X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 clutch issue

01-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
Darola
Rep
Drives: 420D M Sport plus Gran Coupe

X1 clutch issue

Longish saga. Car is an X1 xdrive. registered June 2018. Brought from the Oxford BMW (ex demo) in April 2019 with 6k on the clock. Now just turned 18k. Wife does an 80/90 mile round trip to work - mostly A road and motorway - hence has done 12k in 8 months.

2 weeks ago a "drive train" alert came up, dealer had it for the day and after diagnosis (oxygen sensor) didn't have the parts so gave us the car back. When they returned the car they also gave us the usual "health check" sheet, pointing out chips on alloys etc. They then had it back for the day on Friday and replaced the sensor and returned the car - with no error. Repeat "health check" sheet reporting no mechanical issues. Next day the error message came back on, so took it back in. This time they called up to say that the car had been reporting a clutch issue - new to us! Apparently we should have seen it on the dashboard as it first flagged 400 miles ago??! Only alert we've seen is the drive train one. They've determined that this issue is a side effect of the clutch, and to diagnose it they need to remove the gear box. Claiming it could be wear and tear and not under warranty. If it is wear and tear we have to pay £1200 for the removal of the gearbox. We've argued this quite firm and got them to back down to we'll remove it and take it from there.

Our issues.
1. Should the clutch go after 18k on an 18mth old car?
2. Why didn't the flag the error on the clutch on the 2 previous "health check" reports?
3. Why didn't we get an alert on the dashboard, when they claim we should have - and somehow can't prove we didn't!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Can't necessarily speak for BMW clutches, but in general they should last WAY longer, especially on a newer car. Only way it would have worn this quickly is if someone was resting their foot on the pedal whilst driving, therefore (potentially) partially disengaging the clutch, and causing slippage.

For reference, I bought a 2003 G35 6 years ago with 88k miles on it (unknown mileage on the clutch). I just sold it with 138k on it, and plenty of clutch drops and burnouts, and not once did the clutch ever have signs of slipping. That's 50k worth of driving on a previously used clutch over 6 years.

If the error was for the drive train, then how is the clutch not considered part of that...? Seems to me like the dealer is trying to weasel their way out of paying for a new clutch.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 02:32 AM   #3
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Is your car manual or automatic? I've never heard of clutch issues on automatic in my life
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 06:49 AM   #4
Darola
Rep

Manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:34 AM   #5
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

I've never had a clutch fail on any car I have owned, and some have done 120k miles in my care.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #6
Darola
Rep

Latest: BMW have confirmed that the clutch and flywheel need to be replaced, but have conceded that it should last longer on a car of its age, condition and mileage. So will fix it under warranty 🥳
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #7
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darola View Post
Latest: BMW have confirmed that the clutch and flywheel need to be replaced, but have conceded that it should last longer on a car of its age, condition and mileage. So will fix it under warranty ��
The flywheel will have to be replaced, in addition to the clutch, because it is a dual mass flywheel (DMF, which is more cost effective to build, I understand). I had a similar issue with the DMF on an Audi giving up the ghost early on and that was covered under warranty, with the clutch and release bearing also being changed. I wonder if the DMF might be at the root of the problem and here's a link to a Wikipedia page that gives a reasonably straightforward explanation of that component: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-mass_flywheel.

Last edited by oakey46; 01-08-2020 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:25 AM   #8
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Dual mass flywheels allow higher gearing and improved mpg with less body vibration at low rpm or “Chugging”.