BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 MY2018 Sdrive 1.5 auto

03-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
Tally100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18i Sport Petrol

X1 MY2018 Sdrive 1.5 auto

Hi all

Changed from a manual 320i GT xdrive to X1 auto xdrive 1.5 petrol as I wanted to go back to auto. Question is do I leave in drive when stopped and electric handbrake on or put into Neutral I don't want to stress clutch but not sure

thanks for your views
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

The stop/start should kick in when you stop at a junction or traffic lights etc, thus avoiding stress on your clutch. Also, putting the car into Neutral disengages the clutches, but its a bit of a faff when you restart. I've driven dual clutch auto box cars for the past 6 years (X1, 2 Q3s and an A3) and not had any adverse experience of wear on the clutches. The 18i, 1.5 litre petrol engine, which I drive (18i sDrive, xLine auto) is good for me and not at all underpowered for the size/weight of the X1.

Last edited by oakey46; 03-22-2019 at 04:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally100 View Post
Hi all

Changed from a manual 320i GT xdrive to X1 auto xdrive 1.5 petrol as I wanted to go back to auto. Question is do I leave in drive when stopped and electric handbrake on or put into Neutral I don't want to stress clutch but not sure

thanks for your views
Hello and welcome to the forum.
It is often interesting to read a question and then think, what do I do and what does the manual say?
From reading the manual, it would suggest you leave your car in Stop/start mode, as usual good advice from oakey46 on this. Stop/start will turn off the engine if battery charge is good enough (other factors include electrical load, a/c etc).
Manual suggests you engage the park brake whenever you are stopped , so also when you stop at lights (also prevents blinding driver behind) and interestingly (‘cos I did not realise), the park brake will release automatically when you press the accelerator pedal. The manual says for automatic park brake release to operate; you have to have a steptronic gearbox, the engine must be running, seatbelt on and doors shut. Now I know the diesel X1 have steptronic gearboxes but I read petrol versions have dual clutch which may not have “automatic park brake release”.

What I have not tested is if stop/start is on and I apply parking brake, will the engine stop? or if it has already, will pressing the accelerator start it again and disengage the parking brake automatically. Plenty of scope here for things to go wrong. I have, a couple of times, pressed start button accidentally when stopped in traffic. The car was not happy and having to quickly put gearbox in park and engage parking brake in order to restart felt embarrassing.
I will experiment tomorrow and let you know because currently when coming to a halt at lights I just leave my foot on the brake until ready to go. Lifting my foot off the brake will start the engine if stop/start has stopped it. I only use the park brake when “parking”. Your question has now got me thinking, I used to rage at cars in front who kept their foot on the brake at traffic lights because it can be blinding at night. Now I appear to be a culprit, so I better revisit my approach and test options.

With regard to the clutch, have no fear, modern electronics in automatic gearboxes mean there is no strain on it when stationary with foot or park brake applied. The only time there would be strain is if you were on a hill and left the engine and gearbox trying avoid roll-back for any length of time. The only time I put the gearbox in park or neutral position with engine running is if I know the wait is very temporary and I do not want to turn off the engine, oddly traffic lights don’t count.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-23-2019 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 05:16 AM   #4
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

I have coded the annoying start/stop feature to remember my last setting which has been OFF!
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      03-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Yes, I coded mine to remember last setting also. Now, I feel I am in control, I sometimes switch it on.
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00