BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Display Apple CarPlay on start up

01-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #1
West17th
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Display Apple CarPlay on start up

I have a 2020 X2 and an iPhone 11 paired with the car. Apple CarPlay works but I want it to show on the iDrive screen upon startup. At the moment I have to assign a hotkey (1, 2, 3, etc) to get it to the Communication sub-menu so that I can toggle CarPlay on.

Does anyone know how I can set it so that I just start the car and CarPlay shows on screen without going through menus?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

You should see the CarPlay icon in the lower leftmost corner of the screen, click that and Carplay opens up, much easier than your current workaround.
If you have an open CarPlay capable app on the phone when you enter the car it will frequently go to that screen when it connects, but not if there's no active CarPlay app.

Other than those there is currently no way to make a CarPlay the default interface upon connection since the iDrive boots far faster than it negotiating the Carplay connections.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Mine randomly decides to do it occasionally which drives me crazy because I don’t want it. Maybe the answer is to not want it and you’ll get it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Mine randomly decides to do it occasionally which drives me crazy because I don’t want it. Maybe the answer is to not want it and you’ll get it.
Mine does that too, irritating. I just hit the back button.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
West17th
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
You should see the CarPlay icon in the lower leftmost corner of the screen, click that and Carplay opens up, much easier than your current workaround.
If you have an open CarPlay capable app on the phone when you enter the car it will frequently go to that screen when it connects, but not if there's no active CarPlay app.

Other than those there is currently no way to make a CarPlay the default interface upon connection since the iDrive boots far faster than it negotiating the Carplay connections.
Ah, that's useful thanks - all I need do is have Google Maps, Waze or whatever open as I walk in then and off it goes. I'll look for it in the lower leftmost corner of iDrive, I've yet to see it.
Appreciate 0