BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) weird audio thing happened

01-11-2023, 10:22 PM   #1
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

weird audio thing happened

So today I was on a call and stopped the car. While i was on the call I was playing on my phone. Now when I hung up the call then I see the dialing call menu pop up, but the weird thing is that it's my own number. Now on my phone there isn't anything going on at all, and I can't actually click end call or hang up, it did nothing.

Another call came in and it rang and i finished that call, and it happened again. This time I flipped on a game quickly as I thought I might be waiting for the person I was picking up, but then I quickly turned it off as they arrived. The music of the game was playing over the speakers as well as any notification.

Very odd as this is the first time ever. Thoughts on what actually happened?!?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 07:00 AM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

This still happened yesterday.. I'm confused as to an update or setting change. My phone didn't have any update.. but I do know bmw can and has pushed updates to my car over the years. I had to turn on and off my Bluetooth just to get my radio back on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 09:07 AM   #3
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

It's a little hard to follow exactly what happened, is it just that the dialing menu keeps popping up? Also, you don't say what phone and how it's connected (iPhone and CarPlay?).

My Android, just paired via bluetooth and not set as an audio source, pretty much behaves as expected, calls come in over the headunit and I can dial out the same way. I only select it as an audio source when I'm listening to a podcast or something, but it doesn't pop the dialing menu unexpectedly.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 09:42 AM   #4
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Sorry for the bad descriptions okay so let's try to summarize this better:
Android phone (Samsung S21 Ultra) Connected via bluetooth only to the car. Settings that can be toggled is bluetooth phone and media (which I think might be default, but I didn't change it). NO carplay every flipped on or activated or touched by an apple device

1)Get onto a phone call.
2) This "seems" to be if I actually use my phone to flip to something else that isn't my wayze gps during the call.
3) Hang up call.
4) See a "dialing or call in progress" start with the numbers go as if it is connected. The number it's calling is my own cell phone number.
5) NO other audio from my car, all the audio is coming from my phone as if it's a live extension of my phone.
6) CANNOT hang up call or pause/hold/resume that is in the call menu.

I did not change anything in the car.
I CAN play media through my phone but it has to be selected through my media/radio button. This is definitely not what's happening because of this phone call menu. Plus when connected for media I do NOT get pings and notification sounds that my phone makes. Ie can hear it on the phone but NOT through the car speakers.

I had another quick 30 second or less call today while I was driving and it behaved/hung up like normal. I wasn't touching/doing anything on my phone. It seemed that these last two times I had already parked my car and started doing work/playing on my phone before it hung up and this is what caused this incident.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 10:00 AM   #5
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

>> 3) Hang up call.

Is this from the steering wheel, the phone, or the headunit? I wonder if something thinks you want to start a conference call and is putting the call on hold, to connect the third line?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 10:39 AM   #6
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Hang up call I believe I used the steering wheel once, and at least once they hung up on me first.

The Idrive wheel/controls do not work either.

For me I only know how to conference/add a call via my phone to hit the "add call" I don't know how to do it through the menu's themselves as the phone button on the steering wheel I think turns from either pickup or hangup, but no other options?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 07:48 PM   #7
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry, out of ideas.

I had an audio issue that I posted about here a ways back, that my dealer couldn't reproduce so I took a video (two or three, actually) showing it happening. They were very responsive, and replaced a component under warranty. It's been ok since, but neither the dealer or I am convinced it's truly gone.

I really wish BMW had put more effort into some of the technology in the X2. I love that it's a driver's car, but at the same time the tech is so... limited.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 09:23 PM   #8
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for even trying to reply! It really makes me scratch my head! I would say that Idrive isn't so bad for what it is, it is weird that we got the "older" version of the idrive when the car was "newer" when I got it. Ie I think we had 6 when it had already been 7 going onto 8 in 2022. Ah well.. as we've already complained, lots of the lower model cars and brands are catching up with the tech, but BMW seems to be letting that just slide unless you get the newest of new electric cars etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 09:48 AM   #9
halrms
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i

I have had the same problem twice. Don't know why but I rebooted my phone and problem resolved
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 11:22 AM   #10
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

I think I figured out a trend to this issue.

It seems that when my phone is used for certain apps it will use the audio of the car like it's supposed to: Ie whatsapp video/phone calls, Zoom, and microsoft meetings. I was on a meeting the other day and had to travel so I did it through the car and it connected fine. When I ended the call the same thing happened.. but I noticed that it was still running in the background. After I ended it it took a moment (or minute) and then it actually went to sleep and then all was good. So I'm sure it's a small glitch in my phone itself where any app (or game) or something is still piping the audio out and the car thinks it should be receiving this. I guess I don't get much opportunity to do these things while I'm driving/in the car. Most of what I use is a straight phone call and have the GPS Wayze or Google Maps app running in the background. Both the GPS apps are not set to use my car speakers, and thus this is why it has never "taken over" the audio to the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 10:05 AM   #11
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hmm, this makes sense. All those apps register as audio players and therefore can maintain their audio streams when they are placed in the background. It's odd, however, that the car starts prompting you for a new call when the old one ends.

Try force-terminating them with a swipe-up instead of navigating away, and see if it behaves differently?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 11:34 AM   #12
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Yeah I tried to force terminate things but that phone kept a hold of the car. It might have taken more time but I was busy trying to terminate it via the car buttons.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 02:16 AM   #13
josemenf
Spain
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I’ve been having issues with CarPlay. My dealer installed it after purchasing and it changes the sound output. When CarPlay starts, I have to manually switch the sound output in the iPhone to Bluetooth in order it to work. In addition, the touch screen doesn’t work with CarPlay and I can’t use WhatsApp to read/send messages, I can’t use Siri (it doesn’t detect the voice). Have anyone had this situation?
Appreciate 0