Interesting.

What defines Map 1 and Map 2? How much PSI and other for each Map?
Again the JB4 is a full blown module with more failsafe's and more customization. The "Default" map1 should be 4psi over stock, and map2 is 6psi over stock. Most commonly used in the N54/N55 and B58 (and others) The cars can safely take the 4psi and often the 6psi which is why there is an inflated gain of 100hp with some supporting mods. Those cars really shine with it.

Although from what I seem to understand/feel is that our Electronic wastegate might not let us reliably push so much more boost. I could never get to that darned connector (I tried once more and just couldn't get the C clip out enough). The 6 cyl engines boost around 14psi stock vs our 22.8 (or 25 in my case on JB4 logs).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #64
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

wait, i thought that map 1 was 3 psi over stock. am i mistaken?

so basically what you're saying is that i'm going to have some issues with this unit? or is it worth keeping despite any issues that may arise?

i don't really want to map my own this or that. i just want to choose like map 1 and be done with it with some improved performance which according to BMS i should be able to do...

edit: yeah, map 1 is 3psi over stock
https://burgertuning.com/collections...oducts/b58-jb4

Last edited by Davy Jordi; 09-15-2020 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #65
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Sorry it is 3 psi and 4psi.. I was going off memory of my N54/N55 days.. I just went to the website for b48 motor and checked.

First of all did you actually get the Jb4 or the JB+?

If you got the JB4 then did you get a bluetooth connector, or did you get a USB cable? You would best use the software to at least see if your car will kick into safe mode (map 8) or.. I can show you how to custom a new map (map6) and it's pretty darned easy.. set it and forget it. There's a good chance that the 0.5psi might work fine on map 1 for your car, but my car didn't like it. Rememeber car has to be warm.. I think it was oil temp over 160.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #66
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Sorry it is 3 psi and 4psi.. I was going off memory of my N54/N55 days.. I just went to the website for b48 motor and checked.

First of all did you actually get the Jb4 or the JB+?

If you got the JB4 then did you get a bluetooth connector, or did you get a USB cable? You would best use the software to at least see if your car will kick into safe mode (map 8) or.. I can show you how to custom a new map (map6) and it's pretty darned easy.. set it and forget it. There's a good chance that the 0.5psi might work fine on map 1 for your car, but my car didn't like it. Rememeber car has to be warm.. I think it was oil temp over 160.
i ordered the jb4 with the bluetooth connector. i called them and they said map 1 at 3psi over stock would be fine on 91 octane gas. my car is unmodified as it's brand new, so it'll be put on lowering springs monday and whenever this thing comes i'll install it and hopefully won't have to mess with it much because if i do then it'll become a headache and i'll wind up returning it.

i mean, by warm do you just mean like don't drive it spiritedly? or by warm do you mean the unit won't work at all until it's warmed up and it'll default back to factory settings (map 0)?

when it arrives i'll install it and probably bug you and bms because this unit does not seem like it's plug-and-play.