08-04-2021, 10:05 PM   #45
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall2314 View Post
I just bought a 2021 X1, F48 and it has lumbar support listed as an option (also other things like Head up display and cornering lights) but it does have the Sensatac seats. That being said, I traded my 2018 430i with M sport and Premium seats because they hurt my back and my wife's. We only drove to and from our little town (12 miles) and it hurt her. I went and test drove a 2021 X1 because it sat higher than my 430i Gran Coupe and it made a world of difference. We just went on a trip that was 12 hours one way and back and we had NO issue with comfort. That's my opinion. I loved the 430i but this X1 has delivered comfort, fuel economy (33-36 mpg) and still has the same twin turbo I enjoyed in my 430i. I miss that car but this has been the best replacement I could imagine.
I believe you have the same seats that were in the X1 we test drove. Well, what works for one, doesn't for another. Imagine being a seat designer! What I find interesting is that your 430 is quite a step up from an X1, I would ordinarily have thought better seats come with a higher luxo car so I am a bit surprised but it is what it is.

Thanks for your post, I found it interesting and maybe we need to re-drive the X1 we did and see if the results are the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 12:05 AM   #46
konidamper9
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster, 2021 X1

I test drove a 2021 X1 in NY with standard seats and was "meh" for me, too flat, not exciting. So I ordered the M package and was shocked at how much the M seats changed the X1 feel.

Side bolsters on driver side are adjustable which was a surprise, couple that with the leather and its is SUPER nice, almost as "race-y" as my old Z4M seats.

Been driving it for 6 months, absolutely no complaints, my wife and I love it.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #47
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by konidamper9 View Post
I test drove a 2021 X1 in NY with standard seats and was "meh" for me, too flat, not exciting. So I ordered the M package and was shocked at how much the M seats changed the X1 feel.

Side bolsters on driver side are adjustable which was a surprise, couple that with the leather and its is SUPER nice, almost as "race-y" as my old Z4M seats.

Been driving it for 6 months, absolutely no complaints, my wife and I love it.
That's what I'm hoping to find though the local dealer said the seat structure/frame is the same as the base model, just covered in leather and with a couple more controls, side bolster, thigh support, lumbar. Seating is so individual, not a one size fits all sort of thing so before I order, I have to try out the M Sport pkg leather seats. I canvass dealer sites on a regular basis in upstate NY, northern PA, etc and so far have only found one and it was already sold so they would not allow others to test drive it. The hunt continues.. ..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #48
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just so we are all on the same page, these are the seats I am looking for.. .. .. This pic is from a white 2021 X1 with the M Sport Pkg. Its currently sitting at a dealer in Albany, NY called BMW of South Albany, just discovered it now.. ..

So when people are saying they like their Sport seats, do they look like these?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #49
Randall2314
Rep
Drives: 2019 330, 81 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I believe you have the same seats that were in the X1 we test drove. Well, what works for one, doesn't for another. Imagine being a seat designer! What I find interesting is that your 430 is quite a step up from an X1, I would ordinarily have thought better seats come with a higher luxo car so I am a bit surprised but it is what it is.

Thanks for your post, I found it interesting and maybe we need to re-drive the X1 we did and see if the results are the same.
I have to agree about the step up on the 430i, it was a classy car and really hated to part with it. And you're right, what works for one may not work for another! We did have the higher seats in the 430 with bolstering but for some reason, because the X1 sits higher, she felt like her legs were normal and in the 430 she felt like she was laying down more and not comfortable which shot right to her lower back. Glad it was helpful, I really do love the X1 as much as I miss the Gran Coupe!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 02:02 PM   #50
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Just so we are all on the same page, these are the seats I am looking for.. .. .. This pic is from a white 2021 X1 with the M Sport Pkg. Its currently sitting at a dealer in Albany, NY called BMW of South Albany, just discovered it now.. ..

So when people are saying they like their Sport seats, do they look like these?
Yeah they're the same in terms of fit and design. They must've changed the details over the years. In 2017 the back had purforated leather, contrast stitching, and the M tricolors on the piping. But the design of the seat looks the same. They're quite comfortable unless you're a wide person. Keep in mind the X1 is a narrow vehicle and as a result the seats are narrower too. But if you're slim or medium set they're quite comfortable and have a large range of adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #51
Alex Med
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

2020 20i M-Sport and seats look like this. It feels comfy with side bolsters and heating when it's needed, but my back sweats after a couple of hours of driving under the hot sun, even with A/C on. Can't say much about long trips, because my back hurts no matter what I'm sitting in (car/train/plane).

Sport seats without blue accents look kinda boring to me.

By the way, the car feels totally fine. Sometimes in comfortable mode pedal reaction is too slow, but sport mode with S mode gearbox gives you what you expect and it's a pleasure to drive. I wonder how the 25/28 version feels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #52
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Med View Post
2020 20i M-Sport and seats look like this. It feels comfy with side bolsters and heating when it's needed, but my back sweats after a couple of hours of driving under the hot sun, even with A/C on. Can't say much about long trips, because my back hurts no matter what I'm sitting in (car/train/plane).

Sport seats without blue accents look kinda boring to me.

By the way, the car feels totally fine. Sometimes in comfortable mode pedal reaction is too slow, but sport mode with S mode gearbox gives you what you expect and it's a pleasure to drive. I wonder how the 25/28 version feels.
Nice looking seats!!! In the USA, they are not offered Maybe we need to wait for the next refresh....Ugh!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #53
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Nice looking seats!!! In the USA, they are not offered Maybe we need to wait for the next refresh....Ugh!
Then it might not happen in the USA. Each BMW Franchise has its own way at bundling different options for what the market will stand.

Those seats are more or less the same as my 2020 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport, except the seat base doesn't have that pattern.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-07-2021 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #54
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Then it might not happen in the USA. Each BMW Franchise has its own way at bundling different options for what the market will stand.

Those seats are more or less the same as my 2020 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport, except the seat base doesn't have that pattern.
Yeah, I know. I often see options on European BMW sites that I like and are not available in the US. BMW NA must still think American's want boring cars that float on clouds.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #55
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I often see options on European BMW sites that I like and are not available in the US. BMW NA must still think American's want boring cars that float on clouds.
We have the same the opposite way round. In our case, we cannot specify all-season tyres, whereas you can.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #56
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We have the same the opposite way round. In our case, we cannot specify all-season tyres, whereas you can.
I've lived in Kent, why do you need all seasons? Loved it there, simply loved it. Maybe you're up north where they get snow.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #57
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've lived in Kent, why do you need all seasons? Loved it there, simply loved it. Maybe you're up north where they get snow.
So did I! In Maidstone. Who said I needed all seasons? It was an example of the differences when it comes to different franchises. By the way, I used to travel to Scotland up the A9 past Perth and through Drumochter Pass.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 03:46 PM   #58
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So did I! In Maidstone. Who said I needed all seasons? It was an example of the differences when it comes to different franchises. By the way, I used to travel to Scotland up the A9 past Perth and through Drumochter Pass.
Ha! I lived in Maidstone too Sometimes its scary just how small the world is. I was just off of London Rd on Somerfield Rd. Stayed there for a couple of years. Loved it. Worked at BAE in Rochester. Perfect location! Miss it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 04:43 AM   #59
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ha! I lived in Maidstone too Sometimes its scary just how small the world is. I was just off of London Rd on Somerfield Rd. Stayed there for a couple of years. Loved it. Worked at BAE in Rochester. Perfect location! Miss it.
I lived in Frithwood Close in Downswood near Otham Church for 5 years. The other side of Maidstone to where you lived. I was an aircraft engineer and travelled to the Royal Arsenal East in Woolwich, South London every day. I headed an oil analysis laboratory. It was the RAF Spectrometric Oil Analysis Program abbreviated as SOAP. I kid you not.

We had sophisticated spectrometers that were used to analyse oil samples taken on a regular basis from the RAF's aircraft fleet of helicopters, some fast jets and transmissions and also vehicles .
We are talking piston and gas turbine engines large and small.
We also analyzed fuel samples etc and aided investigations into accidents.

You can now see why I am sceptical about all the rubbish posted on forums about changing oil in engines after 12 months. We used to monitor all oils on a 50 hour basis for wear metals and advised RAF stations/Units on the state of their fleets. Conditioning Monitoring. The idea and it was the best way to go was to save a lot of money on oil and monitor wear in engines.
We carried out a lot of work for oil companies developing lubricating oils.

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-08-2021 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #60
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I lived in Frithwood Close in Downswood near Otham Church for 5 years. The other side of Maidstone to where you lived. I was an aircraft engineer and travelled to the Royal Arsenal East in Woolwich, South London every day. I headed an oil analysis laboratory. It was the RAF Spectrometric Oil Analysis Program abbreviated as SOAP. I kid you not.

We had sophisticated spectrometers that were used to analyse oil samples taken on a regular basis from the RAF's aircraft fleet of helicopters, some fast jets and transmissions and also vehicles .
We are talking piston and gas turbine engines large and small.
We also analyzed fuel samples etc and aided investigations into accidents.

You can now see why I am sceptical about all the rubbish posted on forums about changing oil in engines after 12 months. We used to monitor all oils on a 50 hour basis for wear metals and advised RAF stations/Units on the state of their fleets. Conditioning Monitoring. The idea and it was the best way to go was to save a lot of money on oil and monitor wear in engines.
We carried out a lot of work for oil companies developing lubricating oils.
Just sent you a PM.. ..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 11:11 PM   #61
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
So BMW must have taken them away from US specs as those are the ones we have in our 2018 M-Sport (albeit all black). Strange...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 04:02 PM   #62
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

I have an executive package with the thicker glass (so it says) Canadian Version since January 2019. I was disappointed that there's no blind spot detection system however visibility is amazing. I don't like and use Android Auto of Apple Car Play. I have all the other options and frankly I've never had blind spot detection; I've learnt to adjust my mirrors and do a shoulder check. Most of those gadgets don't work in bad weather anyway such as Intelligent Cruise Control. And up here in Montreal, QC we have a lot of bad winter weather and this vehicle is amazing in winter. Warms up fast. The heated seats are perfect. I'm 65 years old and have had so many new and used cars in the past I've lost track, but I can tell you this, my 2018 X1 is the first vehicle that I've owned that hasn't been back to the dealer for a warranty issue. None, Nada, Niet. Best new vehicle I've ever owned. Some people that like Audi's and their cool screens like in the Q3 of Q5 and don't know Bimmers don't realize how much cool tech is included in the infotainment system including the cool app and navigation system. The Heads Up display. The small screen at the bottom too. And you can hire a programmer to add and customize options like the LED lights. I made the LED DRL Halos brighter so that I sometime drive down well lit small roads without blinding people. I added LED fogs, front turns and rear turns. I added Pioneer Tweeters in the door where the HK's would go. I didn't get the HK system...and I added a Pioneer powered sub in the trunk/boot underneath the cover. It's velcroed to the floor and the controller box fit inside the coin box that's under the dash. I also had the engine power programmed....similar to a Dinan ECU program. My X1 is amazing. I like the original analogue gauges and for those who prefer the computer graphic gauges have a look at the M2...very similar. I like the BMW interior and dash design... There's a lot of soft touch material instead of hard plastic.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #63
Alex Med
Rep

The only thing that disappoints me in this car is lack of soundproofing. I wasn't expecting such noise from a premium brand. I understand that X1 is the lowest in the line and feels like first step into bimmer world but still...
I need to raise my voice at ~70 mp/h so the front passenger could hear me clearly.
I saw some people doing extra soundproofing and it's doesn't change much.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #64
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorbitman View Post
I have an executive package with the thicker glass (so it says) Canadian Version since January 2019. I was disappointed that there's no blind spot detection system however visibility is amazing. I don't like and use Android Auto of Apple Car Play. I have all the other options and frankly I've never had blind spot detection; I've learnt to adjust my mirrors and do a shoulder check. Most of those gadgets don't work in bad weather anyway such as Intelligent Cruise Control. And up here in Montreal, QC we have a lot of bad winter weather and this vehicle is amazing in winter. Warms up fast. The heated seats are perfect. I'm 65 years old and have had so many new and used cars in the past I've lost track, but I can tell you this, my 2018 X1 is the first vehicle that I've owned that hasn't been back to the dealer for a warranty issue. None, Nada, Niet. Best new vehicle I've ever owned. Some people that like Audi's and their cool screens like in the Q3 of Q5 and don't know Bimmers don't realize how much cool tech is included in the infotainment system including the cool app and navigation system. The Heads Up display. The small screen at the bottom too. And you can hire a programmer to add and customize options like the LED lights. I made the LED DRL Halos brighter so that I sometime drive down well lit small roads without blinding people. I added LED fogs, front turns and rear turns. I added Pioneer Tweeters in the door where the HK's would go. I didn't get the HK system...and I added a Pioneer powered sub in the trunk/boot underneath the cover. It's velcroed to the floor and the controller box fit inside the coin box that's under the dash. I also had the engine power programmed....similar to a Dinan ECU program. My X1 is amazing. I like the original analogue gauges and for those who prefer the computer graphic gauges have a look at the M2...very similar. I like the BMW interior and dash design... There's a lot of soft touch material instead of hard plastic.
I had a 2003 E46 I felt the same way about, that car was pretty much near perfect, now my son has it and loves it. Thing is, that E46 costs the same in 2003 as building a new 2021 X1 with all the trimmings
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 05:00 PM   #65
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only thing that disappoints me in this car is lack of soundproofing. I wasn't expecting such noise from a premium brand. I understand that X1 is the lowest in the line and feels like first step into bimmer world but still...
I need to raise my voice at ~70 mp/h so the front passenger could hear me clearly.
I think I understand as I too thought the one I test drove (2021) was noisier than I expected it to be. When they're new and on new tires, that's the quietest they will ever be.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 06:13 PM   #66
Jack Watts
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
After I ditched the runflat tires, the car was actually very quiet. The horrible tires are the biggest issue.
Appreciate 1
dianebrat109.50