BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Euro foglight switch?

10-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Euro foglight switch?

Anyone get their rear fog lights working? We do a lot of driving in rual areas that aren't lit and I really want to get the rear foglights working. On my X5 it was a new switch and one wire to the FRM module, but has anyone figured it out for the F48 yet?
      10-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Headlights or front fog lights have to be switched on for the rear fog lights to work. I've used mine a couple of times so far without any issues. Used it just last night in fact.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yes, but in North America, our light switch only has the button for the front fogs. On some models, like the E90, it was just buying the right switch to get the rear fogs to work. On other models like my E70, you had to run an additional wire from the light switch to the module which controls the lighting.

I don't know where to find the F48 wiring diagram (my copy of WDS is too old), so I can't see if there are any differences between the Euro/Aussie versions of the car in the wiring
      10-31-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

That sounds above my pay grade, I'm afraid. I've attached he only PDF I have that mentions exterior lighting. No idea if it's outdated or now (credit to ynguldyn; more HERE).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 05_F48 General Vehicle Electronics.pdf (1.96 MB, 313 views)
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks, not quite what I was looking for, but interesting information
      04-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
blue dragon did you ever figure this out?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
blue dragon did you ever figure this out?
Haven't tried. I would imagine it's similar to the f30. I'd did the rear fogs on my F30 and while you could enable it by filing down some tabs to enable the switch, I opted for the euro switch plus coding
      04-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #8
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Haven't tried. I would imagine it's similar to the f30. I'd did the rear fogs on my F30 and while you could enable it by filing down some tabs to enable the switch, I opted for the euro switch plus coding
I want to get the euro switch. But I cant seen to figure which switch I need for my X1. And all the ones on eBay all state they will not ship to the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #9
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Did you figure out coding?
I've change the switch but can't code it to work.

NSL_Verbaut = Verbaut
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output = nsw_l
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_Function = nebelscheinwerfer
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output = nsw_l
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_Function = nebelscheinwerfer

I've made this changes and fog light still doesn't work.
Appreciate 1
mikeyb74110.00
      07-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Did you figure out coding?
I've change the switch but can't code it to work.

NSL_Verbaut = Verbaut
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output = nsw_l
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_Function = nebelscheinwerfer
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output = nsw_l
Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_Function = nebelscheinwerfer

I've made this changes and fog light still doesn't work.
Did you get this work? I'm still waiting for my X1 to come out of the body shop so I can install the switch you sourced for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Did you get this work? I'm still waiting for my X1 to come out of the body shop so I can install the switch you sourced for me.

Yes, it’s working fine
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Quote:

Yes, it’s working fine
What did you to get it to work? I finally got my X1 back swapped the switch. Thought I coded it. But now the front fogs do not come on and the rear fogs still don't work.
      12-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #13
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

mikeyb74 kubax86 : Did you guys get this figured out? I was going to buy a euro switch on ebay. Was it hard to install..
Any tips/tricks?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #14
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePulse64 View Post
mikeyb74 kubax86 : Did you guys get this figured out? I was going to buy a euro switch on ebay. Was it hard to install..
Any tips/tricks?
Someone recently did this on an x2 and the dash is the same, they just modified the blank in the switch location under the front fog switch, may want to look over in the x2 section.

Here you go https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666194
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #15
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Although not residing in the USA, I read this topic with some alarm.
Here in the UK, my X1 and most other recently manufactured cars have rear fog lights. I find following cars with them switched on to be one of the least pleasurable experiences of driving.
The reason why? Well, we only have to see a bit of mist when out on the road and substantial numbers of 'numpties' think ' wow, I'll switch on my fog lights (front and rear).'
They then dazzle the driver of any any following (or approaching) vehicle, which in itself can lead to accidents. Worse still is that many of these 'drivers' forget to switch them off when the mist clears, making matters even worse. We had a misty/foggy day in the English Midlands a few days ago and there were numerous vehicles showing their foglight through the day (although most of the mist was cleared by late morning).
Again, I don't know what regulations cover use of foglight in the USA, but here in the UK it is an offence to switch them on except under specific conditions and here's what the law states:
'You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).'
Here's what Rule 236 says:
'You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.'
I apologise to our friends in the USA for having this rant, but I think fog lights are, in reality, more of a nuisance than an aid except in the very worst of conditions. Incidentally, the LED rear lights on my X1 are bright enough for driving under most conditions without having to resort to using the fog lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #16
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
I apologise to our friends in the USA for having this rant, but I think fog lights are, in reality, more of a nuisance than an aid except in the very worst of conditions. Incidentally, the LED rear lights on my X1 are bright enough for driving under most conditions without having to resort to using the fog lights.
No need to apologize, I see zero reason why anyone needs these to function in the US considering that most US drivers can't properly use high beam headlights or front facing foglights.
Appreciate 1
oakey46158.50
      12-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #17
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Someone recently did this on an x2 and the dash is the same, they just modified the blank in the switch location under the front fog switch, may want to look over in the x2 section.

Here you go https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666194
Thank you, I'll have to check this out.. Interested to see about them being able to pop-out the button, reminds me of the 3-series I had.

Quote:
Although not residing in the USA, I read this topic with some alarm.
Here in the UK, my X1 and most other recently manufactured cars have rear fog lights. I find following cars with them switched on to be one of the least pleasurable experiences of driving.
The reason why? Well, we only have to see a bit of mist when out on the road and substantial numbers of 'numpties' think ' wow, I'll switch on my fog lights (front and rear).'
They then dazzle the driver of any any following (or approaching) vehicle, which in itself can lead to accidents. Worse still is that many of these 'drivers' forget to switch them off when the mist clears, making matters even worse. We had a misty/foggy day in the English Midlands a few days ago and there were numerous vehicles showing their foglight through the day (although most of the mist was cleared by late morning).
Again, I don't know what regulations cover use of foglight in the USA, but here in the UK it is an offence to switch them on except under specific conditions and here's what the law states:
'You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).'
Here's what Rule 236 says:
'You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.'
The US doesn't typically allow for rear fog lights (Though I've seen a few Lexus Sedans with them). But my usage is for dense fog - Up in the mountains there are days where you can't see 3 feet in front of you. I had rear fog lights enabled on my old 3-series and it definitely helped keep me visible to others (Typically people use their emergency lights)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #18
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Quote:
The US doesn't typically allow for rear fog lights (Though I've seen a few Lexus Sedans with them).
All US Volvos have them, and have since the 1990's. It's a constant source of amusement on Volvo forums when people discuss whether they're useful, legal, or burned-out-on-one-side.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #19
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, I'll have to check this out.. Interested to see about them being able to pop-out the button, reminds me of the 3-series I had.

The US doesn't typically allow for rear fog lights (Though I've seen a few Lexus Sedans with them). But my usage is for dense fog - Up in the mountains there are days where you can't see 3 feet in front of you. I had rear fog lights enabled on my old 3-series and it definitely helped keep me visible to others (Typically people use their emergency lights)
Well yes, in that sort of scenario I'd be doing the same. Back in the days when I was young (pre-history 1960's my sons say!) we used to have smog so dense that I'd occasionally have to drive home, from one end of the city where I worked, to the other in fog (smog) so dense that I had to drive with my head out of the sliding side window (not easy) of my old (original) model Mini 850cc to try and find the white line down the centre of the road! No-one had thought of rear fog lights in those days although you could fit the sort of front fog lights the cars would use in the Monte Carlo Rally and dazzle every one else on the road. .

Last edited by oakey46; 12-03-2019 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #20
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well yes, in that sort of scenario I'd be doing the same. Back in the days when I was young (pre-history 1960's my sons say!) we used to have smog so dense that I'd occasionally have to drive home, from one end of the city where I worked, to the other in fog (smog) so dense that I had to drive with my head out of the sliding side window (not easy) of my old (original) model Mini 850cc to try and find the white line down the centre of the road! No-one had thought of rear fog lights in those days although you could fit the sort of front fog lights the cars would use in the Monte Carlo Rally and dazzle every one else on the road. .
That is some thick smog! I've seen it get bad in Los Angeles but not that bad.
I bet that mini was fun to drive, could even pick it up and move it if needed

For anybody else curious of the outcome. I pulled off the plastic switch (pry tool) shaved down the 3 tabs, coded using BimmerCode and had success. It was extremely easy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #21
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That is some thick smog! I've seen it get bad in Los Angeles but not that bad.
I bet that mini was fun to drive, could even pick it up and move it if needed
My (1963) Mini was great fun to drive - especially in snow, but not very reliable. You mentioned about picking it up, which reminded me of one of the faults with a very large nut between the gearbox and the engine (gearbox was in sump in original Mini). The nut was held fastened by a washer that was simply knocked (tabbed) over one of the large faces of the nut. Unfortunately, someone forgot to design the washer with a splined inner 'circle' to fit over the splined shaft, so it was very prone to dropping off, this potentially jiggering up the gearbox. I was lucky it didn't cause any additional damage, but a pal and I had to separate the engine from the gearbox to fit the new splined washer (cost a few pence!). To get at it all, we actually disconnected all the ancillaries and lifted the whole body off, rolled it back away from the engine and rested it on a large wooden block.
My son claims my X1 isn't a proper BMW as it's front wheel drive, but is just a 'big Mini', unlike his 2017 BMW 1 Series. Well, I enjoy my X1 and have covered just 20K miles in 20 months, so I tell him to get real!
Appreciate 0