BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Free map update

09-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
ejw2011
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 F25 35i, x1 F48 28i

Free map update

For all North America members...

Here is the link for N.A. Route 2019-1 map. It's free to update, no FSC key needed.

https://mega.nz/#!WLolXBZR!GfYMizB4-...kXVomMjHhGVyp0

Just updated to my nav and no issues.
If this is not allowed, web admin can delete this thread. My apologies.
Appreciate 6
6ixSpd5996.50
Proper97.50
gpac0.00
      09-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Which nav system is this for? How do you install it?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
ejw2011
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
Which nav system is this for? How do you install it?
You're kidding me, right.
It's for the x1 or any cars that use the N.A. route map version.

To install:

1) Download compressed file.
2) Unzip/uncompress file.
3) Copy the entire contents from the subfolder NAVDxxxx (not the folder) to the root of a 32gb usb drive fomatted to fat32.
4) Stick the usb drive in the center console and turn on car accessories power.
5) Idrive screen will ask if you want to update to new version and click yes.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      09-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw2011 View Post
You're kidding me, right.
It's for the x1 or any cars that use the N.A. route map version.

To install:

1) Download compressed file.
2) Unzip/uncompress file.
3) Copy the entire contents from the subfolder NAVDxxxx (not the folder) to the root of a 32gb usb drive fomatted to fat32.
4) Stick the usb drive in the center console and turn on car accessories power.
5) Idrive screen will ask if you want to update to new version and click yes.
Ah, no. I'm asking because supposedly on my car, the update is over the air, so I'm wondering if it applies for all vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
ejw2011
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You can always try the USB method. If it doesn't promt on idrive screen then you can only update via ota.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
augkor
Rep
Drives: No BMW Yet

I tried this and when I put the USB drive into the center console nothing happens. Are there different versions of the nav system? I have a 2016 X1 with technology pkg (larger screen).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by augkor View Post
I tried this and when I put the USB drive into the center console nothing happens. Are there different versions of the nav system? I have a 2016 X1 with technology pkg (larger screen).
I wonder the same thing, but this is apparently too stupid of a question to ask.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 02:54 AM   #8
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

It might be different in North America but, for mine in the UK, I download via my Connected Drive portal. To start the download and subsequently extract the files onto a USB dongle I have to enter the 7 digit part of my X1 VIN, which personalises the download for my car. Could it be, I wonder, that the reason people may be having problems with updating their Navigation maps, as outlined in this thread, is because the car doesn't recognise an 'unpersonalised' download. Just a thought!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #9
ejw2011
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Augkor send me a pm
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #10
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

US does not have option to download maps via ConnectedDrive. Once BMW started doing OTA with other models they seem to have not kept a method of getting map updates easily available for those that still require USB.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
Heathwood
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: X1 X-Drive 20i Med Blue

Seemed to happen automatically for me, without any need for USB stick.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:15 AM   #12
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Awesome! This whole time I have been looking for FSC codes to update my family's 2016 X1's maps from the ancient original ones that don't even have our neighborhood... No wonder none of the FSC vendors responded to my inquiries - it's not even needed!

Update went off without a hitch and it has all the missing roads now.

FYI, I've noticed on most F series BMWs that a NTFS formatted USB works instead of FAT/FAT32. I've had no success updating various 2019 map versions (NBT, HU_Entry, etc) with FAT formatted discs but NTFS worked every single time.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 01:20 AM   #13
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

I have never got maps updated OTA , but done 3 updates easily using usb now running 2019-02
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 03:01 AM   #14
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw2011 View Post
For all North America members...

Here is the link for N.A. Route 2019-1 map. It's free to update, no FSC key needed.

https://mega.nz/#!WLolXBZR!GfYMizB4-...kXVomMjHhGVyp0

Just updated to my nav and no issues.
If this is not allowed, web admin can delete this thread. My apologies.
O.k. Just to help with obvious confusion .

‘Route” maps are for X1 (F48) cars made from launch date until approx 07/2017 [cars with ENTRYNAV HeadUnits] . Not for cars made from 07/2017 will have “way” maps [ENTRYNAV2 HeadUnits]. You can tell which version you have by going into the navigation menu. All cars should be able to update their mapping using USB method. OTA updates are single country update anyway, so if you have North America Maps then the advantage of USB update is you will update US and Canada (presume Mexico also).

In order to use USB updates your USB must be in FAT32 format (not exFAT or NTFS). You will need to save file to a computer first and unzip it, do not save download map file direct to the USB. The unzipped file should be in a folder called NAVDxxx_xxx [xxx are file version references] which you will then need save to the USB route directory not into a named folder. As an example if your USB is showing as E:// on your computer then save the download file to E:// NOT E://any name.
Finally if your USB is not in the right FAT32 format then reformat it but please note you will only be able to format a USB easily in FAT32 format if it is 32gb or less in size . Formatting a USB above 32gb into FAT32 format requires tools / special programme which will partition the drive.

If you get format right then just insert the USB into slot and car will read and automatically start update process, i.e. it will see map, check if it is more recent than current version and ask you if you wish to install. If you are plugging your USB into slot and nothing happens it will probably be because the USB is in wrong format or your download maps have not been saved to the USB route directory or your car has more recent “Way” maps not “Route” mapping.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-20-2019 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 03:18 AM   #15
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
US does not have option to download maps via ConnectedDrive. Once BMW started doing OTA with other models they seem to have not kept a method of getting map updates easily available for those that still require USB.
Are you sure maps cannot be updated via USB?
OTA around the world are normally single country update only (certainly the case in Europe], so US rather than North America. I accept IF USB download is no longer possible in US then whole NA Region may be being updated OTA.

All X1 should be able to update via USB but it requires USB to be in correct format and maps saved to route directory. If format and location are correct the car will read the USB and automatically check to see if map is more recent and ask if you wish to install. If USB is in wrong format or maps put into a folder rather than the main route directory or you have different map version then nothing will happen. Download maps must be saved to a computer first and extracted (they are partially zipped). I understand extracted files will be in a folder called NAVDxxx_xxx [xxx are map versions references] which you then copy usb route directory.

My note of caution is purely that BMW do change things and it may be possible that they have gone with “OTA only model” for US F48 map updates. I think it very unlikely however that they would prevent usb updates.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-20-2019 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #16
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

Updates must be purchased through the accessory store at multiple hundreds of dollars each. Dealers will not update the maps for free, and they are not available in the US ConnectedDrive store.

It's not that you can't update over USB, it's they've made it extremely expensive and painful to do so.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #17
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

Anyway to upload this to another host? Google drive?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #18
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
Updates must be purchased through the accessory store at multiple hundreds of dollars each. Dealers will not update the maps for free, and they are not available in the US ConnectedDrive store.

It's not that you can't update over USB, it's they've made it extremely expensive and painful to do so.
Yes, I totally agree with your comments, however I believe our lines are crossed. Usb map updates in US cars is possible if you have right maps in right format. If you are correct and BMW has completely stopped providing this format then I am surprised, it could certainly prove problematic for people outside a 3G/4G cell network and indeed for dealers.

I download maps for Europe from “connected drive” onto usb and the files include an fsc file and are VIN specific (or so it says?), I wonder how this security feature is being by-passed?

Last edited by MJE60; 03-21-2019 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #19
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

Thank you! This worked very easily!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #20
rameer
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
O.k. Just to help with obvious confusion .

‘Route” maps are for X1 (F48) cars made from launch date until approx 07/2017 [cars with ENTRYNAV HeadUnits] . Not for cars made from 07/2017 will have “way” maps [ENTRYNAV2 HeadUnits]. You can tell which version you have by going into the navigation menu. All cars should be able to update their mapping using USB method. OTA updates are single country update anyway, so if you have North America Maps then the advantage of USB update is you will update US and Canada (presume Mexico also).

In order to use USB updates your USB must be in FAT32 format (not exFAT or NTFS). You will need to save file to a computer first and unzip it, do not save download map file direct to the USB. The unzipped file should be in a folder called NAVDxxx_xxx [xxx are file version references] which you will then need save to the USB route directory not into a named folder. As an example if your USB is showing as E:// on your computer then save the download file to E:// NOT E://any name.
Finally if your USB is not in the right FAT32 format then reformat it but please note you will only be able to format a USB easily in FAT32 format if it is 32gb or less in size . Formatting a USB above 32gb into FAT32 format requires tools / special programme which will partition the drive.

If you get format right then just insert the USB into slot and car will read and automatically start update process, i.e. it will see map, check if it is more recent than current version and ask you if you wish to install. If you are plugging your USB into slot and nothing happens it will probably be because the USB is in wrong format or your download maps have not been saved to the USB route directory or your car has more recent “Way” maps not “Route” mapping.
Hi,

Can you help me with this.

I have downloaded the zip file and extracted it and saved the contents of the folder to the root drive (not the folder itself). I have formatted the USB to FAT32. When I plugged in the USB to the center console and turned on accessories nothing happened. I checked my maps to make sure I have “north America Route”

I have 2016 X1 (F48)

Thanks ina advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:05 AM   #21
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameer View Post
Hi,

I have downloaded the zip file and extracted it and saved the contents of the folder to the root drive (not the folder itself). I have formatted the USB to FAT32. When I plugged in the USB to the center console and turned on accessories nothing happened. I checked my maps to make sure I have “north America Route”

I have 2016 X1 (F48)

Thanks ina advance.
Save the whole extracted folder directly to the route drive and try again. Before this, go to your nav menu and check what map version you have, it should have “route” somewhere in the name. If it is correct map for your car and usb is still not being read and update started then I am sorry but can offer no further advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:12 AM   #22
rameer
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

I have 2016 X1 (F48)

Thanks ina advance.
Save the whole extracted folder directly to the route drive and try again. Before this, go to your nav menu and check what map version you have, it should have "route" somewhere in the name. If it is correct map for your car and usb is still not being read and update started then I am sorry but can offer no further advice.
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

I have downloaded the zip file and extracted it and saved the contents of the folder to the root drive (not the folder itself). I have formatted the USB to FAT32. When I plugged in the USB to the center console and turned on accessories nothing happened. I checked my maps to make sure I have "north America Route"

I have 2016 X1 (F48)

Thanks ina advance.
Save the whole extracted folder directly to the route drive and try again. Before this, go to your nav menu and check what map version you have, it should have "route" somewhere in the name. If it is correct map for your car and usb is still not being read and update started then I am sorry but can offer no further advice.
Thanks for your quick response. I made sure I have Route maps for my IDrive before downloading it. I will copy the NAV folder to USB and see if it will work. If not, Someone suggested using NTFS format instead of FAT32. I will try that one too.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0