BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Concert Goers

03-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Concert Goers

Who here still goes to the occasional concert? I rarely go to shows anymore but when I do it's to see a band that I REALLY want to see perform live.

Just bought tickets to a show in Louisville KY and wow!!!! Whatever happened to being able to attend a concert for $25-50??? The process in how this entire business is ran is ridiculous.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to buying tickets for a 2 hour show that doesn't end up costing the price of a mortgage/car payment?

Last edited by King Rudi; 03-20-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11456.00
      03-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

saw dave matthews last year
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      03-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Who here still goes to the occasional concert? I rarely go to shows anymore but when I do it's to see a band that I REALLY want to see perform live.

Just bought tickets to a show in Louisville KY and wow!!!! Whatever happened to being able to attend a concert for $25-50??? The process in how this entire business is ran is ridiculous.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to buying tickets for a 2 hour show that don't end up costing the price of a mortgage/payment?
This is only a suggestion and it bears repeating that you should strongly consider the source before acting on it....but....one idea that did occur to me is that you could send the desired band of your choice a link to the video of "Roofied Rudi" and promise to attend backstage in exchange for tickets.

It requires a certain....devaluation...of one's self, but it would achieve the desired result.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15683.50
King Rudi13154.00
      03-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Really hard to get around the price of tickets these days.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13154.00
      03-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I haven't been to a concert in years and years. But I can say I saw The Who and The Rolling Stones.

What are you going to do when you're too old to Rock and Roll? Mick - Hold my glass. Rolling Stones tour 2019. Can you imagine these guys still going at it. How the hell is Keith Richards still alive?

Carry on.
      03-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Can't go to sporting events for the old prices either.

Last, I got to see the Eagles before Glenn passed.

Have upcoming tickets for a guitar guy from Italy or something in May. 4 ticket > $450. . . wife's Christmas present.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
How the hell is Keith Richards still alive?
Blood transfusions = Fountain of Youth
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      03-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
I just saw Disturbed in DC. Wow. What a great show. Such a powerful band. Their version of "Sounds of Silence" is pretty amazing.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13154.00
      03-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
saw dave matthews last year
I'm not a huge Dave Matthews fan but am a fan nonetheless. I've heard from many that they are amazing live performers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
This is only a suggestion and it bears repeating that you should strongly consider the source before acting on it....but....one idea that did occur to me is that you could send the desired band of your choice a link to the video of "Roofied Rudi" and promise to attend backstage in exchange for tickets.

It requires a certain....devaluation...of one's self, but it would achieve the desired result.
This would have more a positive end result if I were a female...a young attractive female at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I haven't been to a concert in years and years. But I can say I saw The Who and The Rolling Stones.

What are you going to do when you're too old to Rock and Roll? Mick - Hold my glass. Rolling Stones tour 2019. Can you imagine these guys still going at it. How the hell is Keith Richards still alive?

Carry on.
Both fantastic bands to see! I was never a big The Who fan, but I'd love to see The Stones live. I was watching some fantasy show on TV last week that involved magical incantations and the characters on the show were trying to perform a spell that repelled death. One of the side characters asked, "Is this the same spell we did for Keith Richards?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Who are you going to see for that kind of money? I went to a couple of concerts in the last couple of years to see two of my all time favorite bands. The first one cost me $22 a ticket (Less than Jake) and the other was $40, but they were a world famous band (The Cure).

Heck - I saw Huey Lewis and the News a couple of years ago - and it was free.

I'm going to see Tool. Quite possibly my all-time favorite band. I missed them in Knoxville, at a very small venue back in the 90's, because the girl I was going with took someone else at the last minute, I missed them at Bonaroo due to work, I missed them in Nashville 3 years ago because I just couldn't justify $300/ticket. They have a new album coming out (their last album was released in 2006), I have the vacation time for work banked, they are playing relatively close to me and only doing a handful of shows in the US on this tour; and they don't tour often.

I typically am not a big concert goer unless they are someone worth seeing. I've seen, KISS, Billy Joel (absolutely amazing live, words can't describe), The Righteous Brothers (Unchained Melody in person 20' feet away is definitely a highlight of my young life), Rage Against the Machine, Rusted Root, Wu-Tang, A Perfect Circle (twice last year), The Alabama Shakes and a slew of famous EDM DJ's back in the late 90's/early 2000's during my electronica days.

I imagine The Cure was a great show and I'm sure Huey Lewis was amazing!
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15683.50
ToddinTN504.00
      03-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #10
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
I just saw Disturbed in DC. Wow. What a great show. Such a powerful band. Their version of "Sounds of Silence" is pretty amazing.
cant believe that guy still has pipes like that at 46
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I had no idea he was in his 40's. I came really close to saying "that old" but that's only a few years older than I am.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #12
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
I wanted to go see Greta Van Fleet last year, but those prices! I think they were for $100+ at house of blues. My wife was originally willing to go, but not at that price. Same for Queen: $250 for nosebleed seats. $600+ for 1st balcony? No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #13
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Seriously, he still sounds great. I love listening to them when I'm working out. If "The Game" doesn't make you want to make you run your head through a wall, I don't know what else will!
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      03-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I wanted to go see Greta Van Fleet last year, but those prices! I think they were for $100+ at house of blues. My wife was originally willing to go, but not at that price. Same for Queen: $250 for nosebleed seats. $600+ for 1st balcony? No thanks.
I'm sure Greta Van Fleet would be awesome live. They are one of my favorite newer bands along with Royal Blood and Highly Suspect. The shitty thing is that Ticket Master had the tickets listed for $55-155 the day before they went on sale. The minute they went on sale all the tickets were sold. Good ole Stub Hub managed to snatch them all up. Some of the floor seats at this show are $800+. The nosebleeds at this show after fees were $150.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #15
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post

This would have more a positive end result if I were a female...a young attractive female at that.

How do they know which one you are in the video? You are Jody. Just use your first name and provide no other details. Job done.

I *never* said you'd have to actually follow through....just make the promise. The band will most likely make one of the faces I posted in the original thread with rufi'd rudi and that will be the end of it and you'll still have your free tickets. If not, well, hey, I guess you'll learn something new about the band that you didn't know before.

And that is where the "devaluation" comes into play.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      03-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #16
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I saw TOOL play in 1993 at Lalapalooza in Orlando, FL. They were very good. I cannot fathom that a TOOL ticket would cost that much - are you serious? If I had to guess, I would have gone with 30-40 bucks.

I can discuss concerts all day - I think I attempted to count how many bands I've seen live one time and it was well into the hundreds.
Their fan base has become a bit of an occult type following. It has gotten really crazy in the past few years. Their music has evolved into this whole inward journey of discovering self that has really seemed to resonate with many. It makes sense though. Opiate and Undertow were both great albums, but then follow those up with Lateralus and 10,000 days; then don't release an album for 13 years....it's kinda like a pressure cooker with their fan base. The legal issues they've ran into along with each of the members having separate (very successful) careers away from the band has made it almost impossible for them to get together and make this album, much less tour although they have done random shows here and there.

Each one of them is successful in their own way apart from the band. Maynard is always busy with Puscifer, A Perfect Circle, Jui-Jitsu and his vintner-ing. Adam has done make-up and created props used in a ton of movies such as Jurassic Park, Ghost Busters II, Predator II, Terminator 2, Dances with Wolves and a couple of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Danny.....well....Danny just happens to be the best damn drummer on the planet. Justin their bass player holds 2 Grammy's and was nominated 5 different times for his work with Tool. All in all, each one of the members are incredibly talented in many areas and simply create this entity of progressive psychedelic harmonious fusion of tribal beats and deep lyrics that strike a chord with metalists, druggies, spiritualists and anyone who has ever dealt with hardships in their life.....so pretty much everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #17
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
I saw TOOL play in 1993 at Lalapalooza in Orlando, FL. They were very good. I cannot fathom that a TOOL ticket would cost that much - are you serious? If I had to guess, I would have gone with 30-40 bucks.

I can discuss concerts all day - I think I attempted to count how many bands I've seen live one time and it was well into the hundreds.
I would love to see Tool. though I heard that their last concert Maynard was singing through a bull horn and it really took away from the music. I really liked 10,000 days.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      03-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #18
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
I wonder what a Rush ticket would cost? Would it be an arena, or a smaller venue like Styx and Journey play now? The show I saw in 88 was absolutely great, and Neil Peart is such a master..........(I know, Peart retired and they no longer play together).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #19
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

My wife has become bored with the whole idea, but I've seen Styx for the price of admission to the local county fair for years.

I remember seeing Robert Cray at the local Strawberry festival years ago, back when entrance to that was free! Sitting on a grassy knoll, several strawberry food/drink items in hand, beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon in early Spring!

Still, the most amazing concert event was that weekend just after graduating HS when I worked security for The Dead <dancing bears>
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      03-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #20
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I would love to see Tool. though I heard that their last concert Maynard was singing through a bull horn and it really took away from the music. I really liked 10,000 days.
I can't pretend to hide my excitement. Their music, artwork, easter eggs, etc. are like a never ending rabbit hole. I feel like only their true fans give them the credit they deserve. Their ability to make their work absolute perfection is amazing in itself. Maynard is well know for his on-stage antics. One of the last interviews I saw him in, he noted that he hangs out toward the back of the stage as the band belongs to Adam, Danny and Justin he simply lends his voice to their work. During the A Perfect Circle shows, he hides in the shadows and wears a wig. During the Puscifer shows he is either hidden by a mask or costume of some form last tour it was a suit and luchador mask. From what I understand he still has a stage fright type affliction and this is how he deals with it. He doesn't really consider himself a rock star but some average Joe that is lucky enough to beable to contribute to the work of actual rock stars.

I still can't listen to Wings for Marie or 10,000 Days without it bringing a tear to my eye. The feeling that he manages to capture in those songs can only be appreciated by someone who has lost their way watching their parent suffer and then die. A Perfect Circles Judith (his mothers name) is difficult to listen to if you know the meaning behind the lyrics. I guess this is why I enjoy Tool as much as do. They aren't simply a band that plays music because it sounds good, there is a meaning behind what you are hearing. The name itself was given due to Maynard using the band as a means of dealing with his emotions of what he has gone through in life as a Tool to progress from what he once was.

For those that know little of them, do a little digging and research them. You'll probably end up being a fan.

Case in point:
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #21
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This photo still cracks me up every time I see it.

His social media posts are fantastic. The fact that he trolls the facebook fan pages with pictures of wine making/tasting while they are bitching about wanting to know when the new album is being released is hilarious.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      03-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #22
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Every time I hear about Rush, all I can think about is this guy from the Goldberg's. I absolutely hate Rush, lol.

Appreciate 3
kscarrol8889.50
Run Silent15127.00
UncleWede17962.50