BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) UK/Europe Map Update 2019-2

04-16-2019, 04:56 AM   #23
JackX1
Registered
Rep
Drives: F48

2016 X1 EntryNav with HUD

I also have a 2016 entry nav with HUD. Which is great, except for the lack of map updates. I have been chasing BMW about this for months, and been given different advice and dates, which have again slipped to June 2019. I have asked BMWconnected drive how I can escalate this within BMW for action. Seems that I have been penalised for choosing enhanced HUD satnav and also getting ridiculously poor value for the satnav update period.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:07 AM   #24
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackX1 View Post
I also have a 2016 entry nav with HUD. Which is great, except for the lack of map updates. I have been chasing BMW about this for months, and been given different advice and dates, which have again slipped to June 2019. I have asked BMWconnected drive how I can escalate this within BMW for action. Seems that I have been penalised for choosing enhanced HUD satnav and also getting ridiculously poor value for the satnav update period.
Same here. Just coming up 3 years old at the end of the month - will I be renewing any of my Connected drive services? I think not. Have had email conversations with BMW but of course no joy - update due soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #25
Edtheted
Edtheted
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 1.8 sDrive xLine auto

Garage List
This is the response I got from BMW

"Good Morning Mr Priest

Thank you for your email and sorry for the delayed response

After looking into this further and speaking to the map development team, we can confirm that there will only be 1-2 map updates available for your vehicle per year due to the head unit that is installed in the car.

The next Map update for your navigation system will be available around June 2019 and will be obtainable for download via your ConnectedDrive portal through our website. This will be the 2019-1 version.

For clarification purposes, please note that the number of available map data downloads varies for each BMW model depending on the head unit that is installed in the vehicle.

We realise this may cause some disappointment and an inconvenience until the map data is available, but hopefully this clarifies the situation.

We can only ask for your continued patience until the next download is available.

In the meantime if there's anything else you'd like assistance with, please let us know.

Kind regards

BMW Connected Drive"
      04-25-2019, 04:07 PM   #26
cryze
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 sDrive 18d

By the way for those waiting that haven't checked yet, Europe Route 2019-2 East/West is available for download on BMW Download Manager.
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
      04-27-2019, 12:40 AM   #27
Phobia
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i M Sport

Can confirm that I now can download two different packages - Europe Route 2019-2 East, or Europe Route 2019-2 West.
So, what package should I download? I live in north Europe
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 03:44 AM   #28
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobra View Post
Can confirm that I now can download two different packages - Europe Route 2019-2 East, or Europe Route 2019-2 West.
So, what package should I download? I live in north Europe
Europe West for detailed Norway mapping.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 05:36 AM   #29
alpinaconvert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2016 Xdrive Xline

I've been able to download 2019-2 but cannot download it to my 64GB flash drive as it doesn't have a FAT32 format. I used the same drive previously. Cannot seem to find a way to format it as Windows says the FAT format max is 32GB. BMW says I need 16GB capacity. Should I then use a smaller USB stick.
Any advice will be most appreciated! Certainly have tried all sorts of Google advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #30
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinaconvert View Post
I've been able to download 2019-2 but cannot download it to my 64GB flash drive as it doesn't have a FAT32 format. I used the same drive previously. Cannot seem to find a way to format it as Windows says the FAT format max is 32GB. BMW says I need 16GB capacity. Should I then use a smaller USB stick.
Any advice will be most appreciated! Certainly have tried all sorts of Google advice.
Hello
I am advised that some people have successfully used NTFS format for usb despite the BMW download app insisting on FAT32. I suggest you try NTFS format otherwise you will need a formatting tool in order to format your 64GB usb into FAT32, because maximum format size for FAT32 is 32GB.

Formatting tools partition larger usb so that it creates multiple FAT32 partitions, unfortunately windows tools do not offer this as standard feature.
Appreciate 1
rameer5.00
      04-29-2019, 06:31 AM   #31
alpinaconvert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2016 Xdrive Xline

Eureka! Bought a 32GB stick and it came with FAT 32. Successful download and installation. Thanks for all the advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 06:35 AM   #32
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I think I was lucky in that I just picked up a 32GB stick to use for my recent update, and that "just worked"

A 16GB stick would not have been big enough for the "unzipped" map data for Europe West; the download was just over 14GB and it unzipped to over 16GB. And it seems that a 64GB stick would have been problematic due to the formatting constraints above...

I think the moral of the story is always use a 32GB stick, formatted with a FAT32 filesystem, for any map updates via USB. Don't go smaller, or bigger
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #33
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
I think I was lucky in that I just picked up a 32GB stick to use for my recent update, and that "just worked"

A 16GB stick would not have been big enough for the "unzipped" map data for Europe West; the download was just over 14GB and it unzipped to over 16GB. And it seems that a 64GB stick would have been problematic due to the formatting constraints above...

I think the moral of the story is always use a 32GB stick, formatted with a FAT32 filesystem, for any map updates via USB. Don't go smaller, or bigger
As you will see from my first and subsequent posts on this topic/heading, I successfully updated to Europe Way 2019-2 using a 16gb usb dongle, which is what BMW recommend as the minimum, although I have used a 64gb for an earlier update. The BMW Download Manager app has been updated in the past 6 months, but I recall having to download and install the latest version from BMW because it wasn’t in the Apple App Store. The update certainly made it easier to extract the download on my iMac, because I previously had to complete the download and then find the file on the appropriate folder to extract it manually before plugging it into the car. The latest version of Download Manager automatically proceeds to the extraction which, as I indicated, was to a 16gb usb dongle.
If you are downloading what I believe was the 'Next' BMW map update, whichever applies to your X1, as opposed to 'Europe Way' (my X1 has 'Way' type mapping) it appears that could be why you need the higher capacity than 16/32gb usb dongle.

Last edited by oakey46; 04-30-2019 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Pointed out differences between 'Next', and 'Europe Way' downloads.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #34
Phobia
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Europe West for detailed Norway mapping.
Great, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #35
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

I am about to head for the Alps. I wish to update all the maps on my SatNav. It recently updated over the air but from what I have gleaned this only covers the UK. It would be quite nice to have all the other countries updated. And the speed limits on RN roads in France showing 50 mph / 80 kph as per the new limits.
I have picked up I need a 64gb memory stick. Then I guess I stick this in my MacBook Air and go to the BMW site find the app and download ? Then stick that in the car and see what happens?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #36
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
I am about to head for the Alps. I wish to update all the maps on my SatNav. It recently updated over the air but from what I have gleaned this only covers the UK. It would be quite nice to have all the other countries updated. And the speed limits on RN roads in France showing 50 mph / 80 kph as per the new limits.
I have picked up I need a 64gb memory stick. Then I guess I stick this in my MacBook Air and go to the BMW site find the app and download ? Then stick that in the car and see what happens?
Despite what I’ve seen in the forum, you only need a 16gb USB dongle, which is what BMW currently suggest and has worked perfectly well for me, although I did use a 64gb dongle on one occasion. Even after the extraction of the update to the 16gb dongle it still shows 538mb available. Just be sure to format it, using your Mac Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder) as MS-DOS (FAT32) or it won’t accept the transfer from your computer to the USB stick.
Have you downloaded the BMWDownload Manager App? If not, you should be able to download the Mac version of the app via your BMW ConnectedDrive portal account. I’m sorry I can’t give you the precise link because it’s a long time since I installed the app on my iMac and (age thing!) I’ve forgotten precisely how I did. Also, once the Download Manager app is installed it tells you if an update to the app itself has to be downloaded. The actual Western Europe download takes quite a long time unless, you have a faster broadband connection than me (only c29mb). But that will give you the updated France etc roads info - latest Navigation version is Europe Way 2020-1, released sometime last month.
Installation in the car is quite easy - just plug the dongle into your USB socket in the tray below the centre armrest and when you turn on the ignition it should automatically start the installation, which takes approx 15-20 minutes. Don’t switch off your ignition in the meantime and, as an aside, you can’t enter a new destination on your iDrive screen if driving whilst the update is underway, although you can see the Map screen whilst driving and it restarts the Navigation when finished.
Hope that helps, although I don't know about the new France kph speed limits.

Last edited by oakey46; 01-17-2020 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 04:56 AM   #37
Fuzzzy
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 20d

Does any one know what countries are included in East vs. West?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:03 AM   #38
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

from Another forum

WEST . Andorra, Belgium, Germany, Germany, Finland, France, Greece, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Sterreich, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slowakische Republik , Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Vatican City.

Highways only: Albania, Russia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Estonia, Lettland, Litauen, Masedonien, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:04 AM   #39
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep

fromanother forum

East has full coverage of: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Germany, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Italy, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Czech Republic , Hungary, Vatican City, Russia, Ukraine.

Highways only: Albania, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, France, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Ireland, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Northern Macedonia, Portugal, and Spain.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:07 AM   #40
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep

from another forum
WEST
Andorra, Belgium, Germany, Germany, Finland, France, Greece, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Sterreich, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slowakische Republik , Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Vatican City.

Highways only: Albania, Russia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Estonia, Lettland, Litauen, Masedonien, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #41
Fuzzzy
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 20d

Thank you for sharing this.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #42
Great-Gatsby
Rep
Drives: 2015 F48 BMW X1 25D SportLine

The Route 2020-1 maps seems to be released but I'm not able to find a valid link to download them.
Anyone?
Appreciate 0