BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Tesla Model 3 AWD impressions after 15 years of BMWs

08-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #23
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
People love to quote how fast the model 3 "feels". In reality it's just the instant torque feeling. The trap speeds on these cars is not impressive. And I think it tops out at 120mph or something.

Main reason I wouldn't get one is that they still overheat or go into limp mode too quick. That's why you never see them setting a lap time, last time a p85 did a lightning lap it got beat by a 200hp Subaru brz
Model 3 also hit thermal limitation on track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=inPaKz6a_kM
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #24
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Speed limit warning is not the same as having a critical piece of information *directly in front of you*.

Tesla is just a huge user interface disaster and no doubt only loved by millennials as they don't know better.

My experience of Tesla in the UK is that owners are 50+ males who want a toy that's safer than a motorbike or young rich kids who love it for the tech.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 06:15 PM   #25
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I have no doubt the thing is quick and strong to 60-80mph, but E cars don't have a ton of topend compared to their impressive 1/4 mile times. I've seen an owner test of the Model 3 at the track and it was doing low 13s@104mph. That means the mags will see low to mid 13s at 102ish. That's impressive; however, a standard 340i 8AT is a low 13 second at 108mph car. 4mph in the 1/4 mile is a pretty steady walk.
To make sure we're doing apples to apples:

Model 3 LR RWD - 265hp
Model 3 LR AWD - 356hp
Model 3 LR AWD Performance - 450hp.

Or:

LR RWD <-> 330i
LR AWD <-> 340i
LR Performance <-> M3

Considering the deliveries of LR AWD non-P started just a couple of weeks ago, you were probably seeing an RWD, which is not a match for 340i in any way.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #26
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
Main reason I wouldn't get one is that they still overheat or go into limp mode too quick. That's why you never see them setting a lap time, last time a p85 did a lightning lap it got beat by a 200hp Subaru brz
This is why one of the things they're working on for Track Mode (unfortunately, seems to be a Performance only feature) is better cooling.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #27
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Tesla is just a huge user interface disaster and no doubt only loved by millennials as they don't know better.

My experience of Tesla in the UK is that owners are 50+ males who want a toy that's safer than a motorbike or young rich kids who love it for the tech.
I'm 46. 46 < 50. Does that mean I'm a millennial?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #28
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I'm 46. 46 < 50. Does that mean I'm a millennial?
That is Gen X, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #29
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

The more I drive the Tesla the more I think this is a one-way street. In the sense that it's pretty easy to go from gas to electric, but going back will be a huge pain. The other day my wife and I went someplace, she was driving, and we were in a C6 Corvette Z06. And I was amazed by how much work she had to do. Shifting, working three pedals, all that crazy noise from the engine and the transmission - and the car was delivering much less than the Tesla. Sure, it has 200hp over the Model 3 AWD, but you just can't get much benefit from that on the street. The 0-20 torque advantage of the electric motor, on the other hand, is very usable in the same conditions.

The best analogy that comes to mind is this. Driving a gas car is like trying to think when you've just woken up and haven't had any caffeine. Now you go get some exercise, have a healthy breakfast and some strong coffee - the way you feel once everything clicks in place is what it is to drive a Tesla. For that, I'm beginning to forgive the vinyl seats and weird look.

But I still need my HUD. I find myself driving stupidly fast and not knowing it too often.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #30
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
The more I drive the Tesla the more I think this is a one-way street. In the sense that it's pretty easy to go from gas to electric, but going back will be a huge pain. The other day my wife and I went someplace, she was driving, and we were in a C6 Corvette Z06. And I was amazed by how much work she had to do. Shifting, working three pedals, all that crazy noise from the engine and the transmission - and the car was delivering much less than the Tesla. Sure, it has 200hp over the Model 3 AWD, but you just can't get much benefit from that on the street. The 0-20 torque advantage of the electric motor, on the other hand, is very usable in the same conditions.

The best analogy that comes to mind is this. Driving a gas car is like trying to think when you've just woken up and haven't had any caffeine. Now you go get some exercise, have a healthy breakfast and some strong coffee - the way you feel once everything clicks in place is what it is to drive a Tesla. For that, I'm beginning to forgive the vinyl seats and weird look.

But I still need my HUD. I find myself driving stupidly fast and not knowing it too often.
Question: What, if any electrical modifications did you have to do in your garage in order to charge it at home, and what did it cost?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #31
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Question: What, if any electrical modifications did you have to do in your garage in order to charge it at home, and what did it cost?
Initial conditions: 200A main panel, standalone one car garage with a carport attached to the side opposite to the house, with the garage used for wife's car.

- Bought a 125ft piece of 6AWG Romex at a Lowe's and a Tesla Wall Charger from eBay
- Dug up a 15ft long 2ft deep trench from the house to the garage (myself with a friend)
- An electrician ran the Romex from a new 60A breaker on the main panel across the basement ceiling to the corner where the trench begins. Then he drilled out the pre-existing hole used by the old 15A wire to the garage (it wasn't done to code, so we decided to get rid of it in the process), brought the new wire out into a conduit laid in the trench, then through the garage wall into a new subpanel in the garage. He connected the old garage wiring to that subpanel and continued running the 6AWG from the subpanel (50A breaker) to the opposite side of the garage, where it went out through the wall into the Tesla charger hung under the carport. I helped him throughout with cable pulls and other small things to speed up the process.
- Finally, I filled the trench with sand and dirt.

Electrician's fee, some cash to the friend for his help, all materials (Romex and Tesla charger two largest line items) - $1250 total. My own time - approximately a full day's worth.

The charger is set to 40A 240V, giving me 32 miles/hour charge rate. The car is parked under or near the carport, the 24ft charger cable is long enough to reach anywhere.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #32
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Initial conditions: 200A main panel, standalone one car garage with a carport attached to the side opposite to the house, with the garage used for wife's car.

- Bought a 125ft piece of 6AWG Romex at a Lowe's and a Tesla Wall Charger from eBay
- Dug up a 15ft long 2ft deep trench from the house to the garage (myself with a friend)
- An electrician ran the Romex from a new 60A breaker on the main panel across the basement ceiling to the corner where the trench begins. Then he drilled out the pre-existing hole used by the old 15A wire to the garage (it wasn't done to code, so we decided to get rid of it in the process), brought the new wire out into a conduit laid in the trench, then through the garage wall into a new subpanel in the garage. He connected the old garage wiring to that subpanel and continued running the 6AWG from the subpanel (50A breaker) to the opposite side of the garage, where it went out through the wall into the Tesla charger hung under the carport. I helped him throughout with cable pulls and other small things to speed up the process.
- Finally, I filled the trench with sand and dirt.

Electrician's fee, some cash to the friend for his help, all materials (Romex and Tesla charger two largest line items) - $1250 total. My own time - approximately a full day's worth.

The charger is set to 40A 240V, giving me 32 miles/hour charge rate. The car is parked under or near the carport, the 24ft charger cable is long enough to reach anywhere.
Thanks. I had heard the $1500 figure thrown around so that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #33
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:

There are quite a few steps from Z06 MT to Model 3 DM.

A colleague has an easier transition from F30 to Model 3 DM, namely, a 330i ZF 8AT to Model 3. The 330i is still in his household, and his comments are that switching between the 2 cars is seamless to him.

The difference between your experience and his is probably that the B46 + ZF 8AT is so brilliant that 0-20/0-30/0-40/0-60 is as seamless and drama-less as an electric motor minus the instant torque.

To him, at Model 3 price points(even after fed credit), the Model 3 DM($43k + tax + fee after fed credit?) is expected to perform better than 330i(which was a base sport acquired for $31k + tax + fees after all incentives), and his impressions of Model 3 have been glowing. Maybe the comparison would be different for 340i versus Model 3.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #34
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
There are quite a few steps from Z06 MT to Model 3 DM.

A colleague has an easier transition from F30 to Model 3 DM, namely, a 330i ZF 8AT to Model 3. The 330i is still in his household, and his comments are that switching between the 2 cars is seamless to him.

The difference between your experience and his is probably that the B46 + ZF 8AT is so brilliant that 0-20/0-30/0-40/0-60 is as seamless and drama-less as an electric motor minus the instant torque.
My previous car was a 2016 F31 328xi (M Sport! Track Pack! For sale now!), and compared to the Model 3 it moves like a tortoise. Your friend's Model 3 is probably single motor, so there's a 90hp difference between his and mine.
Quote:
To him, at Model 3 price points(even after fed credit), the Model 3 DM($43k + tax + fee after fed credit?) is expected to perform better than 330i(which was a base sport acquired for $31k + tax + fees after all incentives), and his impressions of Model 3 have been glowing. Maybe the comparison would be different for 340i versus Model 3.
My math worked out very similarly. I would have stuck with the F31 if I had figured the Tesla costing more in TCO.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #35
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My previous car was a 2016 F31 328xi (M Sport! Track Pack! For sale now!), and compared to the Model 3 it moves like a tortoise. Your friend's Model 3 is probably single motor, so there's a 90hp difference between his and mine.

My math worked out very similarly. I would have stuck with the F31 if I had figured the Tesla costing more in TCO.
Is Model 3 single motor RWD even available now? His should be a dual motor too, but your comment should encourage him to check if his has factory defect that causes only one motor to work(jk).

His experience has been very positive on EV. His wife is driving the 330i now but may switch to a Bolt or Leaf just for the 0-20/0-30 instant torque, and also to spread out the risk just in case Tesla can't make it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #36
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

I thought this was an interesting take on the Model 3 - Review starts at 1:07

Having driven a Model S, I'd agree with this review that a Tesla is a great commuter car, and I think there's a lot of goodness with how Tesla is driving innovation, which is great for the auto industry.

Personally, I'm not ready to go to electric - I'm too nostalgic about cars, the mechanical aspect, sounds, the smell of gas and oil. Oh - and to me, driving is still actually fun, not work.
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      08-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #37
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Is Model 3 single motor RWD even available now? His should be a dual motor too, but your comment should encourage him to check if his has factory defect that causes only one motor to work(jk).
Until July, RWD was the only thing you could get. Once they added the second motor, for a month or so they prioritized Performance models. My AWD non-Performance is one of the first deliveries of that configuration.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #38
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWest View Post
Personally, I'm not ready to go to electric - I'm too nostalgic about cars, the mechanical aspect, sounds, the smell of gas and oil. Oh - and to me, driving is still actually fun, not work.
That's exactly my point: driving the Model 3 is a ton of fun. The only difference is its purified, with no side effects like noise or smell.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #39
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Until July, RWD was the only thing you could get. Once they added the second motor, for a month or so they prioritized Performance models. My AWD non-Performance is one of the first deliveries of that configuration.
Yes u are correct! The colleague confirmed it is LR RWD, whose 0-60 is 5.1 seconds, versus 5.4-5.5 seconds for his 330i RWD, so their two cars are relatively close.

The LR RWD balance and handling are pretty good in corners. How does the DM feel around corners, given it has extra weight/motor in front?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 11:12 PM   #40
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
That's exactly my point: driving the Model 3 is a ton of fun. The only difference is its purified, with no side effects like noise or smell.
You missed my point: I like the noise and smell "side effects", I don't want a purified experience.

And what you call "work" below is what I think is fun. I'm not saying a Tesla isn't fun to drive, it's just not the experience I want.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:15 AM   #41
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Y
The LR RWD balance and handling are pretty good in corners. How does the DM feel around corners, given it has extra weight/motor in front?
The turn-in is good, but if you try to accelerate inside a turn it understeers badly. I believe this is caused by the combination of sucky tires (Michelin Primacy is the OEM tire, bleh) and the unusual weight balance (if I'm not mistaken, RWD is 44/56 and AWD is 46/54). You press the accelerator, the front unloads, the tires start slipping. It's possible RWD would behave better simply because the rear motor would push the tail out resulting in more neutral behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWest View Post
You missed my point: I like the noise and smell "side effects", I don't want a purified experience.

And what you call "work" below is what I think is fun. I'm not saying a Tesla isn't fun to drive, it's just not the experience I want.
No, I didn't miss your point. I just think that our previous driving experience taught us to associate engine noises and gasoline smell with fun, so it's now like a reflex. While in reality, the only kind of fun that can't properly be had without noise and smell is the one you have in bed.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #42
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The turn-in is good, but if you try to accelerate inside a turn it understeers badly. I believe this is caused by the combination of sucky tires (Michelin Primacy is the OEM tire, bleh) and the unusual weight balance (if I'm not mistaken, RWD is 44/56 and AWD is 46/54). You press the accelerator, the front unloads, the tires start slipping. It's possible RWD would behave better simply because the rear motor would push the tail out resulting in more neutral behavior.
Thanks for the candid feedback. That's our experience too test driving a Performance demo, it felt like FWD torque steering at corners! The RWD LR does not seem to exhibit as much drama.

Also thanks for the weight distribution numbers, which are quite hard to find on Tesla website/online.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #43
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No, I didn't miss your point. I just think that our previous driving experience taught us to associate engine noises and gasoline smell with fun, so it's now like a reflex. While in reality, the only kind of fun that can't properly be had without noise and smell is the one you have in bed.
The last statement can be up to personal preference and interpretation.

Do note from E to F chassis, BMW has already tuned down the engine noise and feel significantly due to fuel efficient turbo plus EPS, so the transition from F30(e.g.) to a pure EV is "half-way" when compared tof rom muscle car like Z06 to Model 3.
Appreciate 1
Beek705.50
      08-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #44
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
The last statement can be up to personal preference and interpretation.

Do note from E to F chassis, BMW has already tuned down the engine noise and feel significantly due to fuel efficient turbo plus EPS, so the transition from F30(e.g.) to a pure EV is "half-way" when compared tof rom muscle car like Z06 to Model 3.
THIS! Nothing like a screamer and if she smells good, well that's a nice bonus.