BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Halogen to LED headlights

06-27-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
dougdmg
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Halogen to LED headlights

I am thinking of upgrading my 2018 BMW X1 standard halogen headlights to LED bulbs but don't have the knowledge (coding, etc.) to do it myself. Does anyone know of mechanics in the Seattle/Tacoma, Washington area who have the expertise to perform this headlight upgrade for me?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
They sell CANBUS error free H7 bulbs. Some bulbs will require H7 adapter clips to make installation easy or you can bend that wire to hold your LED bulb in place. There are others that don't even require an adapter. They also sell plug-and-play CANBUS decoder. Just make sure there's enough lumens or otherwise your new LED will be even dimmer than the regular halogens.

The only caveat is the blinking at start up unless you code it to cancel bulb check. BMW sends a low current to these bulbs and since these LED don't require much power, they will flicker for a few seconds when starting up the car.

There's a thread in here on how to turn off bulb check.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

What GenXer said. Hardware install is straightforward. If you need to modify the clip, I recommend taking the clip out and using a linesman plier to straighten the latch part. If you need to do it, this comment will make sense once you take it out.

If flashing occurs on start up, you'll need BimmerCode or Carly to code the bulb check to Off setting and change bulbs to LED option.

Alignment of beam may be necessary to not be that jerk that blinds people while driving. Quick and easy way is to tape off a wall where the original halogen beam shines at then compare to LED beam after install.
Appreciate 1
GenXer1363.00
      06-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #4
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
What GenXer said. Hardware install is straightforward. If you need to modify the clip, I recommend taking the clip out and using a linesman plier to straighten the latch part. If you need to do it, this comment will make sense once you take it out.

If flashing occurs on start up, you'll need BimmerCode or Carly to code the bulb check to Off setting and change bulbs to LED option.

Alignment of beam may be necessary to not be that jerk that blinds people while driving. Quick and easy way is to tape off a wall where the original halogen beam shines at then compare to LED beam after install.
You are absolutely correct. The rotation of the LED bulb matters since most aftermarket headlight LED bulbs are bi-directional meaning you can rotate it to send out left/right directional beam (like you should) or turn it 90 degress to send out up/down pattern to blind on coming motorists.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
jlegelis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 N55 MT MSport

GenXer skyline0210 I'm having a hard time installing the Phillips Ultinon's on my F48 because the H7 clips interfere with the LED fan. I've tried bending but made a mess of it. Do you know which H7 LED adapter clips fit the F48 H7 socket? There are a ton on Amazon, but none seeming for the F48 socket. Guidance appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 09:44 PM   #6
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlegelis View Post
GenXer skyline0210 I'm having a hard time installing the Phillips Ultinon's on my F48 because the H7 clips interfere with the LED fan. I've tried bending but made a mess of it. Do you know which H7 LED adapter clips fit the F48 H7 socket? There are a ton on Amazon, but none seeming for the F48 socket. Guidance appreciated!
No, unfortunately I dont. Didnt have to go the adapter route so I cant recommend one. Might be a test and return situation to see which one fits for your application.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 12:25 AM   #7
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlegelis View Post
I was able to bend those stainless steel clips around my H7 LED lights. You can finger squeeze those clips to take them out and bend them with a needle nose pliers then carefully pop them back into their holders. It's a bit tricky putting them back but they fit perfectly. Fortunately, for the high beam on the X1, you can just pop the LED bulbs in without a clip.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
majore11
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I have a 2016 X1 with LED headlights, but my fog lights are halogen. Has anyone converted their fog lights to LED?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 11:20 PM   #9
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by majore11 View Post
I have a 2016 X1 with LED headlights, but my fog lights are halogen. Has anyone converted their fog lights to LED?
Yes, I have the Beamtech H8s installed for almost a year now.
Appreciate 0