BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Do you only buy a car if you really want it?

10-27-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Do you only buy a car if you really want it?

So I've had 20 cars to date and I am in my 40's.

It has went like this:

I have a car that I have kinda of tired off, that's just not doing it for me anymore.
So I start looking for another car. I test drive a car and smile and laugh and love it.
I walk away wanting the car and so I get it.

some examples:

I went from a 1979 corolla to a 1985 Omni GLH.

I went from a 1985 Omni GLH to a 1987 Mustang 5.0.

I went from a 1990 Plymouth laser to a modded 1990 300Zx.

I went from a chrysler crossfire to a e86 coupe 3.0si.

I went from the e86 coupe to a 2014 Cayman S.

In each of those cases I was blown away by the car I moved into and simply wanted the car after the test drive. I didn't hesitate, I wanted that car.

Since the 2014 Cayman S, I simply haven't got that feeling again.
And I've tried all kinds of cars.
I just have not got that, yes this car is amazing I want this now, feeling.

recently I test drove a manual M2C and again I didn't get that feeling.

sure I liked it better than my m240i, but I wasn't like yes I want this. So I am hesitating and thinking maybe I should wait until I get that feeling again?

But I literally haven't got that feeling in over 6 years of test driving various cars within my budget.

So my question is have you only bought cars where you have a strong feeling "I want this" or is it enough if you say "this will be better"?

Last edited by baege; 10-27-2019 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post

It's went like this:

I have a car that I have kinda of tired off, that's just not doing it for me anymore.
So I start looking for another car. I test drive a car and smile and laugh and love it.
I walk away wanting the car and so I get it.

some examples:

In each of those cases I was blown away by the car I moved into and simply wanted the car after the test drive. I didn't hesitate, I wanted that car.

sure I liked it better than my m240i, but I wasn't like yes I want this. So I am hesitating and thinking maybe I should wait until I get that feeling again?

But I literally haven't got that feeling in over 6 years of test driving various cars within my budget.

So my question is have you only bought cars where you have a strong feeling "I want this" or is it enough if you say "this will be better"?
For me yes. But like you, I’ve owned almost 40 cars since I’ve been driving. So I do like driving cars that are fresher (design and tech), plus I drive a lot of miles. I get to a certain point like just over 100,000 miles or shortly after a warranty ends and I start looking. It sometimes takes a while. And sometimes my needs change. I’ve owned trucks in the past when needed and then traded for a sedan later on when I didn’t. I always gravitate toward smaller cars which is what brought me to the 135is. I also love my Corvette. I would like an M2 (OG or otherwise) at some point but can’t justify one until the prices drop further. I’m saving for a nice used 911 and an M2 to add to the stable so need to be as frugal as possible to make it work.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      10-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Some people can buy a car like they buy a kitchen appliance; smartest choice wins. Others require the car to make their heart beat faster. I'm the latter.

So yeah, I need that feeling from every car I own, and yeah, the M2 gives it to me (as much as a daily can), just not as much as my Exige.
Appreciate 3
c1pher4544.00
baege1320.50
WolfGTI688.50
      10-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

We've had more than 50 cars. I also feel that the excitement is wearing off mainly because newer cars are are losing the visceral feel and driving dynamics or we're all getting older and nothing is new or fresh anymore.

But, I would highly suggest you drive the Gen V Viper. It's like no other car that's been made and there will never be a car like that ever made for the rest of the human history. The laws simply won't allow it! It's the purest and rawest form of a car with a great amalgamation of newer technology.

The only BMW that does it for me now is a 6 series because of its unique beauty. All the newer BMWs look like someone tried way too hard and failed.
Appreciate 2
baege1320.50
c1pher4544.00
      10-27-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
We've had more than 50 cars. I also feel that the excitement is wearing off mainly because newer cars are are losing the visceral feel and driving dynamics or we're all getting older and nothing is new or fresh anymore.

But, I would highly suggest you drive the Gen V Viper. It's like no other car that's been made and there will never be a car like that ever made for the rest of the human history. The laws simply won't allow it! It's the purest and rawest form of a car with a great amalgamation of newer technology.

The only BMW that does it for me now is a 6 series because of its unique beauty. All the newer BMWs look like someone tried way too hard and failed.
I think the main selling point of BMW for me has been the smaller cars with that sweet inline six cylinder engine. With the transition to four cylinder engines and less engaging steering and handling, I feel BMW is becoming more of a Toyota than an enthusiast brand. Nothing wrong with that but that is what made me really start looking at Porsche. I just really can not afford new prices, so have to buy used.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      10-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

No offense meant by this, but the switches you've made in the past are very significant upgrades. Like getting out of an Omni or Crossfire - i can see how it seemed like a revelation

But now you're in pretty good cars, so it's harder to get that. A huge upgrade from a 981 Cayman is probably something like a GT3 or GT4. You might not even consider the new 718's an upgrade in the excitement/love factor (I sure don't)
Appreciate 1
MarkDemma517.00
      10-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Like getting out of an Omni...
Omni GLH

Those were no ordinary Omnis
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...dodge-omni-glh
Appreciate 2
SherM4n630.00
      10-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I think the main selling point of BMW for me has been the smaller cars with that sweet inline six cylinder engine. With the transition to four cylinder engines and less engaging steering and handling, I feel BMW is becoming more of a Toyota than an enthusiast brand. Nothing wrong with that but that is what made me really start looking at Porsche. I just really can not afford new prices, so have to buy used.
True, that's exactly what's happening. They're trying to be like Toyota or Lexus. They're even copying the big, ugly grills! The only other car in the BMW lineup I would consider is the 2 Series Coupe because it's the only car that still has any old school driving dynamics, but even that is limited because they have electronic steering. This is the crux of the problem. All new cars across the spectrum by every brand have lost the old school Mojo.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
MightyM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Test drive a Cayman 981 GT4. If price isn't a concern try the 718 GT4. They are AMAZING CARS... If you love NA and the sound of a flat 6 this is for you. Race car setup, beatiful dimensions, and its a Porsche
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Omni GLH

Those were no ordinary Omnis
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...dodge-omni-glh
They sure we're not. GLH stood for "goes like hell" for all the newbies. For all the criticism Dodge receives, they have been the rebel in the industry, in a good way. Their products may be a little less refined but that's what has made some of their sports cars really fun and engaging in a totally different way than BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #11
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
When I was in my 20's through early 40's, my car choices were based around SCCA classing and what would be competitive. In my middle 30's, I bought a beater Jeep CJ-7 as a daily driver, because my cars were not drivable on the streets in bad weather with the crazy competition alignments and stuff. The Jeep and cars were polar opposites to drive, but each had a unique character. Plus, scraping snow/ice/frost off of a CJ-7's tiny windshield was a piece of cake. Having two distinct options made each of them special when you have a choice of which to drive on any given day.

When I hit the age of midlife crisis, I started looking at cars as long-term investments. Now in my 50's, my street-driven competition car will turn 20 years old in a few months, and my diesel pickup that was my daily driver (and race car trailer tow vehicle) up until last spring is 13 years old. Both are long-since paid off. The payments on the car were partially augmented by motorsports deals, and believe it or not I can still sell the pickup today for more than I paid for it as an investment back in 2008. Yup, I put 100K miles and 11 years of driving on it, and it didn't cost me a dime in depreciation!

Up until last spring, I did not see a single new car on the market that I actually wanted to buy. Absolutely nothing appealed to me. Then, a European "halo" car caught my attention. It has a carbon-fiber tub, rear-motor, RWD, weighs 2700 pounds, and is more "chuckable" into corners than my old Mk1 and Mk2 VW GTI's. No-speed transmission, no clutch pedal, no steering feel through the electric power steering setup, no side bolsters or bucket seats, and skinny tires with a surprising amount of lateral grip for their 155mm width. In other words, the most boring car in the world...that makes me feel like a kid driving my old VW Rabbit again. Found a pristine example in the wrong place at the wrong time, and bought it for a price so far under KBB that I couldn't walk away. It will likely be the last car that I ever buy at this point, since I only buy vehicles for the long term now.

Anyway, my $0.02 is that the OP has purchased his mid-life-crisis-mobile, and nothing else in terms of cars will ever be the same again. Seems to be a natural part of getting older, at least in my experience. Seal the thing up in a hermetic bubble, and only take it out on sunny weekend days as a treat. Pick up a beater vehicle as a daily driver, so that your time with the sports car is even more special.....
thebmw1618.50
      10-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #12
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Quote:

It has went like this:

[...]
some examples:

I am right there with you and most of the other people on this thread. I have driven many of the newer cars out there, sometimes as loaners (BMW) or higher-end rentals that are available at Hertz and Silver. I am looking forward to testing that RS6 Avant that should be here next year, especially since BMW doesn't see fit to allow us to buy their wagons.

I have been over-maintaining the cars I have now just to keep me in them as long as possible. These days when I wear something out, I have been looking for used replacements that give me the same visceral feeling. So, to answer your question, when I decide "I want this" it is typically something that is older.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      10-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #13
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyM3 View Post
Test drive a Cayman 981 GT4. If price isn't a concern try the 718 GT4. They are AMAZING CARS... If you love NA and the sound of a flat 6 this is for you. Race car setup, beatiful dimensions, and its a Porsche
Even our base 718 is a dream IMO. Has electric steering too but somehow has pretty good feedback. And the manual transmission is not nearly praised enough since everyone always focuses on the PDK which is also pretty darn perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I buy only what I want. This has been true for Tundras, Volvo wagons, Mazda 3s, Nissan Sentras, and each of the six BMWs I've chosen.

If they need more to make them be what I need them to be, then I find people to make that happen for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #15
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Buy what you want and modify it when you get bored. Saves money over the long run rather than continuously buying.

Then again.. cars aren't appliances to me. I tend to drive one until it's tired and only buy another when I find the next perfect match.

Sounds like you need to go back to the cayman and go from there.
      10-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #16
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Try a Pagani.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #17
MADBMWX5MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Lets put it this way...March 2019 bought an X3 M40i with options I did not like; traded it in Apr 2019 for an X3 M40i with options I DID like. Yes, I test drove the first one and no, I did not test drive the second one bc I already knew what I was looking for. Why not get what I wanted to begin with? That's a topic for another thread....so yeah, I am with you.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      10-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #18
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Are you still shopping for a one car garage or do you have the space and funds for a weekend car?

My wife and I tried to be rational and purchased the sensible, reliable daily driver car (Mazda3 hatchback). It was a failed experiment and sold within 12 months. Now we have come to terms with being full blown car enthusiasts. Why buy it if it doesn't excite you!?

Perhaps you are looking for an experience at the opposite end of the spectrum. Any chance you have test driven a Camaro 1LE, Miata, etc.? Certainly the E86 coupe, M240i, M2 and Cayman are fantastic cars but they are largely cut from the same ethos.
Appreciate 2
baege1320.50
Germanauto9665.50
      10-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #19
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Considering you're driving Cayman S and looking for exciting car,go try M4 GTS.
      10-29-2019, 01:33 AM   #20
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

I went e36m -> e46m -> r35 gtr -> ferrari 458. Also had a FRS, f30, and F80 along with those as a dd.

If you wanna be impressed you gotta spend money or take the gamble on a used sports car. I think going from a cayman S to a GT4, R8 v10, Viper, or GT3rs would impress you. Sure it might not seem 'worth it' but thats the car market. You get diminishing returns as you climb the ladder. Is my 458 2-3x the car a GTR is? objectively nope. But it is subjectively alot more fun.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
baege1320.50
Germanauto9665.50
      10-29-2019, 05:21 AM   #21
Infamus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
in my late 50's and my wife say I have car A.D.D. she may be right. I have had over 30 vehicles in my life but none for more than 2 years and others for six months. I get bored easy. I have a 2018 AMG GTS as a garage queen, this M2 replaced my 2019 SS 1LE and I have an AMG GLE 63 to haul the wife and kid around... like I said I get bored...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 05:52 AM   #22
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Are you still shopping for a one car garage or do you have the space and funds for a weekend car?

My wife and I tried to be rational and purchased the sensible, reliable daily driver car (Mazda3 hatchback). It was a failed experiment and sold within 12 months. Now we have come to terms with being full blown car enthusiasts. Why buy it if it doesn't excite you!?

Perhaps you are looking for an experience at the opposite end of the spectrum. Any chance you have test driven a Camaro 1LE, Miata, etc.? Certainly the E86 coupe, M240i, M2 and Cayman are fantastic cars but they are largely cut from the same ethos.
I am still stuck with the one car scenario.

As for opposite end, I had a 2015 corvette manual which is a car that I bought when I wasn't sure after the test drive, I said "this will be different" from the 2014 Cayman S I had at the time and was bored of. I liked the v8 sound and torque. But I definitely didn't get that "I want this" feeling after the corvette test drive. That didn't work out so well, as it turned out I didn't like it (for a variety of reasons) and went back to the cayman shortly thereafter.

I recently test drove a miata rf and found the power was just too lacking for me...

The last car that came closest to that "I want this feeling" was a 2016 ftype R. I had a 2016 Cayman S at the time and the sound and instant torque of the f type made me giggle. I didn't buy it at the time for financial reasons (house shopping) and the 40k jump didn't work then.

I've test driven 2 recently and it's funny how I didn't get that feeling those times. They felt big and cumbersome and didn't even feel that fast (the m240i is pretty darn quick). I also found the engine sound was kinda truck like and not as enthralling as I remembered it.

Last edited by baege; 10-29-2019 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0